Black Sports : What Great Sports Star From Back In The Day Could Compete in Today's Sports Leagues?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Mar 9, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The topic thread says it all:

Could Wilt Chamberlain lead the NBA in scoring today?

Would Dr. J have won the 2004 Dunk Contest?

Could Joe Louis beat Lennox Lewis?

Would Walter Payton lead the NFL in rushing during the 2003 season?

Could Hank Aaron have broken the home run record against today's MLB pitchers?

Would Jack Johnson be heavyweight champion today?

Could Satchel Page strike out batters like he did in the Negro Leagues?

How many blocked shots would Bill Russell have if he played today?

Could Oscar Robinson have averaged a triple double against today's NBA defense?

What old school greats could dominate the current greats? :argue:

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Magic Johnson could come back and lead the league in assist because no one knows how to pass anymore (especially Kobe). Plus when he had the ball, he has total control of the game. Dr. J couldn't have won the slam dunk title 2004 though. You have to be really flashy nowadays to do it. Most dunks have been done already. Muhhammed Ali would beat Lenox Lewis no problem. He's way too smart for him and he has the power also. If Oscar Robinson averaged a triple double back in the day, he could do it now. There's no such thing as defense anymore except in Detroit now. Ben Wallace is the man. If I played ball, I'd want to ball like that guy, with a little more offense though. He's fun to watch play. Even though scoring is down in the NBA, it's not because of good defense. At least I wouldn't think it was. It seems like it's more from lack of knowing how to shoot the ball and everyone falling in love with the 3-point shot. I think Wilt could win the scoring title because he would still be able to dominate most teams. He'd have some problems with Shaq and maybe a little with Yao Ming, but for the most part there would be no one to stop him. I mean, if Shaq wanted to I think he could lead the league in scoring, if he got the touches that he should get. I think it's similar with Wilt. If you feed him the ball all game long, the points will come. :toast:

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    can wilt lead the league in scoring today .....yes but surely Iverson and in Jordan era
    would have gave it a go as well Mike would have beaten him to a point but who knows
    because the D is mush weaker today it's a run and gun type of game with him getting
    the ball 90% of the time he can rack points up for sure yes he can !

could Dr.J win intodays contest .......yes his leap ability was awesome and the
    style he use but up against M.Jordan from his era i have to say no because Jordan
    not only had the leap but such great creativity in the air he would rule that area
    but Dr.J can capture the crown and would have in 03...

could Joe beat Lennox , Joe was a great fighter but i would say no Lennox is too
    much for Joe ......no he wouldn't have beat Lennox

would Walter Payton lead NFL in rushing in 2003 .....NO !
    he was one of the all; time rushing greats in his era days
    but today their are too many who can run the ball and move well
    Payton would have had trouble with no line in front of him if he was still with the
    Bears in 03 but he would have been close maybe the third or forth runner up

could Hank Arron slap as many out today to break the record aganist these pitchers
    NO..... maybe in the low 50's most he would have hit if that many i think after
    the year SOSA & McGwire went at it and Sosa finish with 66 and McGwire with 70
    it was the record that would stand but Sir Bonds came in and made baseball history
    with his record breaking 71 st blast this will stand if they stop using those boaster
    drugs that is why McGwire beat Sammy out and also broke him down with back
    problems that ended his career....No Hank couldn't break it .

would Jack Johnson be heavyweight champ today ........NO !
    too much Lennox and a few others that would have took him down

could Page drop batters with strike out today as he did in the negro league
    yes he was one powerhouse pitcher i think he would be a strikeout King today !

how many block shots would Bill Russell have if he played today
    let me say the way they come inside the paint he would have racked up
    more then Yoa Ming & Shaq & Morning put together he was a deep defender
    shot blocker inside the paint is like no score if he was on the court
    his total could be countless but very well up their.

Could the Big O" do it again the tripple double in today game ....YES !!
    i think he could and more then once the defense is soft , weak and sleep
    he would have ruled that as Magic did in his era

if you took old skool players the greats and sized them up to the new school
    great players the Old skool would win hands down ....why ! because the run and
    gun game wouldn't work with Russell, wilt, Big O" to name a few you wouldn't see
    a game like 150+ points it would be a lower score game with the
    OLD SKOOL on top these are true winners in heart the love for the game and
    awesome basketball players ......my thoughts not saying i'm right by a long shot
    to all this but this how i see it and feel peace

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Hello Brothers Rich & Kente417Mojo:

I didn't clarify this early, so let me be more specific. For the sake of arguement, let us consider anything 1985 or earlier to be "old school". Also by all means, don't limit the old schoolers to my original list. I say this mainly in response to Kente's Magic Johnson topic. I fully agree that Magic could lead the NBA in assist today. However I don't consider him to be an old school player, because he was still playing (and playing well) until 1992, when his career was cut short because of HIV.

