Pan Africanism : What is a Black Nationalist?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by jamesfrmphilly, Sep 12, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    good idea, here it is.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Brother James, I'm wondering why no one has responded to your question? If I knew I would, but I don't so I'm waiting like you. Maybe now that I've moved this back up to the top of the thread list, someone who knows will notice and answer your question.

Queenie :pc:

3. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Self-Sustaining Black Love

You can probably read the works of many African American scholars and non-African American scholars under this subject matter and obtain scholarly and theoretical definitions and dissertations of Nationalism and/or Black Nationalism.

But what does Black Nationalism mean to the everyday folks it suppose to benefit?

This is really about Black stores, farms, the production and distribution of goods, financial and educational institutions and so forth. All of these sectors of our community interacting with and benefiting from each other, with the resources and capital generated by and through these sectors circulating and exponentially reproducing more capital and resources multiple times before these resources leave our community. This is about Black doctors, plumbers, carpenters and scientist who works are being produce or exercised for our benefit, while having an institutional base that is financed and supported by the community, in order to support their services.

This is also about trade both local and international, hopefully with other African communities throughout the world, but not excluding anyone.

This is about Black people self-establishing, in some cases reestablishing and self-sustaining any and all services that are presently absent in our community and usually supplied and controlled by others.

Black Nationalism can have cultural, political and other deeper social ramifications, but at its core, it’s about “doing-for-self” and stop being exploited and parasitically beholden to others.

This is not a rehashing of Black capitalism, entrepreneurship or “non-life changing” social services.

This is about working to feed yourself FIRST and not those who exploit your labor, natural resources or
    intellectual resources.

This is about being for yourself and not necessarily against anybody.

Hopefully, I will expand on this post later and I welcome others to insert their opinions and information to this very important thread.

Peace,

Brother Sun Ship

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    I look forward to your additions to this topic Brother Sun Ship because I always find your concepts englightening. The way I deduced this concept is that Black Nationalism is more than just about being but also about doing. Take strategic steps to support one's values and beliefs.

Anyone else has a similar or different definition of Black Nationalism? If so, please share.....

Queenie :spinstar:

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I'll give what i think it is ......let me try to define it.....
    Devotion to national interests , unity and independence , A nationalism
    of a Nationalist an advocate of or believer in nationalism of power to help
    move like a political party in the direction of equal, empowering it's people
    supportive to the structure of it's community which backs Blackz but move
    independently for self .

I also define it to be people who withstand by there belief of a Nationalist
    independently movement supportive to black businesses / food change etc.
    but basely to me a Nationalism move for self and self only

I can very well be wrong but this how i define it .

6. Oba Iparankanru

Oba Iparankanru Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    i thought it meant the belief that blacks should have their own independent nation to assist in strengthening their political and social roles in their communties in america and abroad. simular to garveys idea of setting up a state in liberia, and elijah pooles idea of gaining 4 states in the south