Black Entertainment : What Ever Happened to Hip-Hop?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by MsInterpret, Jun 13, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447

Documentary from Sonali Aggarwal: Starring Afrika Bambaataa, KRS-ONE, Busy Bee, Kool Keith, MC Lyte, Slick Rick, Jean Grae, Gemini and other notable people being part of the Hip Hop movement. It began with the beat of the drum. With the beat, came a voice for those without one. From this voice, came a movement. Overcoming the odds, the originators of Hip Hop took their music from block parties of New York City streets to world wide radio waves. During the early years, the music and message reached new heights by exploring humanity, politics, and street life, while keeping it real and having fun. But what ever happened to Hip Hop? Currently the most pervasive music worldwide, its roots have been forgotten, its message perverted. With Hip Hop in the spotlight, it's time to put it back on track. This documentary presents views from Hip Hop founders, contributors, and artists in an attempt to return its audience to the four principles: Peace, Unity, Love & Having Fun

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    A lot of things happened and I will check the video later. Notice it's mostly an East Cosst crew so before one of their homies come in with that westcoast-gangst rap-destroying hip hop f-cptown beef don't forget about this.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_La_Rock

What happened to Scott LaRock? Remember the fights over Ms Melodee? KRS and who?

Its kind contradictory to place blame on NWA or Ice T (who by the way is from Jerzee!), while at the same time the "most conscious rapper" is turning out an lp entitled "Criminal Minded" ( dug the hell outuvitmyself!)

So, what happened was the good time hip hop also took the DJ from the main show to the backup role to a host of whack mc's some of whom lost that edge and flava when they went solo.

Oh and sister I'm not talking about you so don't take it personal. Just answering the OPP...(you know me..)

3. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Yes, watch the video.

4. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Great video. I like what the brother said at around 16:35, that 3 major record companies controlled 95% of record distribution. A virtual death sentence.

Hip Hop was never meant to go commercial. Once it did it was a matter time before it lost its' origin.
    What happened to hip hop? The same thing that always happens. If the internet started to show some form of matrix defiance, watch what happens to the internet.

The problem was never hip hop. It's the content of peoples' minds that is the problem. The killing off of hip hop's origin along with the dumbing down effect didn't help either IMO.

I'm just glad I was around to witness the beginning. (before rap records, when it was DJ and MC in the park or club) Hopefully rap/hip hop can one day return to it's origin. Peace, Love, Unity, AND HAVING FUN!

Hip hop wasn't started so young people could tell stories about the streets in rhyme, it was made to get away from that reality for a couple of hours. Just as Afrika Bambaataa said he made gangs party together in the Bronx, that's what true hip hop is about getting together and having fun. It's not about how many ****** you can kill, how much dope you can sell, or how many ******* you got.

Hip Hop was never meant to be angry. It was meant to destroy anger. At least the anger towards each other and direct it to where it needed to the be. Towards the people and/or things trying to destroy us.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    You make a good point. Scott La Rock situation was terrible. But remember in 1986 rap was still fairly commercially new and didn't have the anger stigma attached yet.

6. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    The reason why I started this thread was because I was actually on some site that was talking about this euro garbage rapping white chick...and all these black folks was talking about how great she was...So I decided to check out what all the hoop-la was about and Youtube'd her.
    I lost 60 seconds of my life that I will regrettably never get back...and then a little piece of my soul died...
    And anyways, I'm a huge Nas fan (at least I think I am...or was) and in this article was Nas partying with the white woman "rapper"...And he had one of those confederate soldier hats on...

Anyways here is the picture.

[​IMG]

Then I said.....But Nas?? What about this song?? Did you have a hand in killing hip-hop?

7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    PBS did an excellent documentary on Hip Hop. It was done on their Independent Lens series. I posted it somewhere here. I think in the entertainment forum.

As was stated earlier, the genre started on the streets. While it started making money, white corporate took it over and forced anyone that wanted to make money to make stereotyped trash. Thus the myth that you don't need some semblance of an education to do it successfully. They did the same thing to it, they tried to do the R&B. Like today, only white artists here are putting our R&B successfully. This is our fault. Because we, largely the young, bought this garbage. However, in that the largest consumer of hip hop are white kids, this was easy to do. Moreover, we bootleg many of our own artists to death. So, they are forced to toe the corporate line to make money. The street has to take our genres back. Else, like jazz, blues and rock and roll, it will be stolen from us

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Yeah bro. Of course you right. I was just taking digs and at the same time remembered that name.

I agree with about 100% of the video that I watched. I hated that Lollipop joint when it came out as I spent a lot of time on the road then and from ATL to Vegas it dominated the airwaves until I finally got to Vegas and heard some PAC.

The kulture changed. From the message to the bling. But the video lost me because look how Kanye got turned out and became Kimye. Smh....

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Is that Iggy A or another one?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iggy_Azalea

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist