Black People : What Influences You?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dnommo, Sep 28, 2001.

1. dnommo

dnommo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher of English, Literature & Poetry
    Ratings:
    +15
    While I have read many different opinions and topics on these boards, i find it disturbing that there are some who change sides as quickly as it takes for someone to challenge their views. Also there are many in the world who attempt to stand for everything when in turn, they stand for nothing. Well, my question to the forum is simple,

Are you an influence to your environment or is your environment influencing you?

Kemet, this one has been ringing in me for a while and i just needed to put it out there. I wonder who will respond honestly. What do you think?

DISCLAIMER: ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS A PERSONAL ATTACK ON THEM, IT IS NOT FOR I DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN SUCH TRIVIAL PURSUITS. BUT LET'S BE REAL HERE, THERE ARE MANY AROUND US, IN OUR JOBS, HOMES AND NEIGHBORHOODS, THAT WILL QUICKLY TAKE THE SIDE OF LESS CONFRONTATION. JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT DIRECT EFFECT YOU HAVE ON YOUR ENVIRONMENT.

2. Bakari

Bakari Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Dnommo,

could you explain how you are defining being an influence to the environment vs being influenced by the environment.

3. dnommo

United States
    Ratings:
    +15
    sure...

the best way for me to do that is by example. I was told by a coworke of mine that they did not like their job because it was not a Christian environment and that God would not put them in a position for struggle. It reminded me of the passage is Matthew 5 that tells us to we are a "light of the world." It led me to think that God did not place her there to be stressed but to be a ligth in the midst fo darkness. In other words, if the environement is bad, how do you contribute to it's betterment. Do you participate in its destruction (influenced by your environement) or do you contribute to its growth (influencing your environment).

Another example is when someone who lives in the urban decay of cities commits a crime and says that it's all around me so what else am i to do? Moreso, if you are in the middle of a bad situation you a three side choice.

1. Be silent and let the destruction go on or walk away ignoring it..

2. Particiapte in the continued destruction or

3. Help to change the situation for the better.

I didn't want it be a religous discussion because we all have different views but i did want to know if we use our situation as an excuse to do something.

Bakari i hope this explains it without it being a religious discussion. While the responses may include beleifes, i didn't want the topic to go that way simply because many are influenced by things other than GOD.

Basically, what kind of impression or mark are you leaving on the world. Positive or negative...

I do thank you for responding. i look forward to your response...

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    This is an interesting question Dnommo, thanks for posing it. I'm gonna attempt to answer.

Let's see ... I think that I'm both influenced by and influential in my community. You weren't specific in regard to how we may be influential or influenced by, but in the most general way, I think we all are both. For example, we are all influenced by the WTC bombing, crime, racism, the ecomony, etc., in some degree or another and we all have the ability to influence another in some small way, be it our children, our neighbors or those strangers we choose to show kindness too. We may never know how influential a kind or encouraging word may have been to another but I'm certain it happens often throughout a day for most people.

In regard to changing my position on issues, I'm sure I've done it when someone has been able to convince me that where I stood (so to speak) was not on the most solid ground. Though it has happened, it is not easy to do, especially when I think I'm right ... but I am willing to listen and consider another's side.

For example, there is a thread here that Kemetstry started (I think it's the one titled Ladies) that in the beginning, I did not want to hear, refused to believe that it was a woman's "fault" if she got pregnant. I even bowed out early in that discussion, so that I would not have to fly to Detroit and choke Kemetstry's neck. But I continued to read the responses and slowly but surely had to accept the reality of the fact, that if a woman finds herself pregnant, she alone, must accept the resonsibility of that choice she made. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think it was meant for her to carry it alone, but the fact remains that she often is the one carrying it alone, and at some small juncture, she had complete control of her body which would have kept that from happening. At the same time too, for those men who whine and cry about child support, the same holds true ... he too is at complete "fault" for finding himself in that predicament, for the same reasons stated above.

Sometimes too, a person hasn't thought much about a particular subject and based on the discussions may go back and forth, listening to all sides ... before taking a firm position.

I don't think being willing to change one's position, if convinced to do so with wisdom shared by others ... is a bad thing. Do you?

Destee

5. dnommo

United States
    Ratings:
    +15
    hey Destee,

Actually, in response to your last statement i din't think that would be a bad change but my premise is that it took enlightenment and wisdom in order for the change to come. Moreso, the initial opinion may hve come purely from emotions with facts supporting it or maybe their influences on their situation were more negative than positive. I do beleive in change but i beleive in change for the empowerment and growth not for destruction. I know my question was vague but it was meant to be for influences come from so many varied places.

I definitely agree with your point and response and thanks for stopping in.

The moral of it all? It is best to be a positive influence instead of a negative one. For those who like analogies:

It is better to be a contributor to growth than an paticipant of destruction...

6. BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE

BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Nefertum Husia Shayheh MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    1. The brain
    2. The nervous system
    3. Animal nature
    4. Plant nature
    5. Insect nature
    6. Space
    7. My own self--mystery
    8. Grappling powers beyond normal senses, which sort of falls in the mystery category
    9. Your eyes and touch...think about it
    (Diary of a Black Man: Just An Illusion) Copyright 2014

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :10900: destee influences me. what ever she say i do……...

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Hmm, I like to be more influential than I am influenced by this world.

But it can be difficult not to be influenced by how terrible things really are, just gotta keep ya head up.