Black People : What Is A Priority? What are the most pressing needs of Black People?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    What do you think is a priority for Black people, either individually or collectively, that we have not been doing up to this point?

I guess this segues with needs. So what are the most pressing needs of Black people in America, if we have any?

Then again, in order to identify 'the most pressing needs of Black people in America, we need to know if there are any needs specific or unique to Black folks. Do you think Black folks have any needs specific or unique to us only?

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Great question Blackbird, I hope this Thread blows up with incessantly fruitful conversation.

In my mind, top priority would be making the bad check good. Either our ancestors receive retribution or impunity continues for the en-slaver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  3. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Every ill-gotten advancement or gain can be traced to slavery. The growth of this nation and many others can be traced to slavery. When slavery supposedly ended in the United States, the exploiting of someone had to replace that free economic labor. The prison system does most of that.Southern nations enjoy exploiting there people for the tourist trade etc...while keeping the masses poor

This book was introduced by Brother skuderjaymes

It references that fact that all economic and gains in the modern day came to fruition based on and from slavery.

http://www.destee.com/index.php?conversations/25005/

MothershipConnections: A Black Atlantic Synthesisof Neoclassical Metaphysicsand Black Theology

I am very concerned to introduce black Atlantic scholarship to post-modern scholars. Why? Because any adequate account of modernity and its possible transcendence must include sustained analysis of our various connections to transatlantic slavery and black Atlantic experiences. Here the “our” in “our various connections” refers to all modern humans. All humans shaped by modernity are connected to transatlantic slavery and black Atlantic experiences.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Just thinking out aloud yall, don't pay me no mind, okay?

But if 40 million black folk knew that their ancestors worked for free and built America, it would follow that the one unifying caveat would be monolithic thought of the 40 million, translating into a demand for Reparations ...

It kind of reminds me of ancestor Harriet Tubman's quote ... More could have been freed, if they had known they were slaves ...

I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.

Harriet Tubman

Read more at
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/harriet_tubman.html#q0ahhiEbgD5jTmPV.99

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  5. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    So with understanding your posts, you think reparations is a priority for Black folks in America. Playing devil's advocate, let's we don't ever get reparations, is there any thing else you think should be a priority?

6. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Just to let everyone know the purpose of this thread is not to dismiss any thought, suggestion or comment. All are the same in my book. I am just asking for assistance as most of you have greater insight than I do and I am asking so you can share with us. I may redirect or ask for clarity but I will not personally challenge anyone's input. Thanks hopefully we all gain from this thread and find things we can do that we may not be doing already.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Well, I don't do well in the flow of devils's advocate, lol, but when it comes to priorities, its hard to remove Reparations from the top of the table, in my mind's eye.

Poverty overwhelms our communities, the financial playing field is not level for us; there is so much good our people could do with the money. Furthermore, its the single most point of common interest that we should be able to quickly rally behind. Either they owe us or they don't.

I'm hard-pressed to think of another priority that would unify us with the least amount of resistance. But ultimately, I would like to see black unity.

8. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Understood. I can see your rationale. Thanks for the clarity.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    Yeah, its bad to say, but black folk need some money over all else. It sort of reminds me of preaching the word to a person that's hungry, lol, you aren't going to get very far until the hunger pains go away.

And meeting the needs of the black community starts with revenue. Its the very reason food stamps, dope, drugs, sex trafficking, and a host of others things plague our neighborhoods; because of lack ... A lack of jobs, a lack of food, lack of good shelter, all deriving from the lack of money and resources.

10. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    The number priority IMO is to restore our divine infinite minds and deprogram ourselves from europeanized "gutter thinking". We should see our greatness thru our eyes and stop measuring our standards thru the eyes of people who mean us no good.

Once we restore our minds then all the other processes can begin. Other than that it will be the same ole same ole.

New processes will help but we need our minds back.
    Yea it might look nice with a new haircut and a new paint job, but what happens once the paint starts peeling? Ah!!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014