Black Men : What happened to passing down/sharing knowledge for living?

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by NyneElementz, Dec 26, 2012.

1. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Before you read this, I want everyone to know that I don't expect that everyone sees things as I do. This is actually about sharing general knowledge between generations of men, such as saving, deciding to buy a house or rent an apartment, ficing minor car problems, choosing a mechanic, you know, things that help us plan our lives out.

I ask this because it seems a lot of brothers younger than I am are hungry for this knowledge and often remarks that noone tells them about things like that. I personally was happy whenever I could sit at an elder's feet and learn some things. But lately, I've seen more judgment and platitudes-preaching than willingness to teach, and I'm wondering why this is.

Brothers? Care to discuss this?

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Back in the day young Brothers learned some things you mentioned from their Fathers, Uncles and church or community Elders, as well as taking shop classes in school. We worked as apprentices to these Elders in various trades.

This is no longer our reality. Too many of our youth are raised by single moms and we know the rest.

3. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

By the way, as you may know, I am an educator, and as such, I often interact with my students on an intimate level discussing things with them that most of their teachers don't, because I am not in a public school setting. I share as much as I can while at the same time being careful not to overstep boundaries.

4. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I think the knowledge is over abundant out there in books. Yet Black bookstores are so out of vogue that even though they are overstocked with this knowledge, that there's no longer a culture of visiting our bookstores, these bookstores go out of fashion before they come into it.

Case and point, you'd more likely see a class go to a European Library than an African Bookstore. But even the former is rare.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    "This is actually about sharing general knowledge between generations of men"

Between generations of MEN.

This is KNOWLEDGE that can not be found in books because it is the knowledge of "GENERATIONS of MEN" it is generally passed through Oral History (storytelling), a set of written 'Instructions' and apprenticeship. I learned from all three methods and often my disconnect with other Black MEN has to do with experiences that are different. I was taught by Generations of Black Men , as well as Black women, but was fortunate because my Father was a Black Genius- a craftsman, master builder and engineer- by profession. My Dad was a 'true' Illuminator- not that Masonic ritual craft- He was a senior and master Lighting Engineer. He constructed African themed lighting fixtures, hand made Ashanti Chieftan stools, made clay and wood replicas of Ife, Benin and Nok artifacts. He also taught me painting, brick laying, housing constructing, drafting and architectural design, and I am talking about before the age of 14.

6. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Many men, if they have children, abandon this path and leave it to the public school education system to instill knowledge in their children.

Sometimes men present information to the young when they are not ready to receive it. My dad tried to teach me mechanics. Just wasn't interested. Now that I'm older, I need it.

The highest knowledge men can pass on to the youth is how to self-educate and self-develop.

Couple reasons could be:

1) Economic competition. Competition, generally, doesn't foster sharing.
    2) Contempt for the other (on both parties).
    3) Retention of power (knowledge becomes power when applied).

On the youth's part, many are looking for a hot tip to make a quick buck which is not the way to go.

The way education is conducted today is a bit foreign. For thousands of years, "apprenticeship" or tutelage has been the primary method for passing on knowledge.

7. spiritual eyes46

spiritual eyes46 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +59
    yy
    yes there are a lot of single women trying to raise boys to men,and girls to become ladies,some fail because of dysfunction of their own lives therdore of a cycle repeating itself,in today's world a child must find a postive outlet ,strong role models and sad to say very few are left, so he or she must really sudy hard, and not give in to peer pressures,it's a cold world out there, and i really feel for te children for they are our futures, and when a child starts to give up hope, feel no love,know no love,has no family or family that is in name only he or sheturns to the streets for love,and they become lost mentally,spiritually,and therefore no good to themselves let alone others, and the sad thing is most want to see them fail, if it was like back in the day of people caring,rea friends, a viillage coming toether aaah what a chance they would have,.....

