Black People : WHAT HAVE WE BECOME?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Metaverse, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Let's examine GLOBAL African Consciousness

Overall, as one complete organism- what type of entity are we? When we piece together Africans in America, along with Africans in Canada, South America, the Caribbean, Europe, China, Japan, Australia, and Africa itself - what have we become?

Have we become a culture of promoters?

As taught by many business leaders, the pathway to wealth and empowerment if first- Production, then promotion and last distribution. Meaning, first you have to be able to produce something. Yet some companies start promoting even before creating an actual product or service. It seems that our people are in that league.

[​IMG]

Perhaps there is nothing wrong at all with a mouth full of gold teeth. What is wrong is that we are promoting products that we do not produce nor distribute on a global scale.

But to be fair, before I go off ranting about what we don't produce and distribute, let's first talk about the products in the world Black folks DO in fact produce.

When was the last time you saw some Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee in a Rap Video? Probably never.

[​IMG]
    Yet this product is produced by our people. 90% of this product is consumed by Japan. In fact there is more of a demand for this product than they can produce.

[​IMG]
    Trinidad another Black producer in the Caribbean , has abundant energy supplies, petroleum- as well as natural gas. When you stop at a BP gas station, you are also extract gas produced by this island. Some of BP’s largest wells are in Trinidad, 10 of the top 13 are located within the Caribbean Basin.

[​IMG]
    Let's also keep in mind African Women's primary responsibility- is food production.
    [​IMG]

Let's not forget the textile and fashion industries either.

There's a very extensive list of products and services that Africans in the world produce. So let's ask ourselves this question.

Why aren't we promoting what we produce?
    Why are we constantly so devoted to promoting the products and services of our oppressors, or natural or un-natural competitors?

[​IMG]
    When was the last time you saw one of these. A 45? If you're a Jamaican DJ you see it everyday. DJs all around the world still use 45s. Why? Because they can control it's production. They actually produce the vinyl as well as recycle them when needed. Economically, that is a very smart move.

You know all that music and data you have stored on a CD. Guess what, there's no such thing as passing down that information down to generations. CD will last maximum 100 years and that's under proper conditions. Vinyl on the other hand can be passed down generations, lasting over 1000s of years.

So who is smarter? Why are we promoting the newest and the fastest when they older stuff worked just fine? More importantly, now- the older stuff uses technology and machinery we can afford to purchase so we can control it's production and distribution.

Is there any good reason why Koreans should be the main ones controlling the Black hair care industry? For me especially I know personally there should be no reason, since Atlanta itself is a Black hair care mecca.

[​IMG]

"Girl who did your hair?" Are we really promoting the Hair Stylist? Or are we really promoting the dyes, gels, weaves and other ingredients that are not created by us at all. (While some are, I work with a few Black owned companies that do) Not that the Asian is our enemy, but we should be more aggressive with our dollars, especially since we are the ones in need of jobs , employment and job creation.

While at first it appears we are just promoting our "Style" our style is also used to mock our intelligence. Because in the real world, no really "smart" person would compromise their own survival just to promote the lifestyle and welfare of others unless they were programmed internally to do so.

[​IMG]

Brothers-Men-Warriors- we know there is nothing wrong with a hot ride with flashy wheels. But are we the ones producing these products. Do we own the machines that create them? No. But we sure could if we came up with a plan to do so. Oh, but we are too big and bad to be Car producers, we just want to be buyers. Well no wonder those jobs are going to India.

[​IMG]
    Go head and blame it all on cheap labor and outsourcing like most Americans, but the truth is we are driving their product- so we are to blame.

[​IMG]

We enjoy promoting things that do not contribute to our longevity and shared collective interests. Why aren't we asking- who does this product or service benefit the most? Why is this logo on my behind? Who controls the materials that go into this product? Do we even know what goes into Jean production?
    Is anyone even educating us about what we consume?

Sounds to me like there are allot of jobs afterall, we just don't want them because we are having such a good time promoting.

[​IMG]
    Don't get me wrong, promoters like P.Diddy make lots of money- but compared to what the companies he promotes make its only a drop in the bucket. Why not just create the company? Purchase the equipment you need to do the job and create the jobs necessary. Is that too much for P. Diddy to handle? It looks that way.

But we shouldn't expect others to do for us what we should be doing for ourselves. Which is why we shouldn't buy into these high profile figures either. The more we support them, the more we support the companies they promote.

2. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    You are absolutely right

Are youth are embracing a nihilistic culture and wearing symbols of nihilism as a baclash against us, and out of a subconcious anger, since we with 800 billion hardly produce anything,
    Where are our manufacturers, supermarket, or even fast food chains, and deparment stores?
    I advice folks to buy gold because the economic base of this nation is based on paper pushing and piratization of the resources of other nations, as oppposed to manufacturing which helped this nation pull out of the designed depression(www.moneymasters.com) in the 30s

3. We

We Well-Known Member MEMBER

Nationbuilding
    Ratings:
    +11
    Indeed. We have become CONSUMERS -fueling the economies of other communities. The "demand" component of the "Supply and Demand" economic model.

