Black History Culture : What does it mean to be BLACK

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by BioRhythm, May 21, 2005.

1. BioRhythm

BioRhythm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I think we have all heard the lines.... He doesn't count he isn't black...." but what do you mean?", he ain't black that dude is white.... what does a person have to act like to be considered a part of our culture? I have never fit in anywhere.. not with my people or with the other races.... so what i be considered. but of course i am completely african accept for some minor influences in the distant past.... but seriously... why does a person have to act a certain to be considered one of us.... I have been outcast from every race. No one accepts me into their circle... If my own community won't accept me and others.... than who will? pt 2 comming soon... my definition of being BLACK..!!!!!

2. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    people in the media today consider it to be sports rap or slickness man if your black and have none of those people dont' think you are man and it's stupid to do that

3. FromTheHip

FromTheHip Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    To hell with the critics and all the ni**az talkin' sh*t. Do your own thing, cuz.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    why is that?

5. Bluewater

Bluewater Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Praising The Lord
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi BioRhythm
    Yes you are right
    we have all heard it at least once
    "He doesn't count"
    To me it is all in the system
    of brain washing and control
    fill with doubts
    and many question

I always felt Black is a Culture

The system want to catalog
    itemize, and keep US divided.
    Enforcing what we see on TV
    hear in the Music
    Read in the newspaper
    and taught in school
    Limiting our thoughts
    to what they want US to think
    and believe,
    bringing on that feeling "You're less then"
    So they can feel "More then"
    And some of our Brothers and Sisters don't see it
    Or even feel it

In the end
    We are all of the flesh
    and the blood flows the same
    When we're cut.
    But that is to simple.
    (because of the lack of education of US they are limited)
    Looking forward to reading your part 2

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685
    BioRhythm ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

I think that being Black simply means that your people are from Africa.

I also think that the confusion, or challenge to fit in with each other, comes when we believe that on top of that ... our people being from Africa ... that we must all be the same ... and of course we are not.

We are individuals, and as such, will vary one from the other in many aspects.

Rather than trying to make each other be the same, we should embrace our differences ... they make us richer!

Well ... that's my 2 cent.

I too look forward to part no. 2.

Please make yourself at home, because you are.

:heart:

Destee

7. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Originally Posted by BioRhythm
    In order for the rest of society (and even some of our own people) to accept us as "black", we have to live up to the media's portrayal of our character; when we know in fact that not everyone black individual is that way. Personally, I think they use that as a buffer between us and the rest of the races. To try to downplay our oppression and the blatant neglect of our race. But we expirence everyday the fact that we are not wanted. I get the impression that you feel this way because who you really are, and what everyone else wants you to be is conflicting. If this is the case, maybe you should refer to the thread " Do intelligent Brothas Feel alone?" in the Black Warriors sub-section. Some very good points are brought up. MAybe they may help some?

8. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    In order for the rest of society (and even some of our own people) to accept us as "black", we have to live up to the media's portrayal of our character; when we know in fact that not everyone black individual is that way.

Well put, and I totally agree.

As a man who has evolved/changed myself many times over the years I've learned better than to lable certain traits, characteristics, and behaviors as "black".

It only serves to further divide and alienate those in our community.

Plus, it seems to trap too many of us in negative stereotypes that we feel the need to imitate in order to satisfy other's expectations of us.

Some bruthaz join a street gang because it's the "black" thing to do.

Some bruthaz hang out and drink malt-liquor because it's the "black" thing to do.

Some of us are constantly late all the time and call it "Colored People" time.

We are incorporating self-destructive behavior into our culture.

9. FromTheHip

FromTheHip Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    "WE ARE ALL AFRICANS!!!!"

Have you looked in the mirror lately?

10. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Excuse me I'm 19 and I would like to comment on this forgive me if I sound ignorant or stupid I'm still learing,lol. I feel that the reason the word is ever changing because it has its roots nowhere in land culture and most of all history for our people Its dehumanizing to be referred to as a noun as if we are objects the real use of the word is so that we will be as a parallel world to the European. A car is black, a cat is black, a skillet is black but those are all objects we are human beings we would be better off calling ourselves by another name like an African one or something.

The reason that they can take Egypt and say that it wasn't a black nation is because they have taken all the dark skin nations and called them one at the same time destroying records of each individual dark or black nation's achievements, this is what I feel that with statistics about the black on black crime,racial profiling, and stereotyping they say we are too unimportant to be considered as individuals therefore nations like Egypt couldn't have been a dark or black one. When you take away what makes an individual unique you make him/her an animal simple as that. Names give meanings and as whole with the meaning of black ever chang among whites and us you begin to understand why I see people with names like Jau'Quesha, Taneka, and Laquinta. People when they find out what there names mean they begin to act like the meaning there of, My nickname use to be Big Boy before my voice changed so thats what I acted like, and my conclusion that if your name doesn't mean anything as a people or individual your life means nothing. We must find a name that was not given to us by him.

Remember I'm 19 and I just couldn't find an interesting topic on the Teenage Forum so please be nice to me and excuse my bad grammar and punctuation I'm still learning it also.