Black People : What does it mean to "Act Black"?

Sangofa said:
What does Acting Black exactly mean? I was in a Puerto Rican forum and one of the members said that Tego Calderon a famous reggatone artist is trying to "act black". I really hate the term and I see it as a stereotype. When a person says "acting black" what in the world are they referring to?

The "white" world predictably has attached a negative connotation to "acting Black". With that said, I couldn't care less about the tricknology that they put forth. Is it possible that "acting Black" means acting like the gods and goddesses we are? I don't know, it's just a thought.

I think

African Americans (not all of us), that are in the "hood, ghettos, projects" have it stapled in their heads that African Americans have to be rowdy, they have to sell drugs, they have to use the N word about 3 times in every sentence, they have to disrespect females, whites, others, they think that they have to live an extreme life or else they would not amount to anything. Just because you live in the hood, you dont have to subject yourselves to that type of lifestyle, but like we see in many movies, music videos, we see how all these girls shaking their tailfeathers around, and the men running from the police, or selling drugs, and its like some African Americans play follow the leader and think just because Fifty Cent got shot up nine times, they should do the same. Did you ever think about it like this, just like they say "she acting all white", I feel as though, some feel like we should be placed under neath the whites like we have a place and we have to stay in it. I think that the only reason for that is because many arent used to change, they are satisfied as they are, acting like they have no mind, thats why we are placed last on the Presidents to do list, because we are not fighting for ourselves, we dont care, we give them a reason to look at us like with such shame,we live for today not tommorow we always blame the white man for this and that, but what have you, yourself done for the black community to grow and advance? Im not sure if everyone on here is familar with the aboriganie culture, native people of Australia who probably came from somewhere in Asia more than 40,000 years ago. Australian population as a whole and slightly more than the estimated aboriginal population of 350,000 at the time there were 500–600 distinct groups of aborigines speaking about 200 different languages or dialects (at least 50 of which are now extinct). Like our African Americans we speak many languages right? We came from many groups right? White leaders took aborigine children from their homes, and made them work, they wanted to turn these children to be more like them and erase their existence. I suggest that everyone take some time out and research this. For this is enough reason for me to try for my black people. I think our race is beautiful and I would not like to see it become extinct. I think I flew way off topic, I apologize

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back