Black People : What is Paranormal ?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

This term, paranormal, is relatively new but it seems to deal with things of old.

Things that have historically been presented to us as taboo, discouraged by most, yet now seems to be all the rage.

What is this for real ... a renaming of some old African Spirituality / Religion?

It's almost like they have repackaged "voodoo" or the likes, and are claiming it as their own.

Am i way off Family?

Whatcha think?

:heart:

Destee

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Sister Destee,

I'm totallly surprized this thread hasn't drawn any takers...if you will accept my novice input, prehaps what is called animism would be the origin of the paranormal; and yes it traces back to our people, being the originals, in my view.

3. Workinprocess

Workinprocess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +223
    Nice to meet you Destee...

I think this man knows what he is talking about.

More information:
    "What is paranormal?
    We are often asked, "What exactly does paranormal mean?" The term paranormal is used to describe a wide variety of activity and phenomena. According to the Journal of Parapsychology (a quarterly publication devoted primarily to the original publication of experimental results and other research findings as published by the Parapsychological Association), the term paranormal describes "any phenomenon that in one or more respects exceeds the limits of what is deemed physically possible according to current scientific assumptions." The actual word is derived from the Latin use of the prefix para meaning "outside or beyond" what is considered normal."

Read more: http://www.milwaukeeparanormal.com/What-IS-Paranormal.html

Clyde Coger, in response to what you said about the animals:

"Cryptozoology
    Cryptozoology is the study of animals that are rumored to exist, but for which conclusive proof is still missing. Scientists have demonstrated that some creatures of mythology, legend or local folklore were rooted in real animals or phenomena. Thus, cryptozoologists hold that people should be open to the possibility that many more such animals exist. In the early days of western exploration of the world, many native tales of unknown animals were initially dismissed as superstition by western scientists, but were later proven to have a real basis in biological fact. Cryptozoological supporters have noted that many unfamiliar animals, when first reported, were considered hoaxes, delusions, or misidentifications. The Platypus, Giant Squid, Mountain Gorilla, Grizzly-polar bear hybrid, and Komodo Dragon are a few such creatures."

http://www.milwaukeeparanormal.com/What-IS-Paranormal.html

Hope this helps.

It's

just

a

signature

W.I.P :whip:

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Workinprocess...its animism not animals.

5. Workinprocess

Ratings:
    +223

Correct me if I am wrong Mr. Coger but isn't animism the belief that souls exist in animals, trees, water and some other things etc. I won't get into right now?

This is not an invite to a debate sir, just a simple question that I respectfully ask.

W.I.P
    :whip:

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

The question becomes why Cryptozoology? And what's with the Mr. Coger and the Sir?

7. Workinprocess

Ratings:
    +223

I get the impression that you prefer Mr. Clyde or simply Clyde Coger. Forgive me if I showed some kind of disrespect by calling you sir, for that was not my intention to be disrespectful.

As for what the question becomes, who say's? I asked you a question which you did not answer. I can see where this will lead to if I continue to engage you. I am a Work in Process so I try to learn from my first impressions. People are people, no use in trying to get them to compromise themselves. With that said Mr. Clyde. You misunderstood why I posted what I posted. If you don't understand what my purpose was, from where I stand, the right thing to do is simply ask. For you to say this in response to what I posted "Workinprocess...its animism not animals." Gives me the impression that you are trying to invite me. The proof of that is confirmed here when you said this after I respectfully asked you a simple question "The question becomes why Cryptozoology? And what's with the Mr. Coger and the Sir?"

Again Mr. Clyde, my apologies if I disrespected you by calling you sir. In addition, I am going to have to decline your invite.:peace:

W.I.P :whip:

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

So be it Workinprocess,

It stands...its animism not animals. Also, respect(since I'm now Mr and Sir and all) would have double checked the animism reference rather than to ask me a question, from my perspective; nevertheless, this excerpt should help:

However, a refinement of animism was proposed called animatisms. Instead of having the notion of a personal soul, it was believed there was an impersonal force or supernatural power that animated everything; and that belief evoked emotions of awe and fear in man, which becomes the initial basis for religion.

http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=507056&postcount=774

You were slightly off with animals in juxtaposition with animatisms...Peace In Workinprocess, this will be our last exchange, for real!

9. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    That's a sign of respect :)

ANYWAYS...

Paranormal is something beyond normal..."Para" means past, beyond. Never did get into any of that kind of stuff. Though I like movies about ghosts and stuff. But just don't believe in it. Now Voodoo and all that such I'm not sure of any of that either...I'll have to do some digging up in it...Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this thread

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

MsInterpret,

Maybe it is a sign of respect and maybe its not, since it goes both ways, I took it as sarcasm. Maybe I'm wrong for that, but I have my reasons...Peace In my sister friend.