Black People : What industries should make up the foundation of a new black economy?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Jun 16, 2011.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    In my Is The Black Economy Built On Vanity And Insecurity thread, Josef asked a question and made a statement that led me to ask..

"What industries should make up the foundation of a new black economy?"

and for the record.. this thread is about ideas.. it's not about whether or not a
    black economy exists.. or if their should be a black economy.. or what whites do.. it's
    about taking a look at the state of our people and aligning our economic activities
    with our aspiration.. It's about responsible capitalism.. meaning capitalism that is
    beholden to more than just the accumilation of wealth.. capitalism that cares where
    the money comes from.. not that ruthless white capitalism that profits from murder
    and slavery and everything else.. so, please if you have any ideas for the kinds of
    businesses you believe black communities should develop, let's hear it.

2. ManicRaider

ManicRaider Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +166
    Is it alright if I ask what the old (current) foundation is? Just so I don't suggest something that's already out there.

3. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    No.

4. ManicRaider

United States
    Ratings:
    +166
    Thanks for the mature, non-ignorant response. I just wanted to know so that I don't suggest something over again.

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I believe the ignorance belongs to the person that doesn't know something.. for example.. the person asking the question. When you pose yes/no questions, you should be prepared to receive either a yes or a no.. right?

What really is the harm in suggesting something that exists already? If you have nothing to say, say nothing. If you disagree with the premise of a thread, either start your own thread that articulates your ideas or fallback and listen as the conversation develops.. maybe in listening, you'll come to understand the topic better.

That is.. if you can stand the possibility of learning something from a black person.

6. ManicRaider

United States
    Ratings:
    +166
    Yes I am ignorant of the "industries" you speak of but what's the harm in educating me?

I figured you wanted new ideas.

Why are you getting so defensive? You act like I was saying something bad about your topic. I was just asking a question so I could better contribute to it. You're trying to pick a fight before anything has happened.

Seeing as how I am black myself I don't have a problem learning from another black person. Unfortunately you're adamant against the idea of teaching anyone anything.

7. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    well you figured wrong.. I don't want new ideas.. I want your ideas.. from your own mind.. from your own experience.. from your own perspective..
    Can you do that? or not? ..and listen, a question is never just a question... context is everything.. and subtext is almost everything.

8. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Culture and sports. I said it.

We dominate the music scene, we dominate the sports scene. We should build corporations that sign our artists and athletes and make sure that a) they represent us in a way that isn't wholly defamatory and b) give something back to the community as PART OF THEIR CONTRACT - both financially and physically.

These two institutions alone could carry us into a new age where we have our own pro-black schools (curriculums), daycare centres, pscyholgist centres and maybe one day universities. Also, there should be some kind of diplomatic office that represents us in the diaspora where we live that can talk to our diplomats back home about us purchasing land and going back to settle down. Or at least a program that lets us send young inner-city (low-income family) kids to Afrika for schooling.

I suppose vanity could be part of our economy as well ;) No reason why we can't up the ante on the asians and make money of our own people selling hair and nails. Whatever it takes to build a nation is what I say. We could sneak in a positive twist too, make locs look fashionable again or something.

One,

- Ikoro

9. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Great question.

Well, I already read ahead and see that Bro. Ikoro stated what I was going to say!

I definitely say, the Hair industry. We need to take that back! And I don't really believe it could be hard to do if we could come together on this.

i love this post!

10. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Awesome!