Black People : What is a Ghetto ?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family ... i've been thinking again ... and i wondered ...

What does the word "ghetto" mean to you?

to me, it means ... anywhere you have a bunch of black folk, you have a ghetto ... i love ghettos ... it doesn't make any difference where yall 'et, just gather together and a ghetto has formed! ... even here, 'cause there's a bunch of us, so we just created our own warm, comfortable, ghetto ... i have very fond memories of the ghetto i grew up in, the warmth, and love, and friendships that laid the foundation to my life ... i hear ghetto and get all warm and fuzzy inside ... what about you?

also ... could this warm & fuzzy feeling about the word ghetto, be a sign i have issues? :)

:heart:

Destee

2. SwtT

SwtT Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educational/Human Resources field
    Ratings:
    +28
    Not issues Destee, just techincal difficulties :lol:

3. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    ROMANCING THE GHETTO

Peace Destee,

As you probably know, the word “Ghetto” originated in Europe, as a term used to designate the segregated and reclusive Jewish section of a European city or town. The Jews were restricted to these areas by their “good”, fellow Christian brethren. Interesting enough, many so-called Black inner-city communities, in the United States, were formerly occupied by Jews, who vacated their homes and later rented or sold to African Americans, during the “great white flight”, from American cities. Because of the previous occupation of Jewish people in these enclaves, Many of the remaining landlords and shopkeepers were Jewish, which in turn, probably influenced the transfer of this term (ghetto) to our community.

I personally remembered and ascertained from others, that this term was not in wide spread use by us (Black people) until around the mid to late 60’s. The term being energized by the news media (just like the phrase “inner-city”), blaxploitation films, music and television, as these venues sometimes exposed and exploited the colloquial expressions and local genres that pertained, to our communities. Before then, we were just in the neighborhood (“the Hood”).

I remember, during the tumultuous late 60’s and early 70’s, militant and culturally aware Black people were constantly romancing this word, in order to make a point and then later trying to get away from it’s negative stereotypical connotations.

Phrases like, “You may be in the ghetto, but don’t let the ghetto be in you”

Or “ the ghetto is nothing but a state of mind”.

I remember the love of family, the kindness of neighbors and the familiarity of long time friends. But, this was along side, Dope shooters (heroin), poverty, assaults, robbery and many other atrocities. My neighborhood, simple and plain represented the former, for me, my “Ghetto” represented the latter. I cannot romanticize or glorify this term and will be glad when it is no longer referenced, as relating to the habitation of Black People.

PEACE, LOVE AND ASHE,

Sun Ship

4. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Why is the term used only with Black People?
    I understand what the last poster stated... but why does it have to mean in essece "Black"?

In my travels especially on the East Coast there are White Ghettos of all stripes; especially Massachusettes and Connecticut?

Could we succeed in changing that term? To something more postive... couldn't we clean it up, etc... I mean, children are affected moreso than us adults by their environments...shouldn't we? Couldn't we?

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Romancing the plantation

Seems as though Black people always have to be corralled or quarantined in some segment of American society. First the plantation, now the 'ghetto.' Mental. Why do we allow ourselves to be manipulated and brainwashed to believe that we are so different than other people in bad ways, such that our communities have become human zoos for people to drive through on tour buses so that we can be pointed at like animals? "And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of our city's GET- TOES. We won't be stopping because Black people live here, so hide your purses and wallets" Never known for anything good, but always the place to go to get access to everything 'bad' (according to them). But you know what? We are just as guilty as 'them' are because many of us believe the same thing.

happy69, sure we can drop the term--as easily as we picked it up.

Sun Ship...again...great lesson. I never knew where the term 'ghetto' originated from. I've learned much today. To me, it is not a term of endearment and it harbors negative connotations whenever I see it. We need to stop subscribing to notions that other people label us with, especially when they are not meant to be flattering to us as a people. Community, neighborhood...tribe...all positives in my view. Let's stop the madness and fight for the good in our communities. Don't let others define where we live, worship, and raise our babies. We left the plantation a long time ago. Let's think 'free' and not like a slave.