To address some of what has been said, I think Ali might very well have beaten Lennox Lewis, because of his speed, and just general boxing ability. However, I disagree that Ali had the power to knock Lennox out. This would be a boxing match...a chess match...and I don't see anyone beating Ali in that game. About Lennox and Joe Louis though, as great as Louis was Lennox is just too big & powerful for him.

About the NBA!!! I think the defense of today's guys is under-rated, especially now that the zone is allowed. The old-schoolers might not have the free pass in today's NBA as some people think. However, one advantage the old timers had over today's NBA stars is shooting accuracy. These guys today are terrible shooters. The "hot" shooters in today's NBA only shoot 50%. Old school hot shooters literally didn't miss when they were open, and they didn't have to shoot 30 times a night to score 20 points.

I think Wilt would have been a super player today, but Shaq would give him problems. In addition if he played in the 90s when Hakeem, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, and Alonzo Mourning were around, he'd have a lot of competition, not like in the 60s where he only had Russell, or the 70s where he only had Kareem Abul Jabar.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    ok and my answers stand because JORDAN AND MAGIC JOHNSON ARE new schooler
    just greats upon the greats

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I would love to see Elgin Baylor in today's NBA

Michael Spinks against Roy Jones Jr. at Lt. Heavy

Matheew Saad Muhammed against Antonio Tarver

Jim Brown or OJ Simpson in today's NFL

Carlos Monzon against Bernard Hopkins

Earl Monroe in today's NBA

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Hey, PanAfrica, this is the quintessential question of the ages, and though we're speculating here, I have to say that most of the great players in baseball's bygone eras could probably compete in today's game... I say that because, unlike football and basketball, where cats have gotten so much bigger, faster, and BLACKER(SMILE!), baseball size and speed has rarely mattered... Remember Freddy Patek of the Kansas City Royals, like 5-foot-4 guy who hit a few homeruns in his time???

Pan, do you remember Willis Reed, George McGinniss, Wesley Unseld, Darryl Dawkins, Nate Thurmond, Connie Hawkins, Julius Erving, George Gervin, Larry Kenon, Marvin Barnes, Walt Frazier, Dan Issel, Super John Williamson, Rick Barry, Brian Taylor, Willie Wise, Moses Malone, Zelmo Beatty, Bob Lanier, Lonnie Shelton, Gus and Ray Williams, and many more???(smile!) These guys are all 1970's(Pre-'85 guys)players, and there aint one in the bunch couldn't play in today's game... Every last one of them were pure physical specimens, cats who could play rough inside, cats who had good height, and guys who actually created the template around which the game is played today...

It was Connie and Julius who started the whole soaring to the basket for the thunderous dunk, or elegant little finger rolls... They both had the huge hands, and could show cats the ball, cup it, and then throw it down with such cataclysmic thunda! Later George McGinniss and Chocolate Thunder, himself, Darryl Dawkins, started to utilize brute force and gentle athleticism in a great versatile mix that presaged the Shaquille O'Neal's of the world... Captain Willis Reed, of the New York Knicks, played center on those championship teams of the '70's, but at 6-foot-9, he could not play center in today's game - nor for that matter could Bill Russel or Wesley Unseld(6-foot-7)... But those guys, Reed and Unseld, were such monsters, such physical specimens, with feathery jumpers, that they could EASILY compete, and dominate at power forward in today's game... Walt(Clyde)Frazier, at 6-foot-4 was one of the taller guards in the game at the time, and as a point guard he could play in today's game... If Gary Payton can play in today's game, so could Clyde, because Clyde was one of game's great defenders, and was a much, much better shooter and passer than The Glove... Plus Clyde had to Guard the Jerry West's and Oscar Robertson's of the World, as well as the man who'd later become his teammate, Earl "The PEARL" Monroe... True, Clyde had mad difficulty when it came to guarding ESPN's Freddy "MadDog" Carter, Kevin Porter, and the great Nate "Tiny" Archibald, because they were so mad quick, but put him on the big boys, cat's his size, and he was devastating! Ask Jerry West(hahaha!) 36 points, 18 assists, and 7 steals in the 7th game of the NBA Finals in 1970... I think that compares to Magic's 42 points, 20 rebounds, and 7 assists 8 years later...

Bruhman, I could go on interminably with the basketball, but I wont bore you with that... Moving over to Football, man, aint no way these 250-pound lineman of that era could compete with the Reggie White's and Bruce Smith's of the world - no freakin' kinda way!!!! I remember Reggie taking Tony Mandarich, that 300-pound all-world flop at Left tackle, and flinging him aside like he was a little boy, and I just shook my head, man... Imagine being so doggone strong you can take a cat who weighs 300-pounds, and with one hand you just erase the cat...

Reggie White was a nightmare for any offensive lineman who ever lived, man!!! He's the greatest lineman ever laced up a pair of cleats in my opinion, and I've seen quite a few players, including Deacon, Bruce, Bubba Smith, Bob Lilly, Alan Page, Carl Eller, Buck Buchannon, Curley Culp, Elvin Bethea, Ben Davidson, L.C. GreenWood, and Reggie's only competition at linemen, I think, Mean Joe Greene... Mean Joe, also, had that kind of crazy strength, quickness, and attitude that stands out in your mind... Whew, them cats was scary, man...

How can the old linebackers match up against L.T. in his prime????????(smile!) This guy was one of the meanest, fastest, biggest, scariest brothers at his position in the game's history... Fuggedaboutit!!!(smile!) He's the template for the Derrick Smith's(God Rest his Soul), Greg Lloyd's, and Ray Ray of the Ravens... I also dug Ray Ray's colleague Jamie(names are escaping me for some reason!), and my main, Derrick Brooks of the Tampa Bay Bucs... These cats are so big, and so freakin' fast that even the O.J.'s and Jim Brown's would not be able to run away from them... I don't dig O.J. as a person, but this guy was so big, fast, and elusive as player that he could compete in any era - no doubt... Same with Jimmy B., no question that at his size and speed, he would dominate just like he did in the 60's... If little cats like Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith and LaDamian can dominate as they do now, so could some big brothers, like Jim and Orenthal James - no doubt... Yo' there's no substitute for speed, and them cats had that in abundance... Combine the speed and the size, and you get Bo Jackson, who put that boy Bosworth in the hospital one Monday night.. Yo' Sun, you don't know Bo??? Now, ya know so-and-so!

Great Athletes are great athletes, but I think size and speed are tangible elements in determining whether a guy could compete in any era... Of course, ungodly talent is the other great determinant, as well... Could Isiah Thomas have competed in the '50's and '60's with his talent, or would his size have been a liability??? Absolutely a Rhetorical question, as it is for all of the above-mentioned cats, and a whole bunch a folks I didn't name whom I think would be stars in today's game... Only football, I think, is a sport where cats would have to come with real major changes in their speed and body structure to compete with these monsters today...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Brother Isaiah, thanks for not letting this thread die!! I agree that many of yesterday's sports greats could be great today. I practically back your entire post except one comment: Willis Reed might be able to play center today, even though he was only 6'9". After all Ben Wallace is the same height and he has led the NBA in blocked shots & rebounds (and just won the NBA title). Alonzo Mourning also was a fierce center despite being undersized. Of course Charles Barkley was a short power forward (listed as 6'6", but most players said he was only 6'4"), but outplayed everyone he was matched against.

It is ironic that this topic would come back up, because just last night I was watching a Larry Holmes interview on ESPN. He feels that no boxer today could have competed in the 80s. In particular he said Lennox Lewis would have been unknown in his era (which I feel is harsh, and untrue). Larry Holmes is truly one of the greats, and probably could be champion today. However he reigned in an era of soft competition. Much of the criticism he placed against Lennox was said of him 20 years ago. It is interesting how history repeats.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Let me list 3 sports greats who I don't think could compete in today's world:

1. Babe Ruth (Yankees)
    2. George Michan (Lakers)
    3. Rocky Marciano (Boxing)

I think all of these men benefitted from soft competition. In today's sports world they would be undersized and unable to dominate. They might be decent, but they wouldn't be legends.

10. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks isaiah

wow! Isaiah, u really took me back bro! tht wuz an outstanding post, which took me far, far slong n a stroll through memory lane, sports wise.

i wasn't familiar w all the names u mentioned, but i was w most of them. i don't think i could rememba any1 u didn't mention. u really kno ur sports. thanks 4 that. :shades: