Black People : What Does Conscious Mean - When We're All Dependent On Others?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

What Does Conscious Mean - When We're All Dependent On Others?

Black People in America depend on white people to provide their food, lights, gas, and water ... life necessities.

But we will QUICKLY jump on another Sister or Brother ... talking about how blind, lost, and pitiful they are ... when you are just as bound.

How can we do this to each other?

What drives us to think we are better than another Sister or Brother, when you gotta go to the same white folk for life necessities?!

What else but the dynamic of white supremacy ... the great force that pushes us to damage each other ... can explain this phenomena?

How can one drape themselves in "consciousness" ... be better than another ... when they are just as subject to white supremacy racism, as the rest of us?!

Please help me understand.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

This is an interesting question because it requires people to go to realms they may not be comfortable with. I don't think everyone who labels themselves as "conscious" actually is, and I'm also not sure that those who actually are (or are working on it) see themselves as better. This takes me back to the spirit of what I shared in the other thread, so maybe a concrete example might work. Suppose you (general) had spent years on drugs and have come to understand the behavior as problematic. You decide to seriously dissect the issue that caused the addiction in the first place and cleaned out your system. You are serious about your recovery and have no intention of going backwards regardless of how much outside pressure to do so is there. Would it be advisable to spend time hanging with active drug addicts---those who may not see the behavior as problematic and most certainly have no intention of leaving the lifestyle? Do you think you are better because you may speak out against it and choose not to be around those who continue to be ok with it? Now, you may make yourself available if you see that they may sincerely want to come out of it, but you don't reassociate yourself with it, otherwise you may fall back into the cycle of destruction.

Now, say for instance, you were never on drugs but know someone who is. How would you approach that person? Do you feel if you say something to him or her that you are being judgemental? If you don't say anything to them or you create an environment of comfort and tolerance around the habit, wouldn't that make you an enabler of the behavior since you aren't doing anything to intervene? Is it loving NOT to speak on the behavior when you know it to be destructive?

Just some things to ponder I suppose...

For the record, I do understand what you mean (or implied)---being arrogant is never a good thing.

Peace and Blessings Family,

What Does Conscious Mean - When We're All Dependent On Others?

Black People in America depend on white people to provide their food, lights, gas, and water ... life necessities.

But we will QUICKLY jump on another Sister or Brother ... talking about how blind, lost, and pitiful they are ... when you are just as bound.

How can we do this to each other?

What drives us to think we are better than another Sister or Brother, when you gotta go to the same white folk for life necessities?!

What else but the dynamic of white supremacy ... the great force that pushes us to damage each other ... can explain this phenomena?

How can one drape themselves in "consciousness" ... be better than another ... when they are just as subject to white supremacy racism, as the rest of us?!

Please help me understand.

Thanks in advance.

Destee

This is an interesting question because it requires people to go to realms they may not be comfortable with. I don't think everyone who labels themselves as "conscious" actually is, and I'm also not sure that those who actually are (or are working on it) see themselves as better. This takes me back to the spirit of what I shared in the other thread, so maybe a concrete example might work. Suppose you (general) had spent years on drugs and have come to understand the behavior as problematic. You decide to seriously dissect the issue that caused the addiction in the first place and cleaned out your system. You are serious about your recovery and have no intention of going backwards regardless of how much outside pressure to do so is there. Would it be advisable to spend time hanging with active drug addicts---those who may not see the behavior as problematic and most certainly have no intention of leaving the lifestyle? Do you think you are better because you may speak out against it and choose not to be around those who continue to be ok with it? Now, you may make yourself available if you see that they may sincerely want to come out of it, but you don't reassociate yourself with it, otherwise you may fall back into the cycle of destruction.

Now, say for instance, you were never on drugs but know someone who is. How would you approach that person? Do you feel if you say something to him or her that you are being judgemental? If you don't say anything to them or you create an environment of comfort and tolerance around the habit, wouldn't that make you an enabler of the behavior since you aren't doing anything to intervene? Is it loving NOT to speak on the behavior when you know it to be destructive?

Just some things to ponder I suppose...

For the record, I do understand what you mean (or implied)---being arrogant is never a good thing.

Sister Blak ... thanks for understanding my point.

In regard to your analogy, if one overcomes their addiction, they have reason to be proud, lift themselves up, etc.

