Black People : What is Happening at WPFW? The Fight to Save Community Radio

RAPTOR

Sep 12, 2009
The recent and surprising changes imposed on WPFW 89.3 FM Pacifica Radioin Washington, D.C. by its management have been referred to by some as a “coup.” This is the feeling held by so many long-time listeners, programmers, volunteers and staffers precisely because of the undemocratic and unceremonious nature of the programming changes – most of which came as last minute “surprises” to programmers – and the importation of NPR, corporate-underwritten programming whose political and cultural content cannot be seen as consistent with the mission of the Pacifica radio network or of WPFW itself. Today’s show was dedicated to these and other issues and included a roundtable of current and former programmers and staff: Tom Porter, Katea Stitt, Netfa Freeman, Mark Bolden, Bob Daughtry and Todd Burroughs.

Listen to the roundtable discussion: http://www.voxunion.com/wpfw-the-fight-to-save-community-radio/

RAPTOR

Sep 12, 2009
A good station that I listen to online, that deal with a lot of issues that are hardly, if at all, dealt with in mainstream media.

The recent and surprising changes imposed on WPFW 89.3 FM Pacifica Radioin Washington, D.C. by its management have been referred to by some as a “coup.” This is the feeling held by so many long-time listeners, programmers, volunteers and staffers precisely because of the undemocratic and unceremonious nature of the programming changes – most of which came as last minute “surprises” to programmers – and the importation of NPR, corporate-underwritten programming whose political and cultural content cannot be seen as consistent with the mission of the Pacifica radio network or of WPFW itself. Today’s show was dedicated to these and other issues and included a roundtable of current and former programmers and staff: Tom Porter, Katea Stitt, Netfa Freeman, Mark Bolden, Bob Daughtry and Todd Burroughs.

Listen to the roundtable discussion: http://www.voxunion.com/wpfw-the-fight-to-save-community-radio/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Whats happening Now ??????????? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : black rhythm happening....... Black Entertainment 0
HODEE Black Poetry : I Don't Know what is happening Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
chuck Black People : What's Happening To D Town Might Happen To Your Town Too! Black People Open Forum 33
Chevron Dove Science and Technology : A LUNAR ECLIPSE...Happening... Science and Technology 1
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Marvin Gaye, What's Happening Brother Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Is God Responsible For What Has And Is Happening In Haiti? Chief Elder Osiris 3
Ankhur Black People : Is Eminent Domain happening in your hood? White developers, snatching Black homes? Black People Open Forum 13
HODEE Black People : GET HELP.. KEEP UP with what is happening Black People Open Forum 5
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : THINGS HAPPENING Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
T Black People : What's happening on the Foster Care front Black People Open Forum 2
Jahari Kavi Black People : Why Does It Keep Happening???? Black People Open Forum 35
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : SOMETHING IS HAPPENING? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 17
N Kenya : What is happening in Kenya? Kenya 0
A Allergies--This CAN'T be happening! Black Health and Wellness 7
G Black Relationships : What is happening? Need a little advice. Black Relationships 23
S Black People : Can Somebody tell me what's happening ..... Black People Open Forum 5
I Black Poetry : Whats happening? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Destee Black Entertainment : Black Raopers Talkin Bout Their Mommas - Is it happening yet? Black Entertainment 29
R Black People : Why Is This Happening In Our Community? Black People Open Forum 5
U Black Events : Anything happening in North Carolina? Black Events 1
L This Can Not be happening! Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 4
A Black Poetry : Brotha It Ain’t Happening Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
S Black Poetry : What's Happening To Poetry? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
Destee What's Happening @ Destee ?!? - 11/18/02 Announcements 0
Destee What's Happening @ Destee ?! Announcements 0
Destee Site News : What's Happening @ Destee ?!? Announcements 2
alyce Quiet Poetry Lounge : mystory ("the happening") Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
HODEE Black People : ADOS Its origins, troublesome ties and fears it's dividing Black folk in the fight for reparations _ IS ANY OF THIS AFFILIATION TRUE? Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Attorneys discuss civil rights fight, from Rosa Parks to Trayvon Martin African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Controversial group ADOS divides black Americans in fight for economic equality Black People Politics 2
H Black People : Haroon ullah revelation on Digital World War: Islamists, Extremists, and the Fight for Cyber Supremacy Black People Open Forum 1
KRAZYK Black People Politics : Why are we still fighting the same fight of racism Black People Politics 22
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Children : Four Inmates Faked a Fight to Escape Florida Juvenile Detention Center Black Children 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Zimbabwe : Zimbabwe seeks $35 million to fight cholera outbreak Zimbabwe 1
Destee Black People Politics : How Can I Fight for Your Baby - When My Baby is Being Shot in the Street? Black People Politics 17
Clyde C Coger Jr Niger : US builds drone base in Niger, crossroads of extremism fight Niger 2
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: never bother the scorn, father was born far away I'm in the car today Americanize and fight Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : never bother the scorn, father was born far away I'm in the car today Americanize and fight this cha Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Fight The Power Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
IFE Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Here we go again: Fight In Nail Salon - Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 11
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : teen-convicted-in-school-fight homicide Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : buck-up-democrats-and-fight-like-republicans Black People Politics 1
Liberty Black Sports : Mayweather Says McGregor Fight 'Possible,' Pacquiao Rematch Discussed Black Sports 0
Liberty Law Forum : Korey Wise Of “Central Park Five” Donates $190,000 to Help Fight Wrongful Convictions Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
KMeister Law Forum : Police reveal person of interest in hit and run after girl fight Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
RAPTOR Black People : Woman Involved in Starting McKinney Pool Fight Placed on Administrative Leave by CoreLogic Inc. Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : the fight for truth on the ground in baltimore.... Black People Open Forum 22
Kemetstry Black Sports : MAYWEATHER v PACQUIAO FIGHT SET 2???? Black Sports 27
Therious Black Sports : Move Over Bruce Lee? Great Fight Black Sports 0