Black People : What is "hate" and where does it come from?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UBNaturally, Apr 20, 2016.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    This is to avoid any other interference with other threads...

In the context of how some thrive off of "hate", is there any way to find the root source of this emotional trait as it relates to human civilizations?

Whether this be gang vs gang, nation vs nation, culture vs culture, god/demigods vs god/demigods, etc.

upload_2016-4-20_17-14-3.png

What brings such hate, what drives the conflict(s), and is there any remedy other than complete annihilation of the supposed "adversary"?

Respect

2. Senegal

Senegal Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +191
    Hate is the by product of living in a constant state of barely perceptible fear. As humans when you first meet someone you go through what is called a freeze, flight, or fight response. If you do not sense any immediate harm to yourself you then begin to categorize that person according to your personal filter. Your filter is based on everything you know or have heard about your experience with similar people. Since humans have an amazing tendency to view the world negatively in order to survive, we usually assume the worst unless we are aware of this tendency.

3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

Agreed, hate is seemingly a by product of fear, similar to a sort of tonic that allows some to overcome the anxiety.

But the odd thing about it is that some thrive off of and even love to hate.

Almost like it is a mental illness, that we don't treat as such.

Would one consider this a mental illness (perpetual hate that is) ?

4. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Hatred from one ethnicity to another, one nation, one group, one soul to another is complex just like love is between any two parties.

I don't believe it's as simple as always stemming from fear or even just misunderstanding, but it's difficult to put into words what kind of energy "hate" truly is.

5. ~> PR!SM <~

~> PR!SM <~ New Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe hate is a form of emotionally bottled up resentment. I think the link to the resentment can be of varying sorts like unforgiveness or even envy. All the times an apology would not suffice to settle matters for some instances of hate but if genuine should not it? I'd think the weight of the circumstances or trespass is what many look at. Then some hate linked to resentments of treatments or conditions such as jealousy or feeling unfairly done. Some hate because it's just something to do there are those who feed off it. Some hate comes from areas that are really not sensible. Hate won't solve much but in some cases people are not willing to seek a solve because their hate is based in bias whether it be sensible or not in a logical way.

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    I thought about this, Sis. Angela and what I thought about was, is hate a social construct or a natural human emotion? What I mean by that is, I think the root of "hate" is fear because fear is a natural human reaction or response to a stimulus or situation, not hate. If what we are afraid of is proven to be harmful when we first encounter it, then we learn over time to hate it. We see it again and it triggers a memory, not to like it.

The concept of "hate" can be taught to people who have no personal experience with that which others claim they should hate. That's socially motivated and learned through observation. For example, someone tells us to hate Black people (messaging), we are shown images of Black people (visual), then we learn to recognize Black people and remember that we should hate them. Thoughts convert into behavior and we treat Black people badly because we hate them.

That seed of "hatred" is now planted into our memory although an experience on a personal level with a Black person may not support the feeling of hatred toward them, thereby causing internal conflict between the mind and heart. So I wonder, in interracial relationships (heart overwhelmed the mind) do you ever really forget the message that lies dormant in our memory that we should "hate" Black people?

7. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    i'm going to take a chance on creating animosity, thus nurturing others hatred of me.:(

fear has nothing to do with hatred. of course, this is my opinion...and you have my permission to disagree.

hatred is a selfish need to dislike someone different than ourselves--nationally, racially, sexually, etc. this selfish desire breeds in us, a need to show that we do not love that individual. so, you could say that hatred is the absence of love--although most people will say it's the opposite of love. it is that part, within us, that makes holding on to our anger such hard work. I keep saying "selfish" because, if you take yourself out of any scenario calling for hatred, you find that there's nothing to hate--a person is a person, what's there to hate; nor can you hate a situation. so, where does hatred come from? as NNQueen said, and PR!SM alluded to, hatred is a teachable concept that gains traction when selfish needs come into play...just as we're taught to fear. Love is the only truly natural emotion we know. in order to "hate" anyone, or anything, we have to suppress our natural desire to love--again, that hard work needed to exhibit hatred. even then, it's hard to maintain that hard line. for example, we may claim to hate someone close to our self, but if they force us to laugh, we cannot maintain that hard line (of our claimed hatred).

ergo, hatred is the (attempted) self-imposed absence of love...and directing those energies toward a specific person, place, or thing.

people don't thrive off hatred, they thrive of their fears...fears they label as hatred because they don't want to admit that they're afraid of what they're afraid of.

Again, my opinion.

• Respectful Respectful x 1
    • List