Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Family ... i've been thinking again ... and i wondered ...

What does the word "ghetto" mean to you?

to me, it means ... anywhere you have a bunch of black folk, you have a ghetto ... i love ghettos ... it doesn't make any difference where yall 'et, just gather together and a ghetto has formed! ... even here, 'cause there's a bunch of us, so we just created our own warm, comfortable, ghetto ... i have very fond memories of the ghetto i grew up in, the warmth, and love, and friendships that laid the foundation to my life ... i hear ghetto and get all warm and fuzzy inside ... what about you?

also ... could this warm & fuzzy feeling about the word ghetto, be a sign i have issues? :)

:heart:

Destee

ROMANCING THE GHETTO

Peace Destee,

As you probably know, the word “Ghetto” originated in Europe, as a term used to designate the segregated and reclusive Jewish section of a European city or town. The Jews were restricted to these areas by their “good”, fellow Christian brethren. Interesting enough, many so-called Black inner-city communities, in the United States, were formerly occupied by Jews, who vacated their homes and later rented or sold to African Americans, during the “great white flight”, from American cities. Because of the previous occupation of Jewish people in these enclaves, Many of the remaining landlords and shopkeepers were Jewish, which in turn, probably influenced the transfer of this term (ghetto) to our community.

I personally remembered and ascertained from others, that this term was not in wide spread use by us (Black people) until around the mid to late 60’s. The term being energized by the news media (just like the phrase “inner-city”), blaxploitation films, music and television, as these venues sometimes exposed and exploited the colloquial expressions and local genres that pertained, to our communities. Before then, we were just in the neighborhood (“the Hood”).

I remember, during the tumultuous late 60’s and early 70’s, militant and culturally aware Black people were constantly romancing this word, in order to make a point and then later trying to get away from it’s negative stereotypical connotations.

Phrases like, “You may be in the ghetto, but don’t let the ghetto be in you”

Or “ the ghetto is nothing but a state of mind”.

I remember the love of family, the kindness of neighbors and the familiarity of long time friends. But, this was along side, Dope shooters (heroin), poverty, assaults, robbery and many other atrocities. My neighborhood, simple and plain represented the former, for me, my “Ghetto” represented the latter. I cannot romanticize or glorify this term and will be glad when it is no longer referenced, as relating to the habitation of Black People.

PEACE, LOVE AND ASHE,

Sun Ship

Why is the term used only with Black People?
I understand what the last poster stated... but why does it have to mean in essece "Black"?

In my travels especially on the East Coast there are White Ghettos of all stripes; especially Massachusettes and Connecticut?

Could we succeed in changing that term? To something more postive... couldn't we clean it up, etc... I mean, children are affected moreso than us adults by their environments...shouldn't we? Couldn't we?

Romancing the plantation

Seems as though Black people always have to be corralled or quarantined in some segment of American society. First the plantation, now the 'ghetto.' Mental. Why do we allow ourselves to be manipulated and brainwashed to believe that we are so different than other people in bad ways, such that our communities have become human zoos for people to drive through on tour buses so that we can be pointed at like animals? "And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of our city's GET- TOES. We won't be stopping because Black people live here, so hide your purses and wallets" Never known for anything good, but always the place to go to get access to everything 'bad' (according to them). But you know what? We are just as guilty as 'them' are because many of us believe the same thing.

happy69, sure we can drop the term--as easily as we picked it up.

Sun Ship...again...great lesson. I never knew where the term 'ghetto' originated from. I've learned much today. To me, it is not a term of endearment and it harbors negative connotations whenever I see it. We need to stop subscribing to notions that other people label us with, especially when they are not meant to be flattering to us as a people. Community, neighborhood...tribe...all positives in my view. Let's stop the madness and fight for the good in our communities. Don't let others define where we live, worship, and raise our babies. We left the plantation a long time ago. Let's think 'free' and not like a slave.

Good thread topic, Des!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back