Good thread topic, Des!

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Ghetto is a set apart. A isolation of minoritys.

Sun Ship is correct.

It was a place in Europe during Hitlers rise. That Jews were isolated into.

I saw a documentary a few weeks ago. There were walls. Gates and fences used to close off the citizens. They were not allowed to leave. Contained to the extreme.

We don't have the walls.. per say. May be a mind set of sorts.

There are walls put up so traffic and passersby's that need to travel thru the hood can't see and be seen by the community.

I grew up in the projects. I would replay my childhood. Without the broken bones. Busted head, and fights I got drawn and cornered into. Gang jumps.. and stuff like that.

Today in America a ghetto is considered any slum section of a city. This should not be the case.

http://www.hud.gov/

"The United States Congress worked diligently over the past several years to create an environment that enables distressed urban and rural communities to have hope for the future through economic and social renewal. Our belief is that when private industry flourishes in these communities, it directly, and positively, impacts peoples' lives. The Community Renewal and New Markets Initiative, enacted in 2000, does just this, with a tax-incentive package designed to attract businesses to Renewal Communities and Empowerment Zones across the nation."

-- Senator Rick Santorum and Congressman J.C. Watts, Jr. in an April 29, 2002 joint letter to President George W. Bush

We don't do enough to ride our local officials.

7. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Signs, symbolism and words

Man, these are some powerful responses and commentaries, to the word “ghetto”. Keep the discussion going! You know I get a “warm and fuzzy” feeling inside when Black people deal with TRUTH.

Hey Queenie :wave:, I like how you broke it down “GET-TOE”. It’s about time, one of our Black scientist (professor, NNQueen :bowdown: ) of the NEW African mind, investigate one of these linguistically formatted viruses that have plagued our community.

Ghetto…. Hmmmm…Lets analyze this loan word (loan word? - sounds like pawnshop jargon) using the field of Semiotics.

Ghetto > GET – TOE , what could be implied or hidden here? Lets test it out. Could it be related syntactically to a children’s game initiated by this old racist nursery rhyme:

In-nee, min-nee, my-nee, moe,

catch the n*gg*r by his “TOE”,

if he hollers let him go.

In-nee, min-nee, my-nee, moe

Or is there some other kind of more sinister sub-conscious implication here, maybe the removing of digits (fingers and “TOES”). This was done to African American lynching victims after the vile act of lynching was completed, so the “picnicking” white observers would have something to add to their commemorative collection of, “lynching memorabilia”.

In other words, “GET” the negro’s “TOE”! “Get – Toe” > Ghetto

Just something to think about,

PEACE :) ,
    Sun Ship

P.S. _I once read somewhere in a book relating to the origins of nursery rhymes that “In-nee, min-nee, my-nee, moe” was a corruption of the Dutch words for counting - one, two, three, four.

8. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    This thread is what I Like..

Stereotypes of all forms begin with stretching the truth. Historically, tall tales and wild adventures distort the truth for many reasons. . . an attempt to educate; a way to scare a portion of the population; to shed good or bad light on something.

The Indian stereotype is no different. From the time of initial contact with Europeans, Indians have been considered less than human . . . a group to be wary of. Traditions, language and way of life were different from that of the White Man and looked upon as savage and barbaric. Even the journals of the earliest Pilgrims and Puritans contain passages referring to the . . . "wild men of the forest."

This concept was carried on first, to schoolbooks and subsequently to movies. Many other published materials still carry on the old ideas . . . coloring books, reading books, children's toys and decorations. But it is the movies and the textbooks that have been the most damaging ill their views of the culture of the American Indian.

INDIAN GIVER

This phrase has been the subject of much discussion. Today, it usually means someone who gives something and then takes it back. It also implies that Indians do this. Somewhere in history, the meaning of this phrase turned around. Indians, in conflicts with Europeans, have never been in a position to give something and take it back. Originally, it was meant to indicate that the GOVERNMENT gave things to Indians under treaty terms and then subsequently took them back.