I've often wondered if this is the lingering global socio-economic effects of Maafa. It was the free-labor of enslaved ancestors that sparked the Industrial Revolution and strengthened (if not created) many of these global economies. Today, it is our consumption that sustains them.

Have you ever heard the "Monopoly Metaphor"?

Thanks for the thought-provoking post.

4. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Bro. Natinr and "We" you've made very good points. Africans in America are near reaching a Trillion Dollar economy. During Slavery we were America's most valuable commodity. The value of a Slave was preceded only by the value of land. In 1860 a cotton harvest worth $200 million was picked by slaves.

[​IMG]

If anyone should be giving all their earnings right back to White folks, it shouldn't be us. In a fair world, by now we would all be leaders of empires and the head of every trade system that had anything to do with the Transatlantic Slave Trade. We should own cotton. Every plant, every piece of land that governed over the blood of our Ancestors. Jews get reparations for less.

[​IMG]

But it's one thing to beg for reparations, it's something totally different when we change our buying habits and start controlling our Black Economy the way it should be controlled - for us, by us. That way we extract our repatriations from the same system that has been controlling us since Slavery.

Instead of marching for everything and begging for change- we can give demands and start talking to White folks through their pockets, which is the only language they really understand.

But this is nothing new. Nothing that Dr. Wilson and Dr. Clarke didn't break down for us already anyway.

[​IMG]

What's very embarrassing, is that our Ancestors were purchasing land, even with the little they had. Many did not allow the negative history they endured as cotton pickers to take them away from being natural farmers and masters of agriculture. Most of us aren't interested in either.

How come it's possible for Ebay to become the 9th most powerful nation in the world, and yet Black folks are still tripping over their own feet trying organize- if they are trying to organize, or basically sitting around waiting for saviors to appear? Over 150,000 people live entirely off the revenues they earn from Ebay. Ebay is used by over 135 million people in the world. And how many Black folks are there in America again?

In the beginning Ebay's structure was no different than this one here @ Destee.com. Ebay was built up by the power of the people- period. So we have to wonder about that. Ebay is worth over 45 Billion, but it's runner up craigslist.com is also very interest. Again, another "system" using the power of the people to build up it's infrastructure.

[​IMG]

So when Black folks sit around and talk about, they can't do this and that cause of the lack of this and that- the truth is, folks with less are doing much more. The trick is, it begins in the mind. If the mind is screwed up then we are screwed up. Not only are we are a consumer culture, a promotion culture, but we actually create allot of ideas that others profit off too. Ideas make the world go round. A website like Ebay and even craigslist are only ideas until people participate and add to them.

I knew a White woman in marketing in NYC who told me she studies Black teenagers for ideas, especially the females because their fashion and creativity. It wasn't hard for me to imagine, that while riding the NYC subway system, some Whites in marketing and advertising are studying Black culture through the words and actions of Black youth who enter on the train. NYC's main product is advertising. In fact, Hip-Hop would never be what it is now if it's birthplace would've been anywhere else. NYC is all about advertising. Which is why we see so much of our culture being mocked in commercials especially by Whites these days. It all starts there first, and then it trickles down.

It's true we can blame this all on post traumatic slavery disorder too. But I don't see why a Rape victim would be sending money to her attacker in prison. Sounds more like a Stockholm Syndrome.

But what is the solution to all this? For myself, I try to devote my energy to those things that help our people to build up something. That could be anything, as long as it's something we did not have before. Anyone can do this job, it's not difficult. As a Salesman after school, I learned that there are things I just can't sell. For example, I can't sell an 80 year old Woman who is trying to pay her mortgage by herself because her Husband past away 2 months ago a $1,500 vacuum cleaner. I can't do it. Some people can.

[​IMG]

Like most Teens I had my beginnings with a vacuum cleaning company called "Kirby" even Oprah had her beginnings there too. Some people can sell that 80 year old Woman a $1,500 vacuum cleaner, put the poor Woman in debt and not care about it because it's all for a commission- and survival is key.

I try never to devote myself to selling anything I could not benefit from myself, or afford. And I understand that there are some ideas that we simply cannot afford. I don't think unity is one of them. I think we can't afford to go on without unity, and as well a major lifestyle adjustment that would help solidify our unity. It doesn't mean we have to hold one another arm in arm singing Kumbaya, but we should be able to agree to committed actions that support our collective survival. I think we can afford that. We can afford to use our ideas for our own self benefit and interests. Overall, we do produce allot of ideas, only that these ideas are being used against us and not for us.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    No Truer words

Ase, ase, ase-o!!!

Thank you, brother for all of your thought-provoking posts.

Blackbird