Black Spirituality Religion : what is spirituality to U??

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by word up, Feb 12, 2012.

1. word up

word up Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +75
    e
    What is spirituality? What does this mean when Afrocentric people speak on their Spirituality? I'm just keeping it real and funky. Is one person more spiritual than the other? Can spirituality be judged? Did Ancient African people talk about their spirituality? Is spirituality now being used as a mental crutch as was religion to avoid critical thinking. Don't get mad now, i'm just looking for an exchange of ideas. So these are just a few questions I have. If you are spiritual, what has it done for you? What is it doing for our community? What does Spirituality mean to you

So we can't just sling the spiritual words around and alienate our people who don't know. Let's do some sharing. Thank you!

This post is to better understand.

Peace

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    word up, your voice shines through this posting and shines as confrontational.

That's forgiven. I only want you to mild down and look forward.

I asked five different women to name three ancestors whom most resonate with them.

One woman named a living being, but by and by, the ancestors each were brave and defiant.

One woman named people that she knew, and admitted to remembering them in her self-improvement.

One woman named only her Great and Great-great grand parents. She later admits being family oriented.

One woman named Civil Rights leaders and her Grandmother, finding the question novel and different.

The last woman named revolutionaries: she praised changing the goings.

All of these answers depict a spirituality.

One can say that Whitney Houston "died" and one can say that Whitney Houston "passed on." The latter says that she went somewhere, the former that she is no more.

Spirituality is that she passed on. The plane to where she passed is as a spirit. And the celebration of ancestry is the acknowledgement of there being more to life than living.

Spirituality is an African idea, that's prevalent in our practice of traditional and foreign religions. There's no dichotomy. One more acknowledges, that is all.

Yes people in Africa claim to have spirituality. And you in your heart of hearts have spirituality.

For instance, you would not let someone slight one of your deceased.

To get to the nitty-gritty, "Spirituality" is a belief in the unseen.

It's possible that only Europeans do not have a belief in the unseen.

HTP

3. word up

Ratings:
    +75
    Thank you. There are many personalities in our community and they may or may not suit your liking but thanks for moving into providing some great information and focusing on the subject.
    I appreciate and value your views. I'm still meditating on some of your insights. Now, may i ask you if Spirituality can be rated? For example if someone says " you're not spiritual enough" or you need to be more spiritual? What might this mean to you.

Thanks

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......With this thread and its questions, you've hit at the very heart and core of our beings, word up, profoundly done. Because there's no dearth of information here and you are fairly new, here's a link to the Forum housing many discussions on the subject, Spirituality:
    Browse this Forum some and let's hope that others add conversation in the manner you've credited ABSiblings with, of following and focusing on the subject:

Peace In,

5. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I am exploring this myself, but I perceive that spirituality relates to African ancestry. In particular, "Twa" ancestry. The so-called "pygmies" or diminutive people. The homo-sapien-sapiens. God's image. The "Negro" or "Congoloid." The 'blameless.' Those whom lived with God. OUR ancestors. That's my view.

Spirituality isn't really gradient. But certainly some acknowledge the spiritual world more than others.

To say that one is not 'spiritual enough' is to say 'be honest with yourself and marvel at the beauty of life.' It means that you are buying into European lies of materialism and no spiritualism. It means that you are shifting about without purpose.

I asked an African on the bus, "What is your purpose?" and he answered "to survive" and he hardly had ancestors to evoke. Compare that against the Sister who honoured revolutionaries and answered with a purpose toward uplifting African people. This is the essence of spirituality.

If you buy into individualism and materialism, there is nothing greater than yourself and Mammon is your deity. But if you follow communalism and spiritualism, you are about God. Spiritual warfare pushes Mammon on Africans. Through Mammon tyranny visits and revisits us.

This we know.

I like this question, though it's said that when we listen, we only hear our prejudices. If you re-post the question, in your fullest language, I would be happy to understand what you are asking. For instance, if someone said that you lack spirituality, but meant it in a African traditional sense rather than a Christian sense, then you should clarify.

Far as I understand, many ancestral customs survive in Christianity--for instance possession by the Holy Ghost is an African tradition.

Let's dialogue.

HTP

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I will answer one question you raised and that concerns what spirituality means to me.

