Black People : What is really considered as racism?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Jul 13, 2009.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Okay, so me and some friends was talking and we ended up in the subject of interracial dating. They asked me would I date outside of my race and I told them "no" because i am not attracted to the opposite race. However, I do have friends of the opposite race. They still insist I am racist.... Because you are not attracted to the opposite race, does that make a person racist?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    what race are you?

3. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I am black... why would my race determine whether or not I am?

4. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304

Because blacks cannot be racist.
    Racism is more than just not liking someone because of their race.

5. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Why didn't you just tell them that it was a preference and not a determination that your race was better than another?

Also, remember. . ."Black" folks ain't a race. There is only one race. Human. We are a culture. If you have preference for skin color, tell them so. But I am pretty sure that your preference is actually cultural. True. . .most members of our culture has darker skin. But that doesn't mean you would date a dark skinned Arab does it????

We are African-Americans. . .the members of African-American Culture.

6. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    hahahaha...no and your friends need some schooling,you have already said that you have friends who are of a different race so you aren't racist,it doesn't make you odd that you stay with your own when it comes to dating and attraction sounds cool to me...oh and contrary to popular belief yes blacks are racist too.

7. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    This sounds real white of you which is no problem because your expressing how you feel but first let me inform you.

There is no such thing as race!!! There are different phenotypes but genetically we are 99.73 alike. All of humanity come from Africans which makes all of humanity Africa basically.

As far as your attractions are concerned - we all have something we like and dislike about each other whether its skin tone, eye colour, height, width, etc ... there is always variations in like and dislike.

The question that begs the answer if your white, do you like all the features of what is described white? Do you like red-hair, or blonde or neither but black and brunette. Do you like pale or tanned? Here in lies to problem with such as question, especially coming from Europeans.

There questions are based on the fictitious notion of race which makes one racist. The problem is - is that the whole focus is on a false identity that separates darker skin from lighter skin when in fact there are certain features you don't like about those whom you call white. If you eliminate the whole theory of race then you cannot be a racist because there are qualities about Europeans you don't like as well. There are certain types of Europeans, Asian if your Asian, etc .. that you don't like.

If you bring yourself to terms with this then this question would be invalid.

Peace

Ru2religious

8. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    okay it makes sense

I did tell them that's my preference and that;s when they said I am racist just for that. I have white friends but I am just not attracted to them. And sometimes there are white guys that would ask me if I am attracted to white men and I tell them the truth which is "no" and they say I'm racist. That's why I was wondering what the deal was.

9. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I understand where you are coming from.. but at the same time I didn't realize that was "white" of me.... but okay... I am just saying what happened, and they claim i'm racist... and I'm just trying to see how in the world I was being racist (if I really was)... cause it didn't make much sense to me...

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    IMO - you need to stop being with white people