Black People : What does this video tell you about the function and direction of the Hip-Hop industry?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Oct 30, 2014.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    This is Bobby Smurder performing for execs before he was signed.

they put him on..

and gave this kid his steelo..

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
  3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic

[​IMG]

I've been around long enough to live through several Hip-Hop State of Emergencys. Vanilla Ice was the worst thing to happen to hip-hop since forever, and he was, but hip-hop soldiered on. And then it was the rise of gangsta rap, and the rise of ringtone rap, and then some Nas album, then Soulja Boy, then Lil B, then some other stuff, then Soulja Boy again, and on and on into rap infinity. Of course, through all of these signs of the apocalypsem hip-hop has kept right on turning out roughly the same proportion of wackness to dopeness it always has, but since when did a little perspective stop a doomsayer from doomsaying?

So yes, I'm very aware that Bobby Shmurda, no matter how amazing or terrible he might be, won't really change hip-hop for the better or worse, because no one rapper has that much power. But....it's still hard not to see the shmeteroic, internet-fueled, rise of the Brooklyn rapper as a sign of some very shaky times in hip-hop. (Or, more accurately, very shaky times in the shmusic industry, to the extent that the larger shmusic industry and hip-hop are intertwined.)

First, a quick recap for those who are new to the world of Bobby Shmurda, and frankly, just about everyone who doesn't know him personally is pretty new to the world of Bobby Shmurda. I have to believe he's been at rapping far longer, but before March of 2014, there's almost no sign of him on the internet; the first real anything I can track down with his name attached is this YouTube song from January.

And then he dropped "Hot *****," and everything changed...

Read entire article here:
    http://www.djbooth.net/index/news/entry/bobby-shmurda-worst-thing-to-happen-ever

I ponder how quickly Epic (from MJ to Shmurder) would have picked him up if one of his songs used a line similar to "put a

Youtube is rapidly removing any material that shows how the Epic execs were salivating over their new cash cow, even can see the red head in the background bobbing her head while Bobby raps about putting a cap into someone's chin.

Shminstrel Show? Should We Feel Sorry For Bobby Shmurda?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://allhiphop.com/2014/10/29/shminstrel-show-should-we-feel-sorry-for-bobby-shmurda/

http://revolt.tv/video/yo-gotti-champions-bobby-shmurda-epic-records-deal

Now I realize why Showtime at the Apollo had to go away, because he would have never lasted 10 seconds before the "Womp Womp" came out.

How come LA did just give him a job in the industry, if he is really thinking he is helping this young soldier?

Epic under L.A. Reid and Sylvia Rhone

In July 2011, L.A. Reid became the CEO of the Epic Records which also includes various former Jive Records artists. Reid has already begun a new "era" in signing artists, having signed up YouTube sensation Karmin. Through Sony Music Entertainment's restructuring, artists such as TLC, Toni Braxton, Avril Lavigne, Outkast, Future, Yo Gotti and Ciara have joined Epic. Epic also signs the winners of The X Factor.

[​IMG]

It was confirmed in February 2012 that Sylvia Rhone, former president of Universal Motown, would be launching a new record label through Epic Records.

As of April 2014, Epic Records was home to 51 artists.

L.A. Reid was reportedly interested into signing Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, but both turned down Epic, saying that they were happy releasing material independently.

On March 18, 2014, it was reported that Sylvia Rhone would be president of Epic Records accompanying CEO L.A. Reid. Rhone was formerly CEO of Universal Motown Records until 2011.

Rhone has overseen a roster of artists in the Universal Motown lineup including Lil Wayne and the Cash Money artists Nicki Minaj, Drake, Kid Cudi, Nelly, Melanie Fiona, Akon, Erykah Badu, and Stevie Wonder.

Epic Artists:

Artists

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
  5. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Let's see how many hidden messages we can find in that image...

Beginning with the base image:

[​IMG]

Again, Michael Jackson and Bobby Shmurder are entities under the oversight of Epic and LA Reid.

MJ and Shmurder on the same label

The year 2000 marked the decline of art and the incline of viral tech.
    The Y2K bug was essentially the injection of viral agents into the population, (Bill Gates, ahem).

Actors of this scenario were sometimes referred to as the Millennium Group

The Millennium Group is a fictional secret society featured in the crime thriller television series Millennium. Having begun life as a Christian sect at the end of the 1st century AD, the Group grew into a far-reaching network which, as the 3rd millennium approached, presented itself as a private investigative firm liaising with law enforcement organizations. Despite being fraught with internal schisms, the Group tried on several occasions to artificially instigate the end of the world as the year 2000 approached.

[​IMG]

The spin-off of the X-Files was basically a flop, lasted for 3 seasons but attempts to create a movie are still on-going

"The Group tried on several occasions to artificially instigate the end of the world"

That just seems like a generally broad way of saying, reducing the population through various means.

Reflecting on a song from Prince that came out October 27, 1982

Sony runs a good portion of the "Music" today

Labels
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Invincible (Michael's last album) was released in 2001

And Michael Jackson bested them in 2002, after the Millennium

"I just owe Sony one more album."
    "I'm leaving Sony a free agent, owning half of Sony."
    "I own half of Sony's publishing and they are very angry with me"

This Is It was a planned residency show of fifty concerts by Michael Jackson to be held at The O2 Arena in London. They were scheduled to begin in July 2009 and continue through to March 2010.

On June 25, 2009, Jackson died while in his bed at his rented mansion at 100 North Carolwood Drive in the Holmby Hills district of Los Angeles.

MJ died before he could release his last owed album to Sony/Epic

"This Is It" was to be the springboard tour for his last album, and freedom as well as majority ownership of Sony Records.

Sony announced that they had extended their relationship with his material. The distribution rights held by Sony Music were due to expire in 2015. On March 16, 2010, Sony Music Entertainment, in a move spearheaded by its Columbia/Epic Label Group division, signed a new deal with the Jackson estate to extend their distribution rights to his back catalogue until at least 2017, as well as to obtain permission to release ten new albums with previously unreleased material and new collections of released work.

[​IMG]

Stay connected

6. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    have not followed pop in many years, lol Bobby Shmurda is eerily similar to this rapper....lol

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398

he even looks like peanut....

8. SuperCerebralgal

SuperCerebralgal Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +43
    V.O.R (Victim of Racism)

One of these days I'm going to make a thread about V.O.R. and how I don't believe shaming them is going to make our situation any better

He's not the worst thing to ever happen to Black music btw... the White fanbase is the worst thing to ever happen to Black music

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    true, but he is the one writing and performing about "shooting nig;;#s" in the head, not the white fan base. i'm not condemning some young dude for getting his paper, however with today's climate if you're rapping about killing "nig%$s" and not pigs then you deserve criticism. btw these are the young people who will rob and steal from other blacks,will kill a black person as their music suggests. personally i have no love for these black nazzis.

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace

A modern day pic-nic.

Pic-a-*****

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List