Law Forum : What is Criminal Discussion?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, May 5, 2013.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I first heard / read this term ... criminal discussion ... in 2006, with it coming out of the case / media regarding the young Brothers in Florida accused, charged, convicted, and imprisoned on some "home-grown terrorist" jargon.

Now, with the radicalized talk being bandied about in 2013 ... i'm reminded of this term.

What is criminal discussion? Is there a legal definition that folk would immediately know if they are within the confines of the law, or outside of it? Is there law associated with it, that we could read?

Surely it can't be disagreeing with the american government? Right?

I mean ... we are in america ... and i've always heard we could criticize and disagree with government.

Is that no longer true?

Thanks in advance Family.

:heart:

Destee

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

When has that ever been true? and if "ever" is too big of a time slice.. narrow it to your own lifetime. So.. when in your lifetime has that ever been true?

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I have been looking for a legal definition or statute and can't find one.

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

If is a political term does this mean it has no legal basis?

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

So, for the purpose of this thread, in response to Sister Destee's question, is there a legal definition of "criminal discussion"?

Given the legal statutes including Homeland Security legislation, ie the Patriot Act, et al, it seems that the POTUS as executive order can declare such discussion as an act of terrorism as he seems fit.

I assume that this would refer for the most part to discussion or planning to overthrow the state or to cause harm to the civilian population.

This means that threatening any individual, to do bodily harm, can result in charges of an "alleged terrorist threat".

This I know from personal experience but can't share the details.

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Thank you bro Shikamaru.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

There are many examples right here at destee, of folk criticizing and disagreeing with the government.

I've said many times i have no confidence in it, given its past and current mistreatment of Black People.

There are lots of sites, organizations and individuals that publicly criticize and disagree with the government.

I'm just wondering, are we moving toward a place where this will be illegal, if we're not there already.

Where is the legislation regarding it, informing us, if we are in fact bound by it.

Oftentimes we fall victim to the laws, because we do not know them. I want us to know them.

Love You!

Destee

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

Brother Shikamaru ... do you have a link to that resource ... ?? ... :)

Thanks!

Destee

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    After looking at the way in which "criminal discussions" was used in the article:

Gonzales said "the individual they thought was a member of al-Qaida was present at their meetings and in actuality he was working with the South Florida Joint Terrorism Task Force."

At a news conference in Miami, U.S. Attorney R. Alexander Acosta said officials decided to raid the warehouse and make the arrests on Thursday because investigators had sufficient evidence and were confident they had fully developed the case. Acosta said authorities are confident that each arrested member of the cell "had intent to pose a threat."

"You want to go and disrupt cells like this before they acquire the means to accomplish their goals," Acosta said. "This is exactly the kind of case we should be investigating."

Managers of the Sears Tower, the nation's tallest building, said in a statement they speak regularly with the FBI and local law enforcement about terror threats and that Thursday "was no exception."

Security at the 110-floor Sears Tower, a Chicago landmark, was ramped up after the Sept. 11 attacks, and the 103rd-floor skydeck was closed for about a month and a half.
    "Law enforcement continues to tell us that they have never found evidence of a credible terrorism threat against Sears Tower that has gone beyond criminal discussions," the statement said.
    http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2003081127_webterrorplot23.html

It appears to be internal jargon by the investigators. Further, the term beyond becomes key and operable in explaining that no evidence existed beyond intent ("had intent to pose a threat.") or "criminal discussions" ...

Good looking out Sister Destee.

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Criminal discussion from their point of view is in many of my post or threads. For example: When I state that it was violence and bloodshed that got us as a people in the condition that we are now in...and as such, it will take violence and bloodshed to get us out". (That is Criminal Discussion) In other words, one speaking a truth reversed can be criminal discussion. I stated a truth concerning how we got in this mess...now by be speaking that same truth in reverse is advocating "violence and bloodshed" directly or indirectly from their point of view. My saying it is one thing....someone joining in on the discussion is where we get things like "conspiracy" from.

So realistically it is simply a matter of them making the rules up as they go along, being that there is no set standard.