Black Relationships : What is going right with Black relationships

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by c-note, Sep 22, 2006.

1. c-note

c-note Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +9
    The disconnect between Black Men and Black Women is obvious, and seemingly growing wider. Just peruse a few threads and you quickly see that many (not all) Black men and women are not in tune with each other sexually, emotionally, socially, etc... These threads can leave one rather sad and depressed, but rather than focusing on the negative, I would like hear about the positive. Surely there must be some positive in our interactions with each other.

So I am asking, 'what is going right in relationships between Black men and Black women?'

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    most black people are committed with other black people.
    maybe they don't have the time to post on the internet.

3. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    IMO, it's a lot easier for couples to coincide in this country if you subscribe to the philosophies of capitalism and are financially well off. The white picket fence, dog, family, etc. But when you are a piece that is struggling to fit into the puzzle, it poses a relative strain on relationships. Especially when you are solely striving to attain that which is not real or substantial...money (as well as those things money buys). When you already have it, logic suggests that it allows for a less strenuous life and subsequent relationship (I'm an underpaid teacher :)). We are not designed to function for the sake of capital. It's no suprise to me that so many of our relationships fail. Other than the above, in what ways do many of us truly relate?

Similarly, for the spiritually conscious, it's easier to exist in harmony with your mate bc you have a real/true objective in common. How many have objectives besides getting paid and feeding the family? Living off of emotion alone is not wise to me. It is temporary and fleeting, and thus not of substance. I think you have to be spiritually traveling to a common point. And then you can feel good and enjoy your shared emotions along the way. Spiritual comradery appears to me to be the thinning hairline of our culture.

4. c-note

United States
    Ratings:
    +9

Yes, it is good that we still have enough faith and hope in one another to commit, or aleast try to.

5. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I agree with everything you stated, Brother.

HOTEPU

6. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Over here in Norway we see so -very- few Brothers and Sisters involved in a spiritual sense, with a common spiritual goal. Most often it is purely physical or economical. Or foolish (too emotional).

This saddens me greatly, for I think that the spiritual aspect is the one thing many of us are lacking. If you see couples of the previous generation from the continent, you'll see some of the strongest relationships amongst our people. This is very much due to the fact that they have a common spiritual goal or basis.

Hopefully, we can all remember that bonding spiritually in this material world is what kept our ancestors together through hard times - even if our parents fail to teach it to us now. For the one thing that most often goes right with our relationships, is our spiritual and emotional bondings IMO.

~Ikoro

7. Sweet baby_face

Sweet baby_face Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student by day, Poet by night
    Ratings:
    +7
    Too many people are materialistic,
    not thinking of others, and are h*es.

8. c-note

United States
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks to all who responded.

I definately agree that a common, spiritual bond is a critical component to the development and success of black relationships, yet in spite of the fact that, in all too many cases, this bond is weak or non-existant, I still see reason for hope.

Hope because despite everything, black men and women in large numbers are still choosing to committ to each other - we want to be together

Hope because we recognize that there is a disconnect - you can't fix that which you are not aware of

Hope because many of us realize the blame game gets us nowhere and have begun to focus on internally changing ourselves for the better

Hope because we are starting to communicate with one another in an attempt for understanding

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, there is plenty justification, not only for hope, but reassurance as well.

The whole world is waking up, throwing off shackles and reassessing where they are and where they have been. The world is tired of the greed and destructiveness of the materialistic few. In this awakening there is bound to be upheaval. The tower of oppressin is crumbling and when the dust settles we will still be there, holding hands and loving each other.

10. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Excellent

:welldone: