Black People : What is An Elder?

dis respect of elders is european based.......

James, did you miss my qualifier, "in my book?" I never said that I am the "JUDGE" of it. I gave my opinion.

And if you are "angry and bitter" but still teach "as best you can," that's good. I was speaking to those who DON'T.

My "mindset" is not "European." I am speaking from my own experiences and differentiating those who were "older" and those who were "Elders" in my life.

No White person has ever been an "Elder" to me and they can't be. Any "Elder" in my life is, has been and always will be BLACK.

it is the european mind set that causes you to say "in my book" and place your own opinion in front of the rules of the culture.

elders are elders. they are not subject to you. you do not get to pick and chose.
you may like some and dislike others. that is all good.
you cannot strip them of their place in the culture.

you should not want to.

can i say : "i don't like that person, so i will not give her respect as a woman"?
"these youths are not part of the tribe because i do not like the way they wear their pants"?

no, i cannot.

we need to learn to show respect to our culture.
we cannot respect ourselves and not respect our culture.
it is not about that individual, it is about our culture.

we need to learn to respect each other.

it is the european mind set that causes you to say "in my book" and place your own opinion in front of the rules of the culture.

elders are elders. they are not subject to you. you do not get to pick and chose.
you may like some and dislike others. that is all good.
you cannot strip them of their place in the culture.

That is YOUR opinion, James.

Likewise, YOU don't have the right to dictate to ME who has behaved and served as an "ELDER" in MY LIFE.

I said that everyone who is "older" is not always an "Elder," IMO.

Again, IMO, that has nothing to do with any "European mindset."

Those who are "older" are entitled to a certain respect from me, but those who are ELDERS get even more because they are the ones leading and teaching.

ELDERS give and mold and guide and enrich my life. I have GROWN from them.

And no, I didn't "choose" them, they chose ME because that's what ELDERS do.

your way or the highway, eh?

That is YOUR opinion, James.

Likewise, YOU don't have the right to dictate to ME who has behaved and served as an "ELDER" in MY LIFE.

I said that everyone who is "older" is not always an "Elder," IMO.

Again, IMO, that has nothing to do with any "European mindset."

Those who are "older" are entitled to a certain respect from me, but those who are ELDERS get even more because they are the ones leading and teaching.

ELDERS give and mold and guide and enrich my life. I have GROWN from them.

And no, I didn't "choose" them, they chose ME because that's what ELDERS do.

as i said, this is you placing your opinion in front of the culture.
do you have any knowledge of african culture at all?
do you know anything about kamet?

you do not get to decide who is an elder.

you do not get to decide who is an elder.

Yes, I do get to decide who is an elder for and to ME.

I've already explained my view of who/what an "Elder" is and what they do and that view was developed from my life through the Black culture I was reared in.

I respect "older" people but every "older" person does not ACT, BEHAVE, or SERVE as "ELDERS" in our communities. They are deserving of respect because they are "older" but I'm not calling or viewing ALL of them as "Elders" if they do not PROVIDE what a true ELDER does.

and so there you have it.......

I've explained my view of who an "Elder" is and what they do and that view was developed from my life through the Black culture I was reared in.

that hard, unbending will. right or wrong. your way or the highway. OK, you got it. you "win".

i got a head ache......

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back