African Traditional Religion : what is Khemet Shemsu or Shemu

Discussion in 'African Traditional Religion Study Group' started by jackel7, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jackel7

jackel7 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Shalom People

I am trying to find out the meaning and root of the words of Shemsu and shemu. If you understand the full meaning, it's history and can explain it to me, Please share. I will truly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    I actually meant to hit quote - not thanks.

It seems as though the obvious reason that you are looking to find the root to the meaning of Shemsu or even Shemu is because your looking to see if there is a connection between Shemsu/Shemu and the Hebrew Shem who is supposed to be the father of the Yisrael/Yisraar people correct?

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php/showthread.php?t=44482&page=10

Nye

Ru2religious

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Thanks for bumping that thread. Those were the days! Brother Nibs did a more than adequate breakdown and I just want to emphasize an earlier point I had made in that thread and it has to do more with the topography of "Upper Egypt" rather than a class of people/warriors, which really has nothing to do with a historical character known as 'Shem".

This map of ancient Egypt depicts Upper Egypt. Upper Egypt extended from the Libyan Desert south past Abu Simbel. The labelling of "upper" and "lower" seems counterintuitive, with Upper Egypt in the south and Lower Egypt in the north, but in fact relates to the Nile which flows from the highlands of East Africa (upstream) to the Mediterranean Sea (downstream). Upper Egypt was known as Ta-Shemau and was divided into twenty-two areas called Nomes.

http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/nomesupper.html

There is an interesting thread on the following forum which gives some reference to where the location of this geographical entity was located in relation to Kush and Nubt (Nubia).

http://sudanforum.net/showthread.php?p=1410928

This is relevant in understanding the historical events unfolding today.

4. jackel7

jackel7 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Yes that is correct. I know khemet and Yashral had a lot of dealings with each another.

5. Amun-Ra Asaru

Amun-Ra Asaru Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    iirc there was a group of asiatics foriegners goin by the name of shemsu-hor in kemet at one time. pretty sure i read that in metu neter vol 1 by ra un nefer amun. if this is a good lead i could probably dig up some more info on the group goin by shemsu-hor

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

The Shemsu Hor were the Followers of Horus the High Priests of Heliopolis (On), therefore indigenous to the Nile civilization of Ta Shemu.

7. jackel7

jackel7 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Shem were africans that went out in ancient times. They fathered (teachings) the middle easterners.

8. Amun-Ra Asaru

Ratings:
    +22
    my bad this is correct. they were a pre-dynastic also. as far as them having anything to do with the shem of the bible thats a huge reach considering "shemsu" means followers of.

9. jackel7

jackel7 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    It is not reaching.....they were called nobles are honorables....There is a connection between them and more than likely it is Cush. Cush had eastern colonies in ancient times...The land of Sumer...transposed later to sumeria...Those names stem from shem.. just pronounced differently.

10. Amun-Ra Asaru

Ratings:
    +22
    yes we know the kushites had a worldwide empire and remember that they originated the egyptian culture along with india, arabia, sumaria and many more not really sure what this has to do with the bible though maybe you can show me how it connects