Black Christians : What Is A Christian?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by cherryblossom, Apr 6, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    http://www.gotquestions.org/what-is-a-Christian.html

Question: "What is a Christian?"

Answer: Webster’s Dictionary defines a Christian as “a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or in the religion based on the teaching of Jesus.” While this is a good starting point in understanding what a Christian is, like many secular definitions, it falls somewhat short of really communicating the biblical truth of what it means to be a Christian.

The word Christian is used three times in New Testament (Acts 11:26; Acts 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called “Christians” in Antioch (Acts 11:26) because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. It was originally used by the unsaved people of Antioch as a kind of contemptuous nickname used to make fun of the Christians. It literally means, “belonging to the party of Christ” or an “adherent or follower of Christ,” which is very similar to the way Webster’s Dictionary defines it.

Unfortunately over time, the word "Christian" has lost a great deal of its significance and is often used of someone who is religious or has high moral values instead of a true born again follower of Jesus Christ. Many people who don’t believe and trust in Jesus Christ consider themselves Christians simply because they go to church or they live in a "Christian" nation. But going to church, serving those less fortunate than you, or being a good person does not make you a Christian. As one evangelist once said, “Going to church doesn’t make one a Christian anymore than going to a garage makes one an automobile.” Being a member of a church, attending services regularly, and giving to the work of the church cannot make you a Christian.

The Bible teaches us that the good works we do cannot make us acceptable to God. Titus 3:5 tells us that “he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” So, a Christian is someone who has been born-again by God (John 3:3; John 3:7; 1 Peter 1:23) and has put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:8 tells us that it is “…by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—.” A true Christian is someone who has repented of his or her sin and put faith and trust in Jesus Christ alone. Their trust is not in following a religion or a set of moral codes or a list of do’s and don’ts.

A true Christian is a person who has put his or her faith and trust in the person of Jesus Christ and the fact that He died on the cross as payment for sins and that He rose again on the third day to obtain victory over death and to give eternal life to all who believe in Him. John 1:12 tells us: “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” A true Christian is indeed a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Christ. The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word (1 John 2:4; 1 John 2:10).

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and the Truth!

cherryblossom,
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

3. mizjoice

mizjoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    [/B

.........when it gets down to grits, this is it, in a nutshell!.......well done, Sistah Cherryblossom!

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thank you, Mz. Joyce!

Matt.18

[20] For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

5. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Jesus DID NOT Save The Sister....Light A Candle in the Temple....

She did tell us about problems -- we advised her sometimes but sometimes we give other things to the Lord," he said. "I tried to talk him out of his drinking habit but I failed to do that."

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2009/04/06/9020976-sun.html

:qqb020:
    :sleep::sleep::sleep::censored::bomb::bomb::bomb::pie::thanks::11300::time::time::time::10800::10800::10800::10800::10800::10800::10800::eek:oops::eek:oops::eek:oops::eek:oops::angel1::angel1::angel1:(guess someone forgot 3 Hail Mary's and A Few Our Fathers)
    Is THAT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DECIDE TO LEAVE SOME THINGS TO THE LORD OUR FATHER GOD? JESUS SAVES? Hmmmm.......

Or is her soul going to be"one who has been given new life in Christ" Sad shame really because it looks like her old life was complete. A Mother, An Educated Womban, a Contributor to her Community... I'd say she had a great life until her old man took it from her.

How Long Shall They Kill Our Prophets
    While We Stand Aside and Look.....

[​IMG]

Our Original Prophets We Our Mothers, The Sibyls, The Oracles of Delphi, The WOMB OF MEN

For More Understanding See The Following Literature:

Description:

"The Theft of African Prophecy by the Catholic Church: For 6,000 years, Africa was ruled by a powerful order of Sibyl matriarchs. They produced the world's first oracles, prophetess and prophets. known as "Pythoness," they worked the oracles in the Black Egyptian colonies in ancient Greece, Rome, Turkey, Israel, Syria and Babylon. Their holy temples were more numerous than the churches of today. In ancient Rome, they first established the "holy seat" of the Vatican advising the world's heads of state. Centuries before Christ, they cured epileptics, the blind, lepers and “casted out demons.” It was a Sibyl who called-up the spirit of "Apostle" Samuel. Their "pagan" prophecies were used by the emerging Roman papals to create a “western theological” foundation and became the undisputed precursor for their Christian Bible. African women's religious history is finally being unearthed, exposing shocking revelations buried for more than 2000 years."

The Sibyls: the First Prophetess’ of Mami (Wata):The Theft of African Prophecy by the Catholic Church

http://www.lulu.com/content/989431

Challenge:
    black christians demonstrate their mutual all inclusive love for their own Black Mothers and Sisters & Purchase a Book Devoted Especially To the Relationship between Her & the Church.

"Remind these ******* to mind their business
    Believe me, the pimp game is very religious"
    Jah Rule (Hip Hop Artist Icon)

6. mizjoice

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    This Sister probably did have a great life......a shame indeed that her husband saw fit to take it! My question would be: what did he believe to make him disregard life so? :?:

Christians believe the soul is eternal. Where it resides after the physical death of the body is determined by our actions and decisions while living.

Death is when the soul "passes" from living in the physical realm to living in the spiritual realm........fear is of the unknown only.

Also your post puts me in mind of the Black Madonnas.....which are rarely seen, and hardly spoken of......

7. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    It doesn't really matter

what the husband believes, her community believed that God and Jesus would save her and reconcile an obviously angry man. That is so typical of a following of sheep to let the wolves take out an innocent, and then say well the soul is immortal. The soul was immortal before Jesus, before Jehovah and before Allah so just what the hell do we need these icons for if they can't do nothing in the physical world?

Oh yeah I forgot they get real good at collecting money in the collection plate. Here again though I guess Jesus don't know how to share cuz there's a lot of his followers going hungry. Fake *** deceivers

8. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Putting a real complete and thorough definition of a Christian is hard to do I think. You cant get by with saying a Christian is one who is a follower of Jesus and what Jesus said because those words have different intepretations by many. Its kind of like putting a definition on different kinds of music. I am satisfied with saying any body that studies and live by the words of the bible is a Christian. But that doesnt matter. In the end it is what the person does besides just reading and such that counts. Christianity is a religion. In other words its a set of beliefs. It doesnt say hardly any facts about each individual person.

9. mizjoice

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    Sis Phynx, it does matter what the husband believed and what spirit he was operating under, cause clearly, he wasn't under anyone's God!

I really don't want to go into this all the way right here, but God is a spirit....as a spirit, God operates in the physical world through (physical) people. (Just natural law, nothing spooky about it!)

There are a lot of staving people in the world, true enough. But hunger will not be eradicated until people are moved, by their spirit, to share with those in need.

As the Creator of eveything and all things, why would God need anything we might collect in a basket? Couldn't He just create it? I think there is a basic confusion about what is God and what is religion.......

Sis.Cherryblossom, sorry about taking this thread off track......

10. mizjoice

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    Very true observation, Afru........