Black Short Stories : What I Have

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Ireadastory, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Ireadastory

Ireadastory Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    First posting and the honest truth is appreciated...

"Can you actually have sex? I mean since your legs are that way?" It really amazes me how people look at me, not as a person but a person that is different, a person with limitations. So it was not a surprise that I was being asked such a question. What was my response? simply "Sure I can, now I may not be able to put my legs behind my neck but hey! it's more than one way to do it right?". Randy's eyes widened, I don't know if he was surprised that I answered his question or if it was what I said in answering the question. I don't know but either way the conversation about sex was over with my answer.

Here I was on a date with a guy I met at a girlfriends dinner party. Me, never the shy one, got engaged in pleasant conversation with Randy and now here we are on our first and maybe last date. "I am sorry to be so bold and blunt to ask you a question like that. I was rude and disrespectful. Their is so much more to talk about on a first date than sex, forgive me?". I sat there staring into Randy's beautiful coal black eyes trying to see whether he was telling the truth or if that was a line that was just pleasing to the ear with no true meaning behind it. I sat there for a moment looking and then I saw it, the truth.

I had to tell him exactly what I thought about his question and his apology. " You know Randy you are right, there is so much more to talk about on a first date than sex. There will be times when that conversation will and should come up but not on the first date. However, I admire anyone who is not afraid to speak their mind and say and ask whatever is on their mind. I like boldness and bluntness is true honesty in most cases. You had something on your mind that you wanted to know so you asked. I am the same way, but I wasn't thinking about sex, at least not tonight. I thank you and I accept your apology because that let's me know that you have enough compassion to care about others and that everything is not about you and how you feel". Randy sat back in his seat staring at me with this smile on his face and this look of surprise in his eyes. "You are something else Gina. I thought you were about to speak me out, throw your drink in my face and then walk out, but you actually like my boldness. Amazing!". "Walk out! are you kidding and miss a free meal? Don't you know that me and food are friends? We have a relationship". Randy looked at me with a smile and said "Really, I can't tell as small as you are, you can't be no more than 105 soaking wet". "See that's where you are wrong. I'm 109 and that's completely dry". We laughed and talked through the remainder of our dinner.

I found out that he was from the south too. He grew up right here in Nashville, Tennessee. His mother had been a high school teacher and his dad had worked contruction for 23 years. Both his parents are now retired and traveling the country in there fully loaded RV. He is the only child and he went to Tennessee State University where he recieved a B.A. degree in Journalism. I shared some information with him as well. I told him that I was from Huntsville, AL. My grandmother raised me because my mother was addicted to drugs and overdosed on crack when I was 18 months old". "That must have been rough growing up without a mother". Randy said with compassion in his voice. "It was because I felt as though I was missing something but my granny did the best she could and I love her for that". I was glad that we did not stay on that subject long I didn't want to sound like the Hallmark Movie of the week. We talked so much that we almost let the time get away from us. We were going to hear some Spoken Word at Cafe Mocha a new spot on 29th and Jefferson. The Cafe wasn't too far from the restaurant so we decided to walk. Randy paid for dinner, put the tip on the table, pulled my chair back and gently placed my arm inside of his. With a smile he asked "Shall we?" and in the same manner of playfulness I answered "We shall".

We were met outside by the cool breeze of a gorgeous fall night. Before we took another step Randy looked at me and asked if I was up for the walk because he didn't want to cause me any unnecessary pain. As sweet as his concern was I felt the need to skip Cafe Mocha to go some place where we could talk. Randy needed to know what I have and why I have it....

2. krazelyricks

krazelyricks Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    This was tyte. It was funny all the way through. I was truly diggin' it. Shoot, I'm wondering what sistah girl got too. You left a sistah over here hangin. You know you ain't right. Yo, welcome to Destee's and I'll be looking for the rest of the story.

3. lil'MizzUnique

lil'MizzUnique Active Member MEMBER

high skool student
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Well Well. I must say that I'm really feelin this. But why you keepin a sistah hangin'? I mean you coulda told us what ol' girl had. Well i guess that is the point of keeping your readers attached.. I cant wait for more!!!

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    tyte write felt dis story like it was live

5. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219