Black People : What is a 'good' life?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by African_Prince, Oct 5, 2010.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    What do you consider to be a 'good' life?

1) Experiencing as much happiness and as little stress as possible

2 a) Getting what you prefer, even if it doesn't make you 'happier' in a non-attitudinal sense

2 b) Having your preferences satisfied even if you never experience them being satisfied

3) Some generally accepted 'objective' criteria that most people feel is beneficial like having knowledge, accomplishments, friends and family etc.

If you chose #1, would you agree that it would be better to be a schizophrenic, locked up in some rubber room, who has created an imaginary world where he experiences constant joy and happiness or a clinically depressed but successful businessman with a beautiful wife and perfect children?

If you chose #2a, would you agree that if someone was suffering from some horrible illness but he didn't want to be given a drug that would take away his pain and put him in a state of complete euphoria and ecstasy, it would be better for him to suffer, as he 'wants' to, or would it be better for him to be given the drug?

If you chose #2b, would you agree that a man whose loving wife is cheating on him would be better off if he found out (knowing that he would 'want to know') and suffered as a result rather than remain ignorant and happy?

Finally, if you chose #3, do you agree that an unhappy person with the ideal life, a great career, a beautiful wife and children, lots of friends etc. who is miserable is better off than someone plugged into a machine where magic exists and they have all the supernatural powers they ever wanted and live a life of constant pleasure?

2. gogounited

gogounited Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    Hmmm, answers will vary by individual, I'm sure.

But for me, a "good life" is something I hope to look back upon when I am dead. It's rest and peace that comes from knowing that I took personal responsibilty for my thoughts, emotions, actions and the power and effects of them, respectively. A good life will have been lived if in every way I empowered myself and facilitated change toward a better life and world for the following generations.

When I die, this life story will be set in stone and permanently stored in the collective consciousness. I can call it "good" then or "bad", but for now it is for me to experience the joy of being given the chance to write it as I go. This includes all of the sorrow, the bitterest pills, and even death itself.

3. Nameless

Nameless Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +110

NONE OF THE ABOVE

WHAT'S "GOOD" ABOUT A "FAKE" LIFE?

to settle is cowardly, and i really can't be objective with regard to what I refer to as "good"......

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Ever hear, The Talking Heads, "As the Days go By"?

Ever read "Sidhartha" by Herman Hesse?

Every Life is a Good Life

until you are dead, and then it's not so good anymore

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    A Good life is life to awaken to another day each day ...
    but as stated it will be differently for everyone for what they may feel to them as
    a good life , but good life is life .

6. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    A good life is a happy one in which a person pursues love and happiness within reason...you don't think about external influences you go out and find happiness and love in life & God and connect with this n just Live freely

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Micah 6:
    [8] He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Psalms 37
    [4] Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.