Black People : What is Race ?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Edward Williams, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    What is "Race"?

And don't go looking for no definitions that were written by white people.

What is "Race"?

2. darkreign

darkreign Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    It would be hard not to do that since the term “race” is not that old in terms of it’s usage. Even in the bible, you won’t see the word “race” being used. People were referred to as tribe, people or nation.

3. Edward Williams

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    darkreign,

That is an interesting point but people are using the word all over these forums. Words are supposed to describe what you are looking at. If you have a concept of anything...how to build an automobile...how the universe works...you have to put it into words that lead you to the truth otherwise you end up fooling yourself.

Black people (non-white) people have been taught, incorrectly, that to master words we have find out what the words mean and use them in accordance with what the words mean. Now we will not admit this but if you observe our behavior that is the logic we follow.

The white people who practice racism (white supremacy) are the ones who are making the definitions of the words we use and they tell us what the words mean and we take the words with the definitions we are given and attempt to use the words, with the definitions we are given, against the same people who gave us the words and the definitions...and it just doesn't work. Because the white people who practice racism (white supremacy) know how to design the usage of a word so that when the word is used it doesn't work against them. Now that is how to master words...to take a word and give it a definitions that when the word is used it works for you...not for the people who are mistreating you on the basis of color.

A word is just a tool that should be used for one purpose and one purpose only...to establish understanding. The white people who practice racism (white supremacy) use words, because the words they use are designed by them, to establish understanding of how the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) works among them...and confuse how the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) works among us.

I use counter-racism language. I just say race is racism and there is no black race. There is only one race of people and that is the white race.

Now what does this mean? When a white person hears it...it means only white people can practice racism. I also always use the words racism and the term white supremacy together. To a white person this further cements that only white people can practice racism and also cements the fact that racism IS white supremacy. When black people (non-white) people hear it...we can't put it all together what it means but we instinctively understand that something is different. Now if we carefully observe the reaction of white people to what is said we learn some very interesting things.

For example, white people will ask you if you are saying that all white people are racist. My response is not all white people are racists (white supremacists) but all racists (white supremacists) are white people. This cements their suspicion of me...suspicion that I may be on to something in terms of understanding how the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) works and the white people who practice racism (white supremacy) will not want to have this kind of conversation. I've even been screamed at to stop using the words racism and the term white supremacy together...by white people. when black people hear me using those words together they don't think it means anything. If you don't think this is true just try it out and notice what is said and/or done by the people you are talking to.

This is how to master words. Sitting around talking about black people were kings and queens and how we need to get back to that...well...white people know how to handle that. They'll help you do that because they understand that use of language doesn't work against them. Through the use of words you program people's behavior. A master of words understands this. You change how people think because people use words to think with.

All I want to know is what the word means when the people who are using the word uses the word. That is the reason I started this thread. And the black people who are using the word "race" have to go back to the definitions white people gave them for the word to describe what is meant.

No...just describe what you mean when you use the word. If people can't do that they are not really saying anything that is coming from them, they are saying things that were designed tobe said by someone else. I apologize for the lengthy response but sometimes...when you are attempting to explain how something works you have to use a lot of words. After the concept has been explained thereis no need to do this.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother Edward Williams ... based on your definition above, what of the non-white people?

If there is only one race of people, white people, what group, category, label, etc., do you give to the non-whites (as it relates to this topic)?

Yes, i agree that most all of our words (and their meanings) have been given to us by them, but if we totally reject all that they've given ... we'd not really be talking right now ... i mean, we couldn't ... could we?

Their words have their place, but as you suggest, we should critique them (more) carefully.

Because i live under a system of white supremacy / racism, my definition of race reflects that. Basically i suppose, race is a way to differentiate white folk from all the other folk. As new peoples are created, via mixing one race with another, new races are created. It's as though they (white supremacists, racists) have given us a way to play with our own selves ... keep us busy figuring out something ... like what race we are ... or what race we wanna be ... so long as we clearly understand that we are not white ... while they go on with the business of racism white supremacy.

I understand your challenge, in asking us to create our definitions, but no matter what we say ... it will be mired in racism / white supremacy ... for most all of our words are conditioned by it ... shoot, the very words come from it! It can't help but manifest itself in our thought and speech.

It's almost as though you suggest we take the wetness out of water. I suppose it can be done, teach us how! :)

:heart:

Destee

5. robboy2003

robboy2003 Well-Known Member MEMBER

To bring strength and a calming influence,and to s
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am of a spirit that is all things,therefore i am. Others, can call me what they will,but I know, what and who i am. I need no validation for I am a Black Man.

My spirit likes to find pleasure with like spirits,before anything else. I am a spirit,and is of the Black experience!

Peace,and harmony!

6. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    Hmmm...your thread-starter doesn't make much sense. You ask the question to define race, yet don't want sources by White people used when White people were the ones who fabricated the whole idea of "race".