8. spiritual eyes46

Ratings:
    +59
    your dad you need to thank him everyday some youth don't even know whom there father is and sometimes mother and if they do know whom he is ,most likely he is a absent parent taking care of someone else children and forgrtting about his own, or out in the streets hustling, don't care right from wrong, al about making money and loving the honey's, we really do need the one's that have made it, the one's that know a little something about to become a mentor to the young ones take them under your wings and guide them, and no one said it would be easy you have to catch them while they are young, i've seen and heard a lot and i've tried to help many the only advice i can give is you choose wisely,if you see a single mother whom really wants and needs yur help to mold her child help her, for if she had someone it could make a world of difference so reach out and become that big brothe, that uncle,that aunt, that big sister and the greatest reward is that one day that child will grow up to d the same

9. spiritual eyes46

Ratings:
    +59
    thank goodness you had a great father in your life but the truth is life comes from experience yes books can teach us a lot but the real word will show you the truth, and the truth is ugly if the youth can not get it together and walk a path to righteous instead of destruction, some youth just don"t have good role models or good parents and coming rom a broken home,well you and i both know what the chances are for these youth, adults need to step up and keep telling the youth that want to hear and listen, that there is nothing in the streets, and show them the way if you can sports, camping, fishing,something positive how to earn a little change raking yards and saving it,how to respect themselves and others and not be tempted by peer pressures, and come up with some kind of outlet to remove themselvs, sometimes speaking with the mother helps andthen you kind of know where her head is, we have some mothers out here and i use this word lightly, just because you have a baby doesn't make you a mother, some of these women have given up on life, and if you hear their stories or know their stories how can one judge, you can hve nothing but empathy she woud hopefully be glad that someone is stepping up to the plate to gude her child and then again maybe not because she wants to forever be a victim of society and now has no love in her heart,and no soul and may resent her child because someone wants to show him or her the way, that there is better if you just reach and it won't be easy especially when a child has seen nothing but heartache,misery,abuse and no love ,getting this child to trust and assuring this child you are there and teaching him or her,that they must work hard and if possible you will become that family member they never had.....

10. spiritual eyes46

Ratings:
    +59
    you are so right i've met men in late 30 to 50 whom don't have a clue and was never taught and by that time they are so angry and bitter and unteachable, to the point of they ask and you show them they become angry because it was so simple,,,even if some parents and i'll use this word lightly never taught their children about the birds and the bees, the snakes, and the con from women and men, some want to believe thy can change people, or they are looking for love in all the wrong places and have blinders on,by the time they open their eyes it's too late and they judge everyone, granted it's some decent people in the world but far and few that will keep it real and try and tell the men/women but as the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink and therfore they ust learn thru trials & tribulations, some learn some don"t,i myself learned from elders as well but from what i've seen as a adult the elders now are not positive, and therefore the knowledge of life is not there to learn so if you can teach a youth the ways of life and he or she is willing to learn and listen then you know that will be pasted on to the next, today's youth are having babies at 12 some younger, they want girlfriends/boyfriends instead of enjoying life while they are young,getting their education, working,saving,taking their time on meeting a person whom as the same mindset as themselves, buying a home in there 20's by the time they are in there 50's they can enjoy,travel and then have children if if wish after college and they hve her buisness in order start some type of buisness that you know will always be a demand for to keep your money flowing and anything negative in their life get rid of it, step away and don't look back, and respect women and themselves, yes it's some women that wil make a calm man lose his cool, and that is where common sense comes in, keep positive persons in our circle you will know them by their works, and watch out for the conman/ slick talkers,fast talkers,and when buying a home hire your own appraiser,if possible buy the land first the build,once you start a family plans and dreams are harder,........and to answer your question of why the last generation did not teach the next because they are so dsyfunction and are just lost to the cause,if a grown man at 40 is sagging,drnking,smoking,cussing,and several baby mama's what is he teaching his generation an that's where you come in ......letting them know that there is nothing in the streets but destruction,stay out of clubs,keep POSITIVE PEOPLE IN THEIR CIRCLE SO THEY CAN LEARN,,,,SOME MAY LOVE YOU AND SOME MAY HATE AND THAT IS THE REALITY OF LIFE....