Black Spirituality Religion : what is spirituality to U??

word up

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 11, 2012
NYC
e
What is spirituality? What does this mean when Afrocentric people speak on their Spirituality? I'm just keeping it real and funky. Is one person more spiritual than the other? Can spirituality be judged? Did Ancient African people talk about their spirituality? Is spirituality now being used as a mental crutch as was religion to avoid critical thinking. Don't get mad now, i'm just looking for an exchange of ideas. So these are just a few questions I have. If you are spiritual, what has it done for you? What is it doing for our community? What does Spirituality mean to you

So we can't just sling the spiritual words around and alienate our people who don't know. Let's do some sharing. Thank you!

This post is to better understand.

Peace

What is spirituality? What does this mean when Afrocentric people speak on their Spirituality? It's common to hear these discussions of vagueness and deepness but let's get right down to the nitty gritty. Is it spoken of or lived? If so how? Is it another way of wearing a couch bag or Gucci shoes to be smug living more spiritual than the low lives? I'm just keeping it real and funky. Is one person more spiritual than the other? Can spirituality be judged? Did Ancient African people talk about their spirituality? Is spirituality now being used as a mental crutch as was religion to avoid critical thinking. Don't get mad now, i'm just looking for an exchange of ideas. So these are just a few questions I have. If you are spiritual, what has it done for you? What is it doing for our community? What does Spirituality mean to u? No more hiding behind vagueness.

BTW, i've met some very manipulative people with Voodoo alters and deep spiritual books and candles in their homes. :eek: AND MY SPIRIT TELLS ME DON'T TRUST. I also have friends who go to church or are just regular peoples who never heard of African Spirituality are more connected to me than the latter. I'd trust them with my life.
So we can't just sling the spiritual words around and alienate our people who don't know. Let's do some sharing. Thank you!

Peace

word up, your voice shines through this posting and shines as confrontational.

That's forgiven. I only want you to mild down and look forward.

I asked five different women to name three ancestors whom most resonate with them.

One woman named a living being, but by and by, the ancestors each were brave and defiant.

One woman named people that she knew, and admitted to remembering them in her self-improvement.

One woman named only her Great and Great-great grand parents. She later admits being family oriented.

One woman named Civil Rights leaders and her Grandmother, finding the question novel and different.

The last woman named revolutionaries: she praised changing the goings.

All of these answers depict a spirituality.

One can say that Whitney Houston "died" and one can say that Whitney Houston "passed on." The latter says that she went somewhere, the former that she is no more.

Spirituality is that she passed on. The plane to where she passed is as a spirit. And the celebration of ancestry is the acknowledgement of there being more to life than living.

Spirituality is an African idea, that's prevalent in our practice of traditional and foreign religions. There's no dichotomy. One more acknowledges, that is all.

Yes people in Africa claim to have spirituality. And you in your heart of hearts have spirituality.

For instance, you would not let someone slight one of your deceased.

To get to the nitty-gritty, "Spirituality" is a belief in the unseen.

It's possible that only Europeans do not have a belief in the unseen.

HTP

word up, your voice shines through this posting and shines as confrontational.

That's forgiven. I only want you to mild down and look forward.

I asked five different women to name three ancestors whom most resonate with them.

One woman named a living being, but by and by, the ancestors each were brave and defiant.

One woman named people that she knew, and admitted to remembering them in her self-improvement.

One woman named only her Great and Great-great grand parents. She later admits being family oriented.

One woman named Civil Rights leaders and her Grandmother, finding the question novel and different.

The last woman named revolutionaries: she praised changing the goings.

All of these answers depict a spirituality.

One can say that Whitney Houston "died" and one can say that Whitney Houston "passed on." The latter says that she went somewhere, the former that she is no more.

Spirituality is that she passed on. The plane to where she passed is as a spirit. And the celebration of ancestry is the acknowledgement of there being more to life than living.

Spirituality is an African idea, that's prevalent in our practice of traditional and foreign religions. There's no dichotomy. One more acknowledges, that is all.

Yes people in Africa claim to have spirituality. And you in your heart of hearts have spirituality.

For instance, you would not let someone slight one of your deceased.

To get to the nitty-gritty, "Spirituality" is a belief in the unseen.

It's possible that only Europeans do not have a belief in the unseen.

HTP

Thank you. There are many personalities in our community and they may or may not suit your liking but thanks for moving into providing some great information and focusing on the subject.
I appreciate and value your views. I'm still meditating on some of your insights. Now, may i ask you if Spirituality can be rated? For example if someone says " you're not spiritual enough" or you need to be more spiritual? What might this mean to you.

Thanks

e
What is spirituality? What does this mean when Afrocentric people speak on their Spirituality? I'm just keeping it real and funky. Is one person more spiritual than the other? Can spirituality be judged? Did Ancient African people talk about their spirituality? Is spirituality now being used as a mental crutch as was religion to avoid critical thinking. Don't get mad now, i'm just looking for an exchange of ideas. So these are just a few questions I have. If you are spiritual, what has it done for you? What is it doing for our community? What does Spirituality mean to you

Peace

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......With this thread and its questions, you've hit at the very heart and core of our beings, word up, profoundly done. Because there's no dearth of information here and you are fairly new, here's a link to the Forum housing many discussions on the subject, Spirituality:
Browse this Forum some and let's hope that others add conversation in the manner you've credited ABSiblings with, of following and focusing on the subject:

word up...thanks for moving into providing some great information and focusing on the subject. I appreciate and value your views. I'm still meditating on some of your insights.

Peace In,

Thank you. There are many personalities in our community and they may or may not suit your liking but thanks for moving into providing some great information and focusing on the subject.
I appreciate and value your views. I'm still meditating on some of your insights. Now, may i ask you if Spirituality can be rated? For example if someone says " you're not spiritual enough" or you need to be more spiritual? What might this mean to you.

Thanks

I am exploring this myself, but I perceive that spirituality relates to African ancestry. In particular, "Twa" ancestry. The so-called "pygmies" or diminutive people. The homo-sapien-sapiens. God's image. The "Negro" or "Congoloid." The 'blameless.' Those whom lived with God. OUR ancestors. That's my view.

Spirituality isn't really gradient. But certainly some acknowledge the spiritual world more than others.

To say that one is not 'spiritual enough' is to say 'be honest with yourself and marvel at the beauty of life.' It means that you are buying into European lies of materialism and no spiritualism. It means that you are shifting about without purpose.

I asked an African on the bus, "What is your purpose?" and he answered "to survive" and he hardly had ancestors to evoke. Compare that against the Sister who honoured revolutionaries and answered with a purpose toward uplifting African people. This is the essence of spirituality.

If you buy into individualism and materialism, there is nothing greater than yourself and Mammon is your deity. But if you follow communalism and spiritualism, you are about God. Spiritual warfare pushes Mammon on Africans. Through Mammon tyranny visits and revisits us.

This we know.

I like this question, though it's said that when we listen, we only hear our prejudices. If you re-post the question, in your fullest language, I would be happy to understand what you are asking. For instance, if someone said that you lack spirituality, but meant it in a African traditional sense rather than a Christian sense, then you should clarify.

Far as I understand, many ancestral customs survive in Christianity--for instance possession by the Holy Ghost is an African tradition.

Let's dialogue.

HTP

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back