"ONE LITTLE, TWO LITTLE, THREE LITTLE INOIANS..."

For the word, "Indians," substitute the word "Chicanos," "Black People," or even "White Men" and see how utterly ridiculous this sounds.

SCALPING

This is one of the most talked-about subjects among young children. This myth was promoted by Hollywood to the extent that multitudes of young children became afraid of Indians. It brings us to attempt to answer a basic question, "Who's the Savage?"

At the onset of the European colonization, it soon became evident that the Indians were a barrier to development. The attitude prevailed that the native people, since they were neither European nor Christian, had no right to the land. Consequently, the only way to gain access to the millions of acres of "undeveloped" land was to rid the areas of the Indian inhabitants. We all like to think of our Founding Fathers as honest and moral, however, the time has passed for glossing over the truth.

The Dutch in New Amsterdam were the first to offer a bounty for killing an Indian. The head was to be brought back to give proof of the deed, but this constituted a "storage" problem early on. Soon, a new system came about: only the nose of the Indian was required as proof. But soon this, too, presented a problem since the nose of an Indian and the nose of a European looked similar after detachment. Many unscrupulous Frontiersmen killed their own race in order to obtain the bounty money. By 1675, only the "head skin" was required as proof that the Indians were killed.

During the wars of the Plains, the Cavalry systematically scalped Indian people, as well as mutilated the bodies beyond recognition. Among Indian people, it soon became a matter of copying the enemy. Indians did scalp people, but it began on the Frontier as a way of insulting the enemy. Hollywood saw this fact as a wonderful way to portray savagery except it was the Indian who was shown as the originator of this practice.

" Any and all parts of this publication may be reproduced for classroom use, however, no part may be duplicated for sale or profit. "

By ESTHER STUTZMAN

http://www.corvallis.k12.mt.us/middle/staff/craigc/nas/links/documents/Indian_stereotypes.htm

============
    First thing I learned from Malcolm X is grab your dictionary learn your best.

He left this little known fact in place to carry forward his love for our race.

Every one that comes through your life leaves you with something to support the fight.

Think about what Martin Luther left?

So be a student check this out definitions don't lie. If you are a doubting Thomas.. look it up and see.

Now you get the relationships of life.. keep the truth, throw out the strife.

Today students we are going to study two words. GET, and TOE

I won't keep you long. I know you need to go party, do your nails.. or TOEs. So lets move this along.. OK class pay attention.

Toe is to toe the line.

CONFORM to my wishes..

So ( GET ) them to TOE.

( GET ) is gotton.. and places you in a specified state or condition. We done been GOT.

" TOE" : to obey rules conscientiously.. So if you ( GET ) a ( TOE ) hold on someone.. you have a slight or intial advantage over them. Very useful for future advantagage and position.

So if I obey you in a conscientious manner.. It supports your through and painstaking, careful plan of governing. ME

So instead of asking for reparations for the ghetto, and slavery. We should ask for " CONSCIENCE MONEY " .. for the atonement of a concealed dishonest act. Look out. Look it up.

Peace

9. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    Sun Ship.. knowing your post has truism.. It happened once. It happened again. Keeping parts of your victims. SICK

TORTURE

"Indian torture" has been the subject of many a conversation. Who can forget the movies that show a burning wagon train and the prairie strewn with mutilated bodies of pioneers? It made an impression on everyone, especially children, who still believe it as fact.

Nowhere in a movie does it tell of the atrocities performed by the early pioneers and the soldiers. Mutilations and torture of Indians took on almost a circus-like atmosphere in the early West. Much bragging was done about how a body part could be used. As late as the 1960's, some museums still displayed "trophies" such as purses made of Indian women's breast skin and necklaces strung with toes and fingers.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I had romanticized this word, perhaps attempting to add some sort of respectability to that which has been put on us ... not much different than what many do with the N-word now.

Sun Ship, i didn't know where ghetto originated, but i do know. Thank you.

Thanks everyone for sharing in this thread.

Seems i have a lot of "unlearning" to do.

:heart:

Destee