Black People : What happened to the Black Conscious Community and our Movement?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Liberty, Jan 3, 2017.

1. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +965
    Other 'interest groups' know that ideology is the key to unity! Most of the Afrikans that I know don't know what an ideology is, much less have one. A lot of 'conscious' people don't know. Take a survey if you don't believe me. Ask the members of this community what, in one word, is their ideology?

2. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    You mean African Power vs/instead of Black Power?

3. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +965
    I mean recognizing that the word black, although an honorable term, has outgrown its usefulness. It's just an adjective that was used to describe us. "The proper name of a people should always reflect land, history, and culture', Dr. John Henrik Clarke. If the name that you are called by does not reflect land, history, and culture, you have been called out of your name! The noun Afrikan does just that! All Afrikans are black, but not all blacks consider themselves Afrikan! Are we clear? The Afrikan ethnic identity is the key to unity. We seem to be the only group that hasn't figured this out yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    OK. Thanks for explaining.

5. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    I use to watch Travis Smiley's show, State Of Black America. I was watching one day, about 6 hours, as the Black leaders and others shared input to form The Covenant With Black America. I bough the book, noooo, I had to have the book mailed to me because their were not enough sales for B&N.

State of Black America

At the banquet table of life, there are no reserved seats. You get what you can take and keep what you can hold. If you can't take anything, you won't get anything. And if you can't hold anything, you won't keep anything. And you can't take anything without organization.

The Covenant With Black America

1. Securing the right to healthcare and well being
    2. Establishing a system of Public Education in which all children achieve high levels and reach their full potential
    3. Correcting the system of unequal justice
    4. Fostering accountability community-centered policing
    5. Ensuring Broad Access to Affordable Neighborhoods that connect to opportunity
    6. Claiming our Democracy
    7. Strengthening our Rural Roots
    8. Assessing good jobs, wealth, and economic prosperity
    9. Assuring environmental justice for all
    10. Closing the racial divide

Our covenant is neither a contract no a compact. A contract is to selfish and a compact too seasonal. Now is the time for us to keep faith with our spiritual, moral, and political covenant bequeathed to us by our great foremothers and forefathers that simply say: "Stand with grace and dignity and take action with courage and compassion, with malice toward none yet a righteous indignation against injustice.....
    (I typed the above from the book. No cut and paste.)

I agree with this agenda. This Covenant With Black America was written/published 2006.

Covenant With Black America
    http://www.covenantwithblackamerica.com/ - 22k - Cached - Similar pages
    Covenant With Black America
    covenantwithblackamerica.com

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  6. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Thank you for posting, IFE!

7. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +965
    My pleasure Princess!

8. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +965
    I respectfully disagree totally! This is the typical complacent, gatekeeping, petty bourgeoisie approach to our struggle! These people cannot wrap their brains around the idea of autonomy, i.e., being separate from and independent of whites. Of being in complete control of our own sovereign communities. Can you? Study our struggle during the reconstruction period of the 1860s/70s, and compare it to the Civil Rights struggle of the 1950s/60s/7os. We keep fighting the same battles over and over, e.g., civil rights, police brutality, affirmative action, equal education etc.. We need to make a U-turn and go in the opposite direction. The opposite of integration is separation!!!

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,601
    A few questions. What do you mean by Black Conscious Community? Who first coined that phrase and when? How do you define "our Movement"? There have been numerous Black/African movements each reflecting the ideological differences within our communities (plural). There has never been one single community or movement. What has happened is a breakdown in generational leadership leading to a political vacuum as well as an eroding base of Black economic wealth, and neocolonialism tightening its grip on African economies which are in crisis as capitalism is collapsing in many western nations. Black leadership long ago sought integration rather than self determination and Black liberation thus our current state of crisis. Gangsterism and petty capitalist hustling is running rampant in the so called conscious community which is driven by social media misinformation and sensationalism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,604
    Since I do agree with your overview:

Which truly progressive approaches are you also advancing to halt the rise of black vs black youth homicides in our cities as well?

And please let's do agree to share our thoughts about new means to move us forward again in 2017 as well!