Jails / Prisons : What (if any) Financial Debt Can Land You in Jail / Prison?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I was watching Judge Judy the other day, and the defendant said she had needed to be bailed out of jail because she was arrested for failing to pay for or return rented furniture! I was shocked to hear that! Arrested for not paying a rental furniture bill, and running off with the furniture?! :eeek: ... by the way, they were being sued for not paying the bail / bond money back ...

You can get arrested for that?! :eeek:

I have heard of folk getting arrested for tax issues, though some say there are ways around it.

What other financial debts can land you in jail / prison?

Did you know about renting furniture having possible jail / prison time attached?!

Looking forward to the discussion.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

peace

I know of quite a few members of society that are scared to even go pay parking tickets because they fear that if their name comes up on the computer screen, they will be locked up for failure to pay child support.

Now i ain't gonna name no names cause putt putt, ice pik and dejavou might get upset.

Peace and Blessings Family,

I was watching Judge Judy the other day, and the defendant said she had needed to be bailed out of jail because she was arrested for failing to pay for or return rented furniture! I was shocked to hear that! Arrested for not paying a rental furniture bill, and running off with the furniture?! :eeek: ... by the way, they were being sued for not paying the bail / bond money back ...

You can get arrested for that?! :eeek:

I have heard of folk getting arrested for tax issues, though some say there are ways around it.

What other financial debts can land you in jail / prison?

Did you know about renting furniture having possible jail / prison time attached?!

Looking forward to the discussion.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

Here is a neat trick: A person would be jailed on failing to show up to court when commanded to answer a charge on failure to pay a debt.

Failing to show up in court when noticed of the proceedings can lead to a warrant issued by the magistrate/judge for the apprehension of the individual to answer to the charge.

Observe:

Not paying off debts can eventually land you in jail -- at least in a sizable minority of U.S. states.
Borrowers who can't or don't pay their debts can be sent to jail in more than one-third of states, the Wall Street Journal reports. Judges may issue a warrant when a borrower either misses court ordered payments or doesn't show up in court after being sued for payments on outstanding debt. Though there are no national statistics on the practice of jailing debtors, a WSJ analysis found that judges have issued more than 5,000 debt-related warrants since the beginning of 2010. (Source)

Arrest warrants generally can be issued if a borrower defies a court order to repay a debt or doesn't show up in court. Retailers, credit-card issuers, landlords and debt collectors are the most frequent seekers of such orders, according to court filings and interviews with judges and lawyers. (Source)

The arrest is not based on failure to pay a debt, but failure to show up in court or heed a court order.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back