Black People : What does it mean to "Act Black"?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sangofa, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Sangofa

Sangofa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    When a person says "acting black" what in the world are they referring to?

2. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    The "white" world predictably has attached a negative connotation to "acting Black". With that said, I couldn't care less about the tricknology that they put forth. Is it possible that "acting Black" means acting like the gods and goddesses we are? I don't know, it's just a thought.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Good Thought, Chucky! We are who we are, and thank God for that - whateva is meant by "acting Black..." As for me, I just BE BLACK, 'cause that's who I am(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Smurfette

Smurfette Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I think

African Americans (not all of us), that are in the "hood, ghettos, projects" have it stapled in their heads that African Americans have to be rowdy, they have to sell drugs, they have to use the N word about 3 times in every sentence, they have to disrespect females, whites, others, they think that they have to live an extreme life or else they would not amount to anything. Just because you live in the hood, you dont have to subject yourselves to that type of lifestyle, but like we see in many movies, music videos, we see how all these girls shaking their tailfeathers around, and the men running from the police, or selling drugs, and its like some African Americans play follow the leader and think just because Fifty Cent got shot up nine times, they should do the same. Did you ever think about it like this, just like they say "she acting all white", I feel as though, some feel like we should be placed under neath the whites like we have a place and we have to stay in it. I think that the only reason for that is because many arent used to change, they are satisfied as they are, acting like they have no mind, thats why we are placed last on the Presidents to do list, because we are not fighting for ourselves, we dont care, we give them a reason to look at us like with such shame,we live for today not tommorow we always blame the white man for this and that, but what have you, yourself done for the black community to grow and advance? Im not sure if everyone on here is familar with the aboriganie culture, native people of Australia who probably came from somewhere in Asia more than 40,000 years ago. Australian population as a whole and slightly more than the estimated aboriginal population of 350,000 at the time there were 500–600 distinct groups of aborigines speaking about 200 different languages or dialects (at least 50 of which are now extinct). Like our African Americans we speak many languages right? We came from many groups right? White leaders took aborigine children from their homes, and made them work, they wanted to turn these children to be more like them and erase their existence. I suggest that everyone take some time out and research this. For this is enough reason for me to try for my black people. I think our race is beautiful and I would not like to see it become extinct. I think I flew way off topic, I apologize

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    acting black is how black people act

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    like ya statement smurfette on point !

acting black .....

7. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well I don’t know about this term. "Acting black"
    But seems to be a lot of folks try to imitate us

But anyway…
    Let them mimic shoot.. our style is your own..
    that can never be taken away.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    ya right sistah i don't really know how acting black be when i'm being me
    but i have heard the term before and what someone stated it to be ......
    which is false to me , you made a point

9. define

define Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't really want to answering this question, but I do want to respond to Smurfette.

This is where I have to respond to you. I can't stand commerical rap with the women in the videos and the selling of drugs, etc. But you can not say the Blacks in the hood think "they should do the same" as what they see in this video. To honest, before rap was on t.v. and on the radio, people sold drugs in the hood to survive. Don't make music the scapegoat of the conditions that Black people live it. That's just a typical conservative republican arguement. And when some rappers (Not 50, Ja Rule, or those commercial rappers) say something like he's running from the police or selling drugs, he his reporting the conditions of the Black community, not glorifying it. He is reporting just like any journalist or novelist. And Black people like that, because they can relate to language and perspective of the reporting. Unlike watching CNN (Who a former reported wanted me to be an intern for because they had no idea about Tupac and Biggie due to their ignorant of Black people) and Fox, which lack the true knowledge about the Black community.

WE? That is a very broad statement. I fight for my community all of the time. I and many others do care. And you failed to specify the "Reason" we are looked at in shame. And yes, the "white man" (which is a horrible reference toward the wealthy power hungry rich autority in our country, not all white men) has done a lot to hold Blacks back. We are not put last on the President's "to do list" because of our actions. It was the government in the first place who molded us to act this way. They expect us to act this one. We are put on the back burner because of racism. It wasn't long ago that segregation was still legal. Racism is still occuring today. So don't blame racism on the actions of Blacks. It's kind of hard to "advance" your community when you are trying to survive. That isn't the priority when you have to work 2 jobs and take care of children at the same time all because the government failed to provide adequate high schools in Black communities.

I SUGGEST RENTING THE MOVE "RABBIT PROOF FENCE" IF YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE OF THIS!!!

10. Smurfette

Smurfette Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Response

Ive seen the movie more than enough times, I love that movie with molly and mr. neville, yea that movie was good, but okay, videos and the media I can not say they directly tell African American communities what to do, how to act, or anything, but they give ideas. If they dont than how can you explain little boys carrying pistols, b-hopping up and down town, the little girls block hugging? There has to be more to blame than the usual "parents". You send your kids to school now a day and they come back grown, and who is to blame. More than just the parents. Now a days I see so many things have changed and I am only 17, since 2000 I have seen so many of my brothers die from stupidity. When that Camron song came out I think it was called "Hey ma", the one with the blood hopping around with one leg. I cant even count how many brothers I saw get all rowdy and amped up when that song came out B hopping left and right, now Camron has that new song out Certified Gangsters, do I even need to begin with that? They throwing up Brim all in the t.v. screen, now a little boy does that in the streets his life is over, the way everyone is so big on this gang violence. THE MEDIA, HAS A BIG IMPACT ON LIVES. When i say subjecting oneself to the "hood lifestyle" true indeed you know right from wrong, right, so how come 80% of african americans in the hood never seem to excel? Taking a piss on someones lawn when your house is just down the street is hood...Hanging on street signs is hood...on lookers see this type of behavior and call it Niggerish, being black, they think that is what black people do. They only judge by what they see, and thats why I said earlier we give them a reason to say things such as "acting black". I personally believe that we are placed last on the Presidents "to do" list, and I do blame how we act as a whole. We dont show that we want more. In the last month two neighboring towns Irvington and Newark, has had more than 20 deaths, all African Americans, why should someone care about a race that doesnt care about itself, killing off each other time by time, we might as well be the last thing the President should do we helping him out, we already killing each other, we aren't progressing. Racism is always going to be around, no doubt about that, but we dont have to accept it. We got to survive, we got to help each other grow, the generation that will be deciding your retirement plan and health insurance is in great danger, the boys are growing up to be violent, the girls growing up to be prostitues. We are looked at in shame because we dont care about how we are percieved, no disrespect to my black people this is just an example if you walk trough a ghetto and you might have a bottle in your hand or a bag, you see a house with garbage all in front of the house your going to throw your bottle or bag there to right, if we act like we are garbage destroying our minds, our health, bodis, souls, beliefs, than we are just going to contiue to be undervalued and get served less than we deserve.