Science and Technology : What Is Needed to Produce a Reality Show?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Destee, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family! :love:

Brother MetaSaience has made mention of us ... me ... :D ... producing a reality show!

I know nothing about what is involved with such. What equipment, money, expertise, etc., is needed to do such a thing.

So i'm asking ... what is needed to produce a reality show?

Keep in mind that we're poor ... :grouphug: ... so we must do it at the highest quality, as inexpensively as possible! :)

Thanks in advance Family! :toast:

:heart:

Destee

2. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Beautiful! I didn't know I could hit the nail on the head like that! Mother Destee, honestly I think you would be B.rilliant at it.

I know as far as what it takes to shot, edit, and get the product on dvd or web.
    But I'll tell you, producers are starting to do web reality shows. Not just youtubers but television producers are starting to do this as well.

A very popular web reality show is the Next Internet millionaire.
    www.nextinternetmillionaire.com

Here's another one:
    http://www.blacknews.com/news/the_16_week_challenge101.shtml

A few magazine publishers like Vogue are working on web reality shows as well. The thing about web reality, is as you've already figured it would be easy only because you don't have to solicit the attention of a Television/cable network. But if you did, you'd have to develop the show, shot a few episodes and contact- say like a BET, TV-ONE, MTV etc., to purchase the series from you.

So what most producers are going for now, is either the web or dvd concept.
    As far as equipment a good 3ccd mini dvd camera and excellent lighting equipment will give you the high quality required for a good reality show. There are some cameras for just under $900 that can do the job well. I have a panasonic 3ccd camera I got on ebay from about $850 -wonderful quality, also because I know how to create perfect lighting.

Another Brotha I know uses some of the same techniques, while- I don't like his writing quality- he was the concept down somewhat.

www.lantawoodtv.com

I think you can get anyway with a good minidv camera, good lighting, good editing- as long as the material you are filming is of good interest. It all comes down to the creativity in post and pre-production. A good knowledge of video editing software is helpful, but not needed if a pro is doing it. A pro always makes the difference in the editing room. But, you can always learn abode premiere, or if you want to use a mac- final cut pro. There is so much a pro will know as far as editing sound and certain scenes that it might be worth the frustration to hire someone just for that aspect.

As far as money, if you have a good team together, folks will basically volunteer the equipment and their services, camera-man, editor etc. If the reality show will be on the web then you may want to edit into it ads or commercials for sponsors which will pay for you efforts. If the series is sold on dvd you can make the money from that. The Brotha from lantawoodtv sells his at gas stations for $10 the owners get $3.00. Most of his team does the work for exposure, especially the actors. The editors, camera men, directors, writers -etc, are the ones that get paid from the sales.

Mother Destee, you might be surprised how many people will fund this type of effort, especially small businesses that need advertising, or even people who want to write, act etc., and want to be part of some type of conscious medium.

I'd love to see what programs you come up with!

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother MetaSaience ... oh my oh my oh my !!!! :blush: ... this is so exciting! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

You most definitely hit the nail on the head, but you do that often !!! ... :love:

You've given me lots of information to start thinking on and researching. I'll check out all the links you've provided! Thank You!

Tell me Brother ... what kind of time frame would this require ... i mean ... like ... from the moment we say ... okay, let's really try to do this ... till the first finished piece? I guess this would include gathering all the experts together, and everything ... how much time are we looking at?

Oh Boy! :great: :great: :great:

Thank You Brother MetaSaience!

Family ... if you happen to be knowledgeable in ANY OF THIS ... want to be a part, have resources, need some exposure, all of that ... please share your thoughts with us! :D

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

4. Metaverse

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    I'm glad you're excited Mother Destee, producing a reality show would be the perfect next level for you and Destee.com. Your time frame would depend on the type of show you are producing.

Some reality shows are filmed within a month even down to a week, as far as the filming. The good thing about reality shows is that it's not supposed to be scripted. If say if you made a list of your most popular subjects on Destee. "Could we defend ourselves again re-enslavement" for example, the next level to that would be doing a show about 2 sides. Those of us who think we can defend ourselves and those who think we can't. Some reality shows make us feel that we are easedropping into someone's world. Some of us may want to see how Blacks on either side of the fence might carry about in their world.