That is like asking for the definition of "Kemet", "Kammau", or "kam" without referring to African sources, namely the ancient Egyptian.

[​IMG]

7. 11FingerFreak

11FingerFreak Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    To me the term "race" is a fairly new concept someone dreamed up because they were to lazy to refer to ethnicities. It isn't convenient to call everybody you meet by their genetic heritage or the name of their civilization. So "race" as it is usually tossed around is shorthand for "generalized and most notable ethnic background associated and acknowledged with the subject being referred to." That way I can be "Black" instead of Yorubian Abyssinian Greek Jewish Lower French Cree Blackhawk American. Certainly a mouthful and no I won't say it 3 times really fast.

Your concept of racism would be the exact opposite case of both my own and the more universally accepted idea of what constitutes "racism," however. By the common definition the world is filled with racist maniacs. The Japanese versus everyone, French versus the Algerians, Blacks versus Mexicans, etc. Whites, by that definition, are just part of a larger trend to dislike, oppress, maim, and kill anyone who is different.

This doesn't necessarily invalidate your concept of racism. From a Black Liberation standpoint that is a fully valid statement. Only white people can be racist in that context.

As for not using the definitions offered by white people... we are sorta in a weird position. Since we speak English any definition will in some way be based on words that white people probably coined. Furthermore, since our cultural context is that of a Western European and Eurocentric civilization it would take many years of retraining to develop terminology from a perspective other than the tradition in which we are most familiar with. I think Maulana Karenga might've been trying something along those lines - trying to create an entirely different cultural context along the lines of a bricolage of different African cultures. Last I checked his efforts had splintered but was still in progress in one form or another.

That was a good one. :) Kinda postmodern in a way... playing with the language and all...

8. 11FingerFreak

11FingerFreak Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I really like that line. Sounds like you're turning the whole idea of race on its head by denying the existence of race for all except white people. Sorta like a "we're all one race - the human race" thing but with a Black Power fist attached. What would be really counter-racist would be to deny race altogether for everyone except those who insist on breaking humans up into little groups of "races" in the first place.

9. Edward Williams

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if there is such a thing as a non-white race of people?

According to counter-racist logic, if you a member of a race you are a racist. Race itself is racism and racism is white supremacy. There is no purpose for being a member of a race except to practice racism. Now that statement could be incorrect so I'll put it in the form of a question.

What is the purpose of a race of people?

If other people attempt to answer that question you'll see just how far away we get from race itself.

I'm not talking about rejecting all of the things white people have done or are doing. I'm saying the mistreatment on the basis of color has got to go. I'm not going to stop driving my automobile until it stops. We think...non-white people I mean...think that we have to completely disregard eveything that white people say and do and just do our own thing. I'll bet at some point Saddam may have thought that too. Ain't no way to do your own thing under this SYSTEM.

White people have a lot of knowledge about a lot of things. We can't deny this. Now the white people who practice racism (white supremacy) will tell you there is no way to do all of the things that the people of the known universe are doing unless people are mistreated on the basis of color. Because that is what they are in the business of doing. According to counter-racist logic a SYSTEM of justice, meaning a universe where it is guaranteed no person is mistreated and also guaranteed the person who needs help the most get the most help, would be a better SYSTEM than the current SYSTEM of injustice where it is guaranteed that people will be mistreated on the basis of color.

Why would we want to be a race at all? What is the criteria for being a race?

Try it out in talking to other people. See what their reactions to it is. When it comes to race, in a conversation with white people and non-white people try this...say that because of the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) there are only 3 basic categories of people:

White People
    Non-White People
    White Suprmeacists (Racists)

See what the reaction is from white people and non-white people. Write it down. The closer you get to exactly what racism (white supremacy) is white people get offended and non-white people get embarrassed. Even embarrassed enough to jump to the defense of white people. See for yourself. Don't take my word for anything.

I'm not sure that can be done...I guess it depends on what the meaning of the word "wetness" is. :) The white people who practice racism (white supremacy) are masters of words. We can become masters of words. It ain't rocket science. The person that controls the definitions of words controls the thought, speech, and action of every person that uses that word and its definition.

10. Edward Williams

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    Race is just a word. I know...I know...you got the same training I got. But a word doesn't mean anything...it is just a sound plus a design. A sound means whatever you want it to mean if you are making the sound. A design means anything you want it to mean if you are making the design. Ask any person that paints pictures. So-called gang members who are non-white understand that. It is said they are speaking in a language called "graffiti". In most instances it looks like heiroglyphics to me. But they understand that when they make a design it means something to them. You might look at it and it look like chicken-scratch to you but they can write it and understand it when someone else write it.

Ever watch a movie called Brother From Another Planet? Check it. That's an interesting movie. Not so much because of the slave angle...but moreso because of how the other people from the same planet as the Brother were all communicating with each other. Via designs...no sounds...but they understood sounds. Very interesting.