Law Forum : What is a Green Card - Is It Actually Green?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, May 9, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

After starting this thread on citizenship, it's made me wonder what a green card is, and if it's actually green.

Where does one go to get one, and how does the process work, and what does it allow one to do?

Given the times we live in, i'd imagine they are not easy to get.

I'm gonna do some research on it, and post it here, but if you already know some stuff please share.

Thanks!

:heart:

Destee

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Green Card

Green card (Wikipedia)

3. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    this is what a green card look like...[​IMG]

4. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    i remember a while back working in a nursing home, there was this african man who worked med on the shift with me...He was telling me hon how he went thru lengths to get a green card so he can get his wife, her mom, the kids, and his mom her to OKC..

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    Green Card: Certification that a none citizen has the right to work in this country

Yes, it is green. Thus the name

6. Mercyless1803

Mercyless1803 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    A geen card which is also a permanent resident card is a document (in the form of a card) that is given to you when you become a permanent resident of the U.S. People who have green cards are citizens of other countries, they gain green cards to document that they are legally living the U.S. Most people acquire green cards due to being married to an american citizen or having worked in the U.S for a long time. (most times they acquire work permits then in later years they apply for a green card)

So most australian and european actors who live in Hollywood have green cards, I bet Rihanna has a green card, I bet NBA players like Tony Parker and Mutombo have acquired green cards (or maybe by now Mutombo is an american citizen) A Permanent resident (green card holder) can apply for american citizenship but there are some requirements they have to meet. The two that comes to mind first , is a clean criminal record, and I THINK they have to have been a resident for at least ten years ( i can be wrong about how many years)

Now how do i know all of this ? because i once had a green card, then after joining the US Air ForceI became an american citizen. So ladies don't worry i did NOT get mine through marriage so .....LOL

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thanks Everyone ... especially Mercyless1803 for giving us some first hand knowledge and experience! :toast:

Thank you all so much! I have so much to learn about such things.

It's amazing how much i don't know, just because it doesn't affect me directly.

Looking forward to learning more! Thank You All!!

:heart:

Destee