"Interviewing our Elders" is another good one. I would enjoy watching a reality show about important Elders that have gone unnoticed and are living common and simple lives. Again, no script is required. It's all a matter of filming situations we are interested in seeing. That is key with most reality shows.

I should mention really the most important factor to all this is your story telling ability. That factor also determines your time frame. It might take a week to tell your story, or it might take a month. Once everything is in the can, then you get to the post production stage. This is why a good editor is very important.

This is the Man or Woman that gets everything on the camera moving and jumping the way it should so people will be interested in watching it. If you're doing a 22-30 minute show for example, you should have at least 45-60 minutes of footage. This give the editor space to move around. There will always be things you will want to chop out. Think about what type of music you want as well. How do you want your titles, fonts, effects etc. Not all editors can pull off good effects, and perhaps this is not something you will want to stress in the beginning. Overall it can take less than a week to edit 60 minutes of footage. Again, it depends on how much filming you do.

CBS' online reality show "Inturn"
    www.cbs.com/originals/inturn

Since money is always the issue. I would start with a show I know my sponsors/investors would sponsor, that's if I was doing a online reality show. If I'm doing a DVD series I would do something I know my people are interested in buying. If you have a good team everything will go smoothly. A good camera person with a good camera. Good space to film your scenes and characters. A good person that knows how to charm people as you film them. Also known as the "stage manager." This person is also responsible for making sure scenes flow right and the information or story you needed to shoot for that day is in the can. A good motivation person. A good video editor with talent and creativity. A good director/producer- yourself!

Once you have your final edit- you'll be all set to distribute your show.

5. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Meta, is giving you some wonderful information Destee. If you are really serious about starting a reality, once you get the filming done, there are many outlets that you can use to reach the masses ie youtube. It doesn't have to be complex it can be extremely simple.

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i've been on this site for quite some time now...
    and brother meta shines the light like no other i've seen...
    good ish...and grand idea destee...i'm no expert but i'm down 4 the cause...

one love
    khasm

7. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    It's uncanny this subject is coming up. Had you called me (it's not to late) you'd be in a far more advanced stage at doing a TV show right now than you would imagine. I got all the tools and we're in the process of making it happen and I've made it happen before, so holla back!!!!!!!!
    :peace:

8. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    you just keep on a thinkin like this here, MsLady!! destee.com is sure to grow on into something real big and fine you keep going on like this!!

great idea/concept. and looks like there could be some serious feasibility, and realitve "ease" to the concept?

after them first couple three ideas, how's about giving this one a thought or two?

9. Metaverse

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Bro. and Mayor Hiphopolx- thank you for all the knowledge you shared today.

Mother Destee another route as Bro. Hiphopolx suggested is using public access to get started. Most cities have a free public access station, totally free to it's residence, all you have to do is sign up. Sometimes there is a waiting list, it depends on how active and station is. What's beautiful about this route is that first, you get training. They train you and your crew on all the equipment, camera, video editing, lighting, graphics etc. And you get to set up your program format the way you want too. And, even though you're on public access you can still solicit for advertisers and sponsors.

The now famous Miss "Alexyss Tylor" started out on PeopleTV right here in Atlanta, and that's a public access cable station.

10. Writspirit

Writspirit Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Is to make myself the best human being I can in th
    Ratings:
    +77
    In NY it is the MNN (Manhattan Neighborhood Network). There is one in every borough. I attended the one in the Bronx offered on the campus of Lehman College called Bronx Net. You have to pay for it but its a more structured class. The free ones are all over the place and not as structured. The Bronx offers you Field and desk anchor. I took the field since desk anchor is much harder to get. You learn about lighting, film, camera work and editing. Unfortunately, I learned on annalog and now everything is digital so I will have to take the course over. But you do leave with a producers certificate. The thing is, you have your crew during the class but once you leave you are on your own.

I found it easier to go to radio so I did. But its great to have the TV experience. And its one of the best ways that community people can utilize their talents and actually have a venue (public access cable) to showcase their work. :hearts1: