Black Short Stories : What I Have (The Conclusion)

Ireadastory

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2004
We decided to take a trip down to the Riverfront in the heart of Downtown Nashville. Downtown Nashville is a tourist attraction because of the many restaurants and souvenir shops as well as all the country music clubs around the area. The Riverfront is just one big seating area that has stackable concrete seats on one side of it and the Cumberland River in front of it. During the summer months there are many events held there such as Dancin in the District where many of today’s popular artists come to perform as well as many local acts and the admission price is far below that of a regular concert. The scenery is very beautiful at night with the new walk through bridge with its bright lights cascading through every arch, that bridge can take you to and from the Tennessee Titan’s Stadium. There is also the BellSouth building also known as the “Batman building” because of it’s architectural shape. I was glad that the summer was over and that fall had settled in. There were not too many people out downtown so it wasn’t difficult to find a quiet place to talk. We settled for a spot on the third row of the concrete seats facing the river. Another reason I was thankful for the nice cool fall night was that the river did not smell, usually in the heat of summer sitting near that river is not much of an option. I was really thankful that we decided to dress casual. I was wearing dark blue jeans an asymmetrical earth tone blouse and dark brown heals. Randy had more of the college boy look even though we were both in our late 20’s. With khaki pants and a white T-shirt under a navy blue and white plaid long sleeve shirt and immaculate white sneakers. I thought we looked good together, for a first date and all. I must admit Randy is definitely my type.
Five- foot- seven, with dark chocolate skin, a pearly-white smile, that Crest White Strips didn’t give him, and the most beautiful pair of coal black eyes. You know, the kind of eyes that when he looks at you nothing has to be said and your clothes just fall off automatically, okay maybe you don’t, anyhow beautiful eyes was my point.

After Randy helped me to the seat and we sat down I didn’t feel the need to go around the whole forest so I just cut right to it. “Randy I appreciate your concern about my physical being, believe me it is well appreciated, but don’t treat me as though I am any different than you. I was never raised that I couldn’t do anything but that I could do everything if I tried. Yes, I do have some limitations and believe me I will tell you what I can’t do. I am not that fragile. What I have is a birth defect it is called Cerebral Palsy and I was born with it. It is not a disease, it’s a defect. Cerebral Palsy effects the limbs causing little or no control of motor skills and there are several different forms of it. I have it all over, in my legs arms and back. That’s why when I walk there is such a sway in my back and instead of my legs being straight they turn inward sometimes it does hurt because my knees will on occasion hit each other”. Randy sat there giving me his undivided attention.
He seemed to be really fascinated about this thing called Cerebral Palsy. I was really surprised he hadn’t asked me earlier, why I walk the way I do, considering his very open sex question “So where did it come from? What causes it?” Happy that the conversation was rolling. I dreaded this conversation, with most men. This conversation was like the single parent syndrome. The guy would start dating the woman but as soon as the guy found out about the kid they were gone and vice-versa. I was attractive all day long while sitting down because you couldn’t see the physical disability but the minute I stood up and began towalk I was suddenly a leper. Go figure, anyway, “Cerebral Palsy is caused by a lack of oxygen to the baby during birth. I weighed only two pounds and two ounces during birth. I was very much a preemie” I explained. “Is that why you are so small now?” “You know I don’t really know, I have never been very big. I have always been underweight. But I can eat! So I really don’t know. Maybe I just have a high metabolism”. “Well at least you have curves with your small frame”. He was right about being small. I am five-feet-two. I actually weigh 109lbs. But the only curves I have are a handful of breast and a shapely bumble bee butt. I have long sandy-red hair, light brown eyes and skin the color of warm golden sand. “I guess, I will take that as a compliment, I think” “You should because it is”. Not really sure what to say next I just said thank you. We sat there for a little while longer talking about CP and what it feels like and how I have been treated because of it and what my limitations are and how I handle the staring. The basic questions and answers when on this subject.

It was getting late so we agreed to call it a night. Randy had stated earlier that he had some research to do for a piece he was working on. He worked for the local newspaper, The Tennessean. I understood, even though I didn’t have much planned for the rest of the night or for the next day, I agreed it was getting late. I didn’t have any pressing assignments right now. That’s what I like about being a freelance writer, I can set my own schedule. We got up to walk down the concrete seats and as we stood Randy took my hands and looked me straight in the eyes and said “Thank you”. A puzzled look came across my face. I guess he understood my question without me actually asking. “For sharing apart of who you are and what you are about with me, without any games or lies. I appreciate and respect that”. I swallowed hard to fight back the tears of emotional gratitude I was feeling at this moment. And that’s when it happened…Randy leaned down and gave me the most sensual, most passionate kiss. It was a kiss that made me feel like he understood me and wanted to understand me more. It was a kiss that told me he could deal with people staring at us. But most important it was a kiss that told me that he accepted me for me and not for what I have on the outside but for what I have on the inside. And that is how we began.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back