It is an inner path which enables me to see the spirit within and to utilize my life force as a creative powerr to enhance my being in the materiality of my existence. It is the manner in which I utilize and enhance my creative power to master my external environment which enables me to increase my inner vision and inner standing.

7. word up

Ratings:
    +75

8. word up

Ratings:
    +75

I find that very enlightening. I'll chew on this for awhile. Thank you!

9. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    Real Spirituality is the 'spirit' part of spirituality.

The Unreal [apparent] Spirituality of most folks, regardless of blacks or anyone else, is based on courting the favor of a god engraven in their own image. Hence, you hear people talk about 'the man upstairs'. Or, they bow down to images of men with white or black skin who look pretty much like they do.

Real [transcendent] Spirituality is rooted in seeking to become One with the Spirit of Love [aka, God].

The mortals of this age of folks have no idea what Divine Love is. When they say love they mean lust, as in 'what have you done for me lately'.

But, there is, and has been since the Zep Tepi, however, One Love which flows far and away beyond mere mortality. That Love is the One Spirit which seeks the Oneness of All. That One Spirit has nothing to do with the emotionalism which forms the Root of pretty much all that passes for religion among mortals.

That One Love does not see black or white or any of the Ego-derived aspects of mortal individuality. It, God, that One Love, only sees All as One.

All else is Maya.

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    In order to actually grasp what "spirituality is or is not" calls for a redefining of what we have classified ourselves as. Most of us incorrectly think that "we are humans seeking to become more spiritual or seeking to align ourselves with our spirit". There in lies the first fallacy. The reality is that "we are spiritual beings living out a human experience". Just by this redefining of what we are or are not has changed the entire dynamics of this question.

It's the same as me telling you that "you're nothing but a sinner in need of being saved and that you were born in sin. How does one tell this with any conviction or reality to it to a child that hasn't even had the opportunity to lie, cheat, steal, fornicate or anything else"? Even worse, I started your life out by telling you that you're no good, you're filthy, a sinner, a person in need of being saved for events that "NO ONE ON THE EARTH CAN VERIFY OR PROVE with any level of reality to it to be true?? My mother did something millions of years ago and it was so horrifying that millions of years later every person on the earth is still paying for the crime????!!!??? Get TFO here!!!!!

I guess people do need to find a way to get to the core of their being after being layered and coated with gloom and doom from birth! I guess people do need to search out that which is always with them after being a victim of the greatest hoax in human history that; "If one searches any aspect of Afrakan history, has no reality in any myths, stories, spiritual writings or fables in any part of the continent". Therefore, in order to define or even experience that which we are made of, requires that we strip the layers of lies off of us in order to free ourselves so that we can be ourselves.

In order for us to understand how controlled we actually are...and how foreign concepts have shaped and warped our entire thinking process, living process, relating process, communication process and life process, is to watch a four part video entitled; Inside The Medieval Mind-Knowledge. These are by the BBC and are basically an expose on their own people....however, in the course of watching it, one will easily see how and where we got all our nonsense from that has alienated us from ourselves or from our spirit. We will also see how and what the impact of these white peoples BS has been on our lives as well.

I think that you asked a very good question that requires us to be in the process of healing in order for us to fully understand, expand and touch base with the very answers that you are seeking. The bully can't tell you what it's like to be a victim until he becomes one. The winner can't tell you what that is until he becomes one. The rich man can't tell you what poverty feels like until they experience it. The slave can't tell you what freedom feels like until they have it. The question that you've asked can not be answered until the layers that were consciously and subconsciously placed upon you have been removed. Only then will any definitions of spirituality begin to resonate within you as either being true or false....but whatever it is or is not to you, it will first resonate from within yourself....and yes, there are degrees of spirituality as there are of everything else in life.

And I still haven't told you what it is to me and for good reason. The very minute that I begin to actually try and define it, it will cease to be as I defined it, for spirit is beyond the confines of our ability to define it in this language. English has 26 letters. In ancient Kemet there are over 1,000 ideographs alone not counting the language. This means that we have been made retarded just by virtue of speaking the English language. If you think that I'm lying, ask someone who speaks another language and they will tell you that there are words in their language for which there is no English word for.

11. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    For me, it's like switching the labels on a bottle of coke and a bottle of pepsi.