Omowale Jabali : WHAT IS INSTITUTIONAL RACISM?

Discussion in 'Omowale Jabali' started by Omowale Jabali, Jan 18, 2008.

?

Does Institutional Racism Exist today in 2008?

Poll closed May 2, 2011.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Let's look at a simple definition according to the wikipedia.

Institutional racism (or structural racism or systematic racism) refers to a form of racism which occurs specifically in institutions such as public bodies, corporations, and universities. The term was coined by black nationalist, pan-Africanist and honary prime minister of the Black Panther Party, Stokely Carmichael. In the late 1960's, he defined the term as "the collective failure of an organisation to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture or ethnic origin."

The first thing I want to point out about brother Carmichael's [Kwame Ture] definition is that it does not mention anything about "race" but rather "colour, culture or ethnic origin."

Nor does this basic definition mention anything about "white supremacy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

Rather than argue over the terms "white supremacy" or "race" I would appreciate a discussion in reference to opinions concerning brother Stokely's basic definition of "Institutional racism" and in doing so ask, Does institutional racism exist today and if so, how does it manifest?

2. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    I would have to say that of course it exists today. And it is manifested in institutions like the educational and justices systems.

They have a negative disproportionate impact upon the African-American Community. Other non-"White" communities are affected also. But we won't go into that.

We know that we are negatively affected because we have facts, statistics, personal experience, and common sense. The issue is that this does not seem to be enough for some. I know you wanted to leave out the terms, but that is why "White" supremacy gets talked about. We are being asked to provide evidence that "Whites" overtly hate "Blacks". Because contrasting viewpoints actually believe that hatred must be present in order for us to claim that an institution is racist.

It is the second coming of the thought police. Whatever happened to the respect for facts and truth? I agree that a conversation about racist institutions need not cover this ground. But it is extremely hard because without knowledge of how racism works, you can't understand how an institution can be racist and/or perpetuate racist beliefs.

3. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Institutional Racism, an alternate Definition

The following is from:
    http://civilliberty.about.com/od/raceequalopportunity/g/inst_racism.htm

Definition: The term "institutional racism" describes societal patterns that have the net effect of imposing oppressive or otherwise negative conditions against identifiable groups on the basis of race or ethnicity.

"Carmichael felt that it was important to distinguish personal bias, which has specific effects and can be identifed and corrected relatively easily, with institutional bias, which is generally long-term and grounded more in inertia than in intent. Carmichael made this distinction because, like Martin Luther King, Jr. he had grown tired of white moderates and uncommited liberals who felt that the primary or sole purpose of the civil rights movement was white personal transformation."

"Carmichael's primary concern and the primary concern of most civil rights leaders, was and is societal transformation--a much more ambitious goal."

"In the United States, institutional racism results from the social caste system that sustained, and was sustained by, slavery and racial segregation. Although the laws that enforced this caste system are no longer in place, its basic structure still stands to this day."

Therefore, according to this definition, Institutional Racism manifests as a SOCIAL CASTE SYSTEM that was sustained by SLAVERY AND RACIAL SEGREGATION

Key terms:
    Social
    Caste
    System
    Slavery
    Racial
    Segregation

Also known as: societal racism, cultural racism.

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I won't attempt to censor you for mentioning "white supremacy" or "blacks" and "whites". And I do not represent the "thought police". However, I have myself been warned concerning taking some thread topics "off-topic" and, as a result, am asking the same consideration. I am also trying see if this discussion can focus on brother Carmichael's definition, or those related PRIOR to common equation of racism with "white supremacy".

If this is not possible then I would at least appreciate some references, with quotes, of those who equate INSTITUTIONAL RACISM with "white supremacy".

This is not intended to be a discussion of how white people "think" but of how people are discriminated against by a SOCIAL CASTE STRUCTURE, of which "black people" are not the sole people discriminated against.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Another definition is given in the following.

http://institutionalracism.net/default.aspx

One point I quote from this is,

"Although institutional racism may not necessarily be caused by intentional racism, it does however have very serious consequences for people of color in the United States especially in the health care system."

Did you know?

Percentage of people who think that race or ethnicity present barriers to getting quality health care:

whites 48%
    African-Americans 67%
    Hispanics 69%

This is a very important point because of a lack of affordable health care system servicing non-whites, which contributes to increasing poverty as the capitalist economic system is deepening into "recession".

6. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Institutionalized Racism has led to....

Cultural Schziophrenia in Afreekan Descendents!

Have to come back to this later....IF it is the Will of H.I.M.

:hearts2:

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Race, Black Men and the Law

Question:

"Does institutional racism exist today and if so, how does it manifest."

Answer: Yes it does exist today. The following article is one perspective relative to how institutional racism manifests in the context of the "social justice" within the united states.

http://www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/racelect01.htm

8. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Understood. I think I have some links on my other computer. I will try and post that information.

As for the point that, we are not the only people discriminated against, of that I am fully aware. The issue here is a matter of perspective. We would have to analyze those perspectives to get a better understanding of just how institutional racism effects different groupings. I have some references here also. There is one particular perspective that I have been studying the last two years.

It is interesting how institutions do not generally effect groups of non-"Whites" in the same way.

I will return shortly.

9. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    a form of racism which occurs specifically in institutions

YES IT DOES EXIST.

All you have to do really is get a job... and just look around.

open your eyes up.

everything is an institution. what we call democracy is an institution. jail is an institution. school is an institutuion.

and most have been institutionalized.

it's all a game... and if u can find the loop holes you can make your way through......

c i don't care about getting fired.... cause at the end of the road there ain't nothing there for me really...

i know how to fish... i learned.... so if they throw me a fish I leave it on the floor..... because that represents my dignity.

JUST MY OPINION.... NO REAL METHOD JUST THOUGHTS ON THE QUESTION......

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Valid points!