Black People : What Does Conscious Mean - When We're All Dependent On Others?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, May 13, 2011.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

What Does Conscious Mean - When We're All Dependent On Others?

Black People in America depend on white people to provide their food, lights, gas, and water ... life necessities.

But we will QUICKLY jump on another Sister or Brother ... talking about how blind, lost, and pitiful they are ... when you are just as bound.

How can we do this to each other?

What drives us to think we are better than another Sister or Brother, when you gotta go to the same white folk for life necessities?!

What else but the dynamic of white supremacy ... the great force that pushes us to damage each other ... can explain this phenomena?

How can one drape themselves in "consciousness" ... be better than another ... when they are just as subject to white supremacy racism, as the rest of us?!

Please help me understand.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    This is an interesting question because it requires people to go to realms they may not be comfortable with. I don't think everyone who labels themselves as "conscious" actually is, and I'm also not sure that those who actually are (or are working on it) see themselves as better. This takes me back to the spirit of what I shared in the other thread, so maybe a concrete example might work. Suppose you (general) had spent years on drugs and have come to understand the behavior as problematic. You decide to seriously dissect the issue that caused the addiction in the first place and cleaned out your system. You are serious about your recovery and have no intention of going backwards regardless of how much outside pressure to do so is there. Would it be advisable to spend time hanging with active drug addicts---those who may not see the behavior as problematic and most certainly have no intention of leaving the lifestyle? Do you think you are better because you may speak out against it and choose not to be around those who continue to be ok with it? Now, you may make yourself available if you see that they may sincerely want to come out of it, but you don't reassociate yourself with it, otherwise you may fall back into the cycle of destruction.

Now, say for instance, you were never on drugs but know someone who is. How would you approach that person? Do you feel if you say something to him or her that you are being judgemental? If you don't say anything to them or you create an environment of comfort and tolerance around the habit, wouldn't that make you an enabler of the behavior since you aren't doing anything to intervene? Is it loving NOT to speak on the behavior when you know it to be destructive?

Just some things to ponder I suppose...

For the record, I do understand what you mean (or implied)---being arrogant is never a good thing.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Sister Blak ... thanks for understanding my point.

In regard to your analogy, if one overcomes their addiction, they have reason to be proud, lift themselves up, etc.

But with white supremacy racism, none of us have overcome the addiction, even the so-called conscious.

We've just created another division ... consciousness ... that does not solve the problem, leaving the so-called conscious just as addicted as the rest of us.

Consciousness, in and of itself, has not solved the problem ... so i don't see why it gets so much play.

Even if one is conscious, they are still bound by white supremacy racism.

It's a trick ... part of the dynamic of white supremacy racism ... us fighting each other over yet another thing, while we're all still bound.

Thanks for sharing.

Love You!

Destee

4. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Understood. But, my thinking is that just like an addiction isn't kicked overnight, neither is ridding your mind and spirit of white/light supremacy thinking. It's a recovery process and EVERY sincere step you take in the direction of freeing yourself counts and helps alleviate the greater problem. When you put a recovering addict together with an active (willful) addict with no or very limited desire to change, all you get is addiction. If that recovering addict wants to keep charging ahead towards real, sustained change and healing, then he or she must avoid an environment that will cause a relapse. There is nothing that stops him or her from telling the active addict...hey, I know what it's like, but I ain't going there NO more. If you decide to take this journey with me, then I will be there for you IF and only if you are sincere, but I will NOT let you drag me down with you. That is the reality of what must happen because no real power is obtained by waiting for the oppressor to do right by us. That only happens when we position ourselves to change that part of us that makes us go along with it.

Divisions don't go away because they are wished away, there has to be consensus on the ultimate path to take. I don't think it's sunk in that many of us do not want things to be any different than they are. This sister reminded me that you have to pay attention to what people ULTIMATELY want; a lot of Black people aren't disturbed about the system, they just want equal access to participate in it---that's significant. With that, we do need to keep up our antannae for those who want the recovery and may not know how to start the journey.

:SuN013:

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

I think we're on the same page ... a journey does begin with one step ... but i don't think we can begin the celebration party at that first step.

Consciousness seems to be a series of many steps, but if those steps do not end in freedom from white supremacy racism ... there should be no party.

Many are partying at the thought of being conscious ... taking a first step or two ... never completing the journey.

Which is why i don't understand why it gets so much play.

An addict that remains an addict, only taking steps to recovery, never completing the process ... is still an addict.

We're addicts until we complete the recovery process .... no matter how many steps toward recovery we take.

Call them conscious or call them unconscious ... at the end of the day they're the same ... dependent on racism white supremacy.

I see no substantive difference.

Love You!

Destee

6. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    EVERY step counts...as long as it is sincere, it counts because it's significant that you have decided that oppressive forces will no longer have control over your mind. As incomplete as it may be on the outset, it is nothing to scoff at because it will drive you/us to progressively greater levels of healing. The elephant is taken one bite at a time, but that first bite sets the stage. People see what's possible when they are able to witness someone who has been in their shoes. That's a GOOD thing. It seems the spirit of what you are concerned about is being arrogant, and with that, I agree. Maintaining a level head and knowing your vulnerabilities keeps you going in a forward direction. So, we don't need arrogance, but we do need to set standards...peace.

7. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
  8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Yes Sister, i agree with you. Every step counts.

It's more than arrogance ... some folk are actually lifting themselves above the rest of us ... based on the term conscious.

They believe they are better. That they have arrived somewhere. Yet they are still as bound as the rest of us.

I don't understand that.

At the end of the day, the problem has not been solved ... no matter what steps were taken to solve it.

If you take your car to a shop, they tell you all about the steps taken to solve the problem ... but if the car aint fixed ... those steps won't mean much.

In that same vein, we must solve the problem, and anything short of that, should not be worthy of adulation.

Love You!

Destee

9. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ok...that's arrogance to me....thinking you're above someone. That aside, however, to accomplish what you are talking is going to require that everyone be on the same page, and it's going to require everyone to question the nature of the system. Now, I don't need to be personally arrogant to NOT want to align myself any longer with sickness. But, if I want to start moving, what should I do....wait for sick folks to realize that they are sick? Like I said, there are plenty of Black people on this planet at this very moment who see NO problem with what's going on---they only want to be allowed to equally participate in it. That's problematic for me; if I see that, what is the appropriate step for me to take? How are you proposing that everyone get on the same page at the same time? What is the correct thing to do? I mean what is it that you would like to see happen to resolve what you see to be the problem?

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Sister Blak ... i gotta run an errand, but i will come back to this, and answer all of your questions! :)

Let me say briefly, i think it is more than arrogance, to be dependent on white folk, while talking about other Black folk who are also dependent.

They wanna call themselves conscious ... somehow separating themselves from the rest of us.

That's more than arrogance ... that's the dynamic of white supremacy racism ... at its finest!

I'll be back ... Love You and Thanks!

Destee