African Traditional Religion : What is Awo?

Discussion in 'African Traditional Religion Study Group' started by river, Jun 19, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Last night, or rather earlier ths morning I had a dream. This man put a light which he called awo in my hand and told me to put it on my forehead. He also told me to put a feather in my hair such as the Native Americans do.

What is awo and what are the meanings of the symbols in this dream?

2. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    I Instantly got ''a call to the path of the diviner''

Awo in Yoruba translates to ''owner of mysteries, keeper of mysteries'' as in Babalawo

Feather(what color was the feather?) could be referring to Native American ancestors...or a Orisha as in Oshun or Yemaya....white also puts me in mind of Oshun and Obatala perhaps you are being given a male and male female orisha? and/or you are being shown your Native American and African ancestors.

very powerful dream Sis.

3. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Putting the light (white) on your forehead is like activating your third eye....Babalawo and Iyanifas in the Yoruba tradition often mark the middle of their forehead with white chalk to signify seeing into the spirit world.

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    TThe feather was dark, a dark gray or blackish color. I determined a while back that Oshun is my Orisha.

I thought only makes could be Babalawo?

Right now I am writing my biography and twice strange things have happened while I was writing. The second strange thing happened just yesterday.

Some time ago I was writing and listening to my Windows Media playlist. This playlist has over 200 songs on it that play in random. Anyway I was writing a sentence about Jim Crow when at that moment Nina Simone came on singing Oh Jim Crow. Yesterday I was doing a web search to find out when Chaka Khan's Sweet Thing came out cuz I wanted to use music throughout different points in my life and wanted to make sure I was matching the song to the year. I love this song. So I went to the bathroom and was singing it when I swear to the Cr eater it started playing. I cannot dismiss these events as mere coincidence. This happens a lot and I had been thinking suppose it comes on but I didn't expect it to because I can't make it happen at will but it did happen.

Hm... how do I use my third eye when writing?

5. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    You are being sent messages. Iyanifa is female equivalent of Babalawo( expect they do not see odu, which too complicated to get into) they do divination, healing and go into trance. You already use your third eye, and think the dream is confirmation that you being guided and are on the right track.

Grey is a color associated with wisdom.

6. Light

Light Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128

I think that is great; I had one thing to say and it is not in any way negative I just wanted you to remember that Africans were using feathers in their hair from the begining of time. And that they carried spears and rode animals it is all the same the world called those people idians as a mistake of thinking they had reached the middle east by boat.

7. lutherbarack

lutherbarack Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    It all depends...what did you watch on tv , read, do, etc. right before you went to bed? I keep a dream diary I usually try to relate my dream to specific events that took place right before I went to sleep...

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Sistah Amnat gave you great advice.

Perhaps you might want to obtain some shea butter. Dab your finger in it and smear from between the mid-point your eyebrows all the way over the top of your head to the base of your skull before you go to bed.

Your Ori will start translating the messages being sent to you.

Ase

9. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Thanks Bro. Sekhemu,

I've had some experiences that I cannot explain. One night i got up from my bed walked over to a lite candle, dipped my finger in the melting wax and i touched the wax to the middle of my forehead... I do sleep walk, but i don't think this was a sleep walking episode because i remembered what occurred the next day.

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Whooooaaaaa! That's heavy. Sounds like your Ori needed to be incited

So you typically light a candle before retiring for bed?