But with white supremacy racism, none of us have overcome the addiction, even the so-called conscious.

We've just created another division ... consciousness ... that does not solve the problem, leaving the so-called conscious just as addicted as the rest of us.

Consciousness, in and of itself, has not solved the problem ... so i don't see why it gets so much play.

Even if one is conscious, they are still bound by white supremacy racism.

It's a trick ... part of the dynamic of white supremacy racism ... us fighting each other over yet another thing, while we're all still bound.

Thanks for sharing.

Love You!

Destee

Understood. But, my thinking is that just like an addiction isn't kicked overnight, neither is ridding your mind and spirit of white/light supremacy thinking. It's a recovery process and EVERY sincere step you take in the direction of freeing yourself counts and helps alleviate the greater problem. When you put a recovering addict together with an active (willful) addict with no or very limited desire to change, all you get is addiction. If that recovering addict wants to keep charging ahead towards real, sustained change and healing, then he or she must avoid an environment that will cause a relapse. There is nothing that stops him or her from telling the active addict...hey, I know what it's like, but I ain't going there NO more. If you decide to take this journey with me, then I will be there for you IF and only if you are sincere, but I will NOT let you drag me down with you. That is the reality of what must happen because no real power is obtained by waiting for the oppressor to do right by us. That only happens when we position ourselves to change that part of us that makes us go along with it.

Divisions don't go away because they are wished away, there has to be consensus on the ultimate path to take. I don't think it's sunk in that many of us do not want things to be any different than they are. This sister reminded me that you have to pay attention to what people ULTIMATELY want; a lot of Black people aren't disturbed about the system, they just want equal access to participate in it---that's significant. With that, we do need to keep up our antannae for those who want the recovery and may not know how to start the journey.

:SuN013:
Sister Blak ... thanks for understanding my point.

In regard to your analogy, if one overcomes their addiction, they have reason to be proud, lift themselves up, etc.

But with white supremacy racism, none of us have freed ourselves from it.

We've just created another division ... consciousness ... that does not solve the problem, leaving the so-called conscious just as addicted as the rest of us.

Consciousness, in and of itself, has not solved the problem ... so i don't see why it gets so much play.

Even if one is conscious, they are still bound by white supremacy racism.

It's a trick ... part of the dynamic of white supremacy racism ... us fighting each other, while we're all still bound.

Thanks for sharing.

Love You!

Destee

Understood. But, my thinking is that just like an addiction isn't kicked overnight, neither is ridding your mind and spirit of white/light supremacy thinking. It's a recovery process and EVERY sincere step you take in the direction of freeing yourself counts and helps alleviate the greater problem. When you put a recovering addict together with an active (willful) addict with no or very limited desire to change, all you get is addiction. If that recovering addict wants to keep charging ahead towards real, sustained change and healing, then he or she must avoid an environment that will cause a relapse. There is nothing that stops him or her from telling the active addict...hey, I know what it's like, but I ain't going there NO more. If you decide to take this journey with me, then I will be there for you IF and only if you are sincere, but I will NOT let you drag me down with you. That is the reality of what must happen because no real power is obtained by waiting for the oppressor to do right by us. That only happens when we position ourselves to change that part of us that makes us go along with it.

Divisions don't go away because they are wished away, there has to be consensus on the ultimate path to take. I don't think it's sunk in that many of us do not want things to be any different than they are. This sister reminded me that you have to pay attention to what people ULTIMATELY want; a lot a Black people aren't disturbed about the system, they just want equal access to participate in it---that's significant. With that, we do need to keep up our antannae for those who want the recovery and may not know how to start the journey.

:SuN013:

I think we're on the same page ... a journey does begin with one step ... but i don't think we can begin the celebration party at that first step.

Consciousness seems to be a series of many steps, but if those steps do not end in freedom from white supremacy racism ... there should be no party.

Many are partying at the thought of being conscious ... taking a first step or two ... never completing the journey.

Which is why i don't understand why it gets so much play.

An addict that remains an addict, only taking steps to recovery, never completing the process ... is still an addict.

We're addicts until we complete the recovery process .... no matter how many steps toward recovery we take.

Call them conscious or call them unconscious ... at the end of the day they're the same ... dependent on racism white supremacy.

I see no substantive difference.

Love You!

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back