Black Parenting : What is a Sibling? Shouldn't "Brother" and "Sister" have a meaning?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by Asomfwaa, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Hotep,

It was after I looked upon a forest, that I now understand what a family is. Each tree drops a seed, that every tree looks after, until that seed becomes a tree like its aunts and uncles.

"Brother" and "Sister," words for "Siblings," mean "As you will look after my child, I will look after yours." At least in our African tradition.

Meaning. One of the worst tricks of our adopted culture is that we think that in ancestry we are Brothers and Sisters, rather than in concern for descendants we are Brothers and Sisters.

Thus, I ask whether we have any Brotherhoods or Sisterhoods. What are the two? Will those who call me Brother look after my child? Do you, reader, look after the child of others? If not, will you call another a Sibling?

I am grateful to the ancestors for allowing me the wisdom to put meaning behind my appellations. And I promise to my African Blood Siblings, that I will, to my ability, be a Brother to you all.

HTP

Edit: I made a video for this topic,

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well stated