Black People : What if You're Wrong ?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Peace and Blessings Family,

What if that which you believe, is wrong?

If not completely wrong, just not completely right?

Do you consider this possibility, when presenting your truths?

I'll answer first.

Yes, i do consider that i could be wrong, and the consequences of such. I leave room for doubt. That is why i try not to impose my personal truths, on others. That is why i am so willing to respect (be tolerant of) the personal truths of all my Sisters and Brothers. I strive to allow those who believe differently than i do, be welcome here too. I intentionally surround myself with those who have differing opinion than i, for they make me strong, where i am weak. I am always looking for a different view / perspective, that may further lead us to freedom, as none i know have got us there yet.

I think i'm rambling ... :)

But yall get the jist of the question ... what if all that you believe is wrong?

Or is it impossible for you to be wrong?

:heart:

Destee

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i know that there are very important areas that i am ignorant of. i have blank spots that need to be filled in.

it is quite possible that as i gain a better understanding i may find that i have been wrong about some things, or all things. the irony is that i spend so much energy fighting the same battles over and over again that i have much less energy left for growth. i don't have that much time left and i worry that i will not be able to get there before my number is up.
    oh well.

3. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I think it is a sign of intelligence and great learning tool. With just about anything in life you need to look at all ways, as to how something is done or as to why another person may think differently. And nobody can be right all the time so you need to. You may find a better way to do something or look at a view point from a different angle. I always find it is better to get as many opinions as you can even if you 100% disagree with them. Then the best answer is one time a combination, one time someone else’s and still sometimes all your own. But never is it always your own. And if you are wrong what a waste of the valuable time we have in this life. Have to at least try to put yourself in their shoes and understand the logic behind the thinking. People do think differently. Then if you are 100% sure you are right fine. If not be open to more ideas. And at the very least you most often will at least see things more clearly, learn and understand more. And sometimes even when you are positive you are right, if it is not working try something else. You will either accomplish something or confirm your first thoughts. Either way you are doing something.

4. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I can accept the fact that I am wrong.

I can accept it because I am in search of the truth...PERIOD. I'm not trying to be right or the most intellectual...or the deepest thinker. I'm in search of the truth. But, I will not give up what I believe without conclusive evidence that I am wrong in my thinking...in my spirit. When that happens, I will change.

BUT, I always look for clarification in what I think by listening to others share their point of view on the subject. HOWEVER, there are some things that I will not accept...and top on that list is someone's desire to change definitions of words just to satisfy their way of thinking..or a specific outcome. It is what it is. No one should build a theory around a specific result or conclusion to justify it.

Peace.

5. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Big Question

When some one who is not used to new teachings they often ask" what if u are wrong" I simply repley to them that a fact is a fact. I cannot argue with beliefs, beliefs are subjective. i try my best to study and apply the principles of simple truths. If it cannot be justified and re tested and re verified it can only be a belief. And interesting question i often asked some one when they pose the question "what if your wrong" is when u were in science class did u ask the teacher was she or he she wrong when she suggest that that fire was hot,ice cold etc or did u just accept it. Some way through personal experience u figured these things out. Most of the time we accpet things out of laziness ignorance etc. We are given a divine spark to investigate,and assumlate knowlegde from the spiritual realm and phycial realm-osiris . once u assumalte these things u develop your own truth -maat-. I can only go through nature for the truth because she lives it everyday-mother neter-.

6. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    DEFINATELY NOT 'RAMBLIN'

Seems to ME SIS, YOU'RE excercising one of OUR
    WOMENS most Powerful attributes....COMPASSION.

(And OUR WOMEN don't get enough love for it.)

One thing is for sure...Slavery was NOT 'right.'
    The stripping of one Human Being of that Human Beings

'Humanity,' Very Nature, Identity, Heritage, Dignity, Right
    to Freedom, Voice and I could go on and on and on and on

But the horse is already 'dead,' YOU see? It was not right,
    but this is the legacy WE must contend with.

WE could love and forgive and if this is the outcome WE
    must ultimately face, then so be it. However the oppressor

has caused ALL these contengencies, and for that, he'll have to answer.
    MY legacy is to see to it that he does.

Now, am I right? I don't know, I'VE been wrong before,
    but one thing is for sure, the MAN whom will not stand

for something.....will fall for anything. If I'M wrong, I'LL
    apologize later, but in the mean-time....somebody gettin

they *** whipped. (Bout OUR People.)
    Anything else...I'M probably mostly wrong.

Well such is life.

ROARIN..........

7. ct

ct Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    This is a very interesting and enlighting posting. It kind of goes back to your purpose in life for me. We could live life contend with our 24 hour plan and be only concern about the welfare of your immediate family. But as history has taught us there are always a few that go beyond the limit and seek more knowledge and more understanding and use it to benefit others.

It is true that we must be respectful of each other and not be dominating in our opinion but allow for others that view differently from our belief to provide there opinions or feedbacks. We don't have to believe what a person says because it sounds better than what the other person says, but we must go and seek true answers and if we can provide it, we should share it with others.

My belief has always been that knowledge is power, if used properly. Knowledge doesn't try to prove that a person is ignorance or not capable of knowing the true, but it leaves a path or trail that if you need to know the truth, it is readily available.

It's not bad to be wrong, but the problem comes when you can't admit or accept and still remain to live the lie and promote the falseness of what is not true or wrong.

Also when provding knowledge the task is not to be the smartest or stand out and be the master, but rather be on a plane where people know that your heart is doing it in a giving way.

I am not perfect and I know I have a lot of growth and understanding to do, but I truly believe that if I try to do unto others and learn the true meaning of trust and understanding, that I will be a better person.

Destee, I think this subject matter is very appropriate and it makes you think deeper about life and its challenges. :welldone:

8. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    "What if I'm wrong" ...........

Won't be the first or last time I've been time.........I've said it once and will continue saying it and trying to live by this......the older I get the more I understand just how little I actually truly KNOW. .........

MississippiRed

9. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    The fact is I am PROBABLY wrong. The question is am I willing to accept that the things that I believe to be true that are not FACT, have opposing thoughts for a reason. I try my best ro back up anything that I believe with facts. However, I do also make room for the fact that I COULD be wrong. Only the strongest of people can admit that. Others pass their beliefs off as fact and attack people who do not agree with them. But, hey, that's life.

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    mho

Right and wrong is subjective in nature.

Truths are relative to our individual reality.

To ask, what is true, is to be human.

That which we believe expresses who we are.

What is a fact? Only those things that we can physically see, touch, taste, smell?

Can what we see with our human eyes be an illusion created by our own thoughts and beliefs? (Matrix)

If anything is possible, then must it not be a truth?

If you can think it, believe it, why can't it be true?

What is a "miracle"?

How do you know what's true and what's not and when do you find out?

Queenie :spinstar: