Black People : What features would you most like to see?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kemetkind, Apr 30, 2006.

1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    What ideas/suggestions do the Destee Family have for improving the site?

A periodic self-review is always good.

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    A. A vent forum

B. A Member of the Month/Congratulation forum

C. A definite "yes" or "no" regarding the reunion

There are many great amenities on this forum:)

3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I'll put in mine...I'd love it if we could figure a way to get Chess implemented.

Also the "platinum threads" forum showcasing some of Destee.com's best discussions would add lot of value and should be easy to do.

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    In my opinion, finding ways to get members who share certain views to network better within the site. If Destee decides to do that[/B], it would be because there are DIFFERENT viewpoints that some feel contribute to black progress that if shared among the group cause too many issues, (in my opinion). The keyword is contribute to black progress... WE ALL know collectively which ones don't, so those are not the ones being considered at least by me. We're talking about ones that particularly established members have shared that a few others agree with but are still controversial. Separate threads for those viewpoints could be done within the site, and if members aren't partial to it, don't visit it. You can't stop them, but at least they would know ahead of time who and what are going to be in those threads.

For the record, this would not include the boards already in place such as Panafricanism that most already agree on. There might be other things mentioned from a VARIETY of stances that could fit into these categories.

5. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6

I second what you're suggesting. I agree that different forums for different mindsets would enhance the site because there's too much heat between opposing mindsets. For ex. I was involved in the Beethoven thread the other day and there was so much heat between the nationalists, for example, on here and those who are more mainstream in their views about a topic like that until much was lost. Both viewpoints are thought-provoking and provide valuable insight, but they clash so quickly when they try to discuss a topic like that till neither side is heard well enough and important information falls by the wayside.

Separate mindset forums would prevent that because for ex. a more mainstream person need not enter the nationalists forum and vice versa unless each wants to do so.

6. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    The ultimate decision for changes lies in the hand of the CEO of this site.....Ms. Destee herself. :) However, whatever changes proposed would still have to line up with the site goal.....just food for thought.

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Agreed, Blaklioness.

8. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I would like to add to Sister Blaklioness comment, also there is a premium members forums, yet it's rarely utilized. Perhaps interested premium members might consider using it to established like viewpoints. (just a little something to consider.)

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Good question, Brother Special K.!

I agree with you, that we should highlight PLATINUM THREADS in each forum, the criteria being more than 200 posts to that thread... It allows new members, as well as the old, to address particularly profound discussions, and respects the fact that so much energy and intelligence does not pass off into the ether as if nothing happened of any significance from any other thread... Many powerful points and ideas are expressed in such threads, as people are forced to think, and we should respect our ability to offer profound THOUGHTS whenever, and wherever we can...

We should have, either, a HISTORY FORUM, where OUR HISTORY can be addressed, or a combining of the present forums so that our history can be seen as being more than a continuum of our past, but our present, as well. At present, I don't believe the Honoring the Ancestors forum adequately fulfills that role, and I will explain my reasoning...

My reasoning behind, say, combining the CULTURE forum with the Pan-African or History forum, is two-fold... For one, the Honoring The Ancestors forum does not adquately address our history, nor does the Culture or Pan African Forum, because not all of our Historical figures are ANCESTORS... Many, such as my hero, the Reverend Fred Lee Shuttlesworth, are still living, and still doing great work into his 80's... His legacy, and his continuing activism, should be made manifest to our younger people, as well as the elders among us. Recently, I saw Madame Myrlie Evers at the college,here in my city, named after her husband, who is an ancestor. I thought it would be nice to say something about she and Medgar, and their struggle, but I found the Ancetors forum inappropriate to address her and her husband together, and the Open forum a vacuous place to address something so very important to us all...

Finally, I have talked to our brothers Dusty Elbow and I-Khan about including things like Black China, and other historical data in the Culture forum without providing PROOF POSITIVE that it relates to things AFRICAN... I believe the data to be more Pan African historical than cultural, though to state ALL of the reasons for that would require a paper which I do not have time nor energy to prepare. I do know, however, that when we cannot find in China or India any proof of cultural retentions from Africa, as we can find throughout the so-called New World, then it does not meet the original standard set for the forum... I do believe the brothers are presenting valuable information, however, and that is why I would urge the institution of a proper and respectful forum for the information they are presenting...

Thirdly, I would like to see our MEN'S and WOMEN'S FORUMS combined, so that we can, at least, symbolically begin the process of CONVERSING WITH ONE ANOTHER, with no secrets with held, rather than talking AT one another as if we are opposing armies entering past lines of demarcation, and into enemy territory... Sometimes less is more, and more is less...

Lastly, I remember a time when we had a White Guy up in here named RAIN
    or THUNDER, or whatever act of nature his name was, and he was asked to leave by a number of members, including some moderators... It got so thick, that we did a poll on whether the guy should leave of stay, and y'all all know what the verdict was... He gone... I want to know what happened to that process??? I want to know why Sister Cursed Heart is no longer here with us, and why she was not given the benefit of a doubt this White Guy was given??? I want to know because I am not a fan of banning people... I cannot see what she did... I cannot see where any patience was extended, or that a process of mediation was pursued... Perhaps, It was, and I didn't see it, but as she was a PREMIUM MEMBER I am wondering how this can happen without full transparency... I say this because, for one, it looks rather shady to a potential new premium member, and secondly, with the community needing those new and old premium members, it seems like cutting off the nose to spite one's face - jmho...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I would also like to see that BUSINESS & INVESTEMNTS FORUM be put up at the top of this board... It seems to be buried underneath all the recipes that are killing our people... How about us focusing our attention on some things that will uplift us, rather than send us to an early grave???

Peace!
    Isaiah