Black Relationships : What does black love mean to you?

Never been more blessed

in my life with friends who ginuinely and sincerely care for me and my well being.

My father was soooo wrong to say that I don't have friends that help and care for me. How could he know anyway? You (and other poets) have helped me via internet more that my so called friends living here with me in the same city.

Seeing God's love filter through!

"he may not come when you want Him but He's ALWAYS right on time!!!!"

*wondering where I'd be spiritually if I never met you all*

Blak love...What a wonderful topic.

Before I start this I noticed something that I don't think I've addressed in the past so I'll do it now. It may not be the right forum but to not discount my thoughts on "Blak Love" I feel I must.

The exclusion of the "c" in "Black". I exclude this because it is the letter that begins the word "colored." As in "No coloreds allowed." So for me the "c" in "black" has a negative connection to the past. Of course if I'm writing a paper for any particular reason I'd include it, but, outside of that it's dropped. So there is no "c" because "there ain't no colored in me." Feel me? It is my way of bewildering people enough that they may ask why the "c" is not present so I can tell them how I stand on the word "colored." This is the reason I do not pay too much mind to the NAACP. Because they stiil prescribe to that part of the acronym "National Association for the Advancement of COLORED people" hmmmm....I haven't been called "colored" in a long time, so who are they advancing? and I'll be damned if I accept that term from anyone. Anyway off that and on to the topic at hand.

"Blak love" what a marvelous thing and definitely a thought provoker. I appreciate the beautiful trains of thought that have been placed before us, I feel we can all learn something from these various points of views.

If I get to "utopic" just let me know.

When I raised this issue I was speaking of the emotional love between the "blak man and woman." I noticed there were a few replies that spoke of other areas of blak love and I value your views on the things mentioned because they are vital to this entire realm we call "blak love." But I chose man/woman love for one particular reason. Outside of God's love for us all, I feel that this connection between the blak man and woman is so very important.

I look at a lot of social issues that plague us. I thought often about how we could "fix" this. From homelessness to blak on blak crime, I feel that this connection could make a world of difference. Now mind you I to agree with a few of you who mentioned "self-love" because without it loving someone else "effectively" is impossible (I'll get to that "effectively" piece in a minute). But that's a whole discussion within itself, this "self-love."

I've also looked at the hateful attitudes of many blak men towards blak women and many blak women towards blak men and see "hurt" people. To the degree that they reside in a box with no windows, not seeing the beauty that a blak man or blak woman can bring to their life. This is a painful sight.

So with that said this is blak love to me. Blak love is a connection, and to quote N2, on a complete mental, spiritual, physical, and "emotional" level. This connection is one in which there is "unconditional/conditional" love, yes that's right both at the same time. I noticed discussion on this point and I thought, hmmm, very valid points. Love is unconditional that regardless of flaws "I will Love you". However, flaws (serious flaws like abuse, I'm not talking about a pimple on a nose) unchecked are unhealthy and destroys people. And people exist "unhappily together" and "happy" is priority. It makes no sense to me to be with someone that brings you down, or as I like to say "helps you die." Even in marriage and by no means do I advocate divorce. But, if it gets to be "unhealthy" and all resources to salvage the marriage have been exhausted, then that may be the "healthiest" and "smartest" choice. But there has to be an effort to save the union and not treat it as a "fad", ya know, "here today, gone tommorow." So in that sense there are conditions that need to be upheld, emotional conditions. Not the kind that go "if you get this for me I'll continue to love you" that's not love, that's control. Or outside of the materialistic viewpoint "if you change this about you or stop hanging with so and so, I'll love you." Once again that's control. Besides if the person was real with you in the first place then you know what kind of person you're involved with and you "fall in love" which actually you "rise in love" with that person.

Blak love is when a man and woman understands thier obligations to the other. Most importantly supporting their mate. This obligation encompasses many things from the aforementioned to;

*making their mate laugh - we all know about endorphins right? That chemical that is released into one's body when one laughs - and makes you feel good. We all want our mates to "feel good" don't we? So tell your mate a joke today!

*Listening to the other - even when you don't have a lick of interest in what the other's talking about. I am an avid sports fanatic and I can count many times that I was blown off by persons that I was with at the time when I began to speak of any sport. If you don't understand ask. It doesn't hurt to learn. Those brief glimpses into what thrills us can be future opportunites to surprise the us (ex. tickets to a game in the mentioned instance).Or for the sake of relating if you're with a mate who does not write and really doen't care about it, gets you tickets and goes with you to a poetry reading...well ****! there it is. When a person can enter a realm with you to the detriment of their total comfort...that says a lot. Just the undivided, attentive ear can turn someone on. And it shows that you are interested in the whole person.

*communicating - It's not a perfect science, to this day it is a work in process for me. This is an elementary point, but, as you know so many of us have issues with this. Just listen to the conversations in the hood on any given day, or on a CD. You can count the "your a *****" and "eff you *****" comments. This is a dysfunctional communicative process. But you know, and this is a tangent along the self-love piece, a lot of us prescribe to these descriptions and relish in the burnt up glow of being called these words. Sickness. Mental sickness. Now does that mean I condemn artists for using such words, as art if we can delicately veil it as such, no. But as a message that is conveyed I condemn it. I don't use such words as a rule of my respect for myself, my queen, and my people.

Beyond that a lot of us just don't talk, about anything beyond how someone's day at work or school was. I mean time out to stimulate each other on a "mental" level. Caress the intellect with the strokes of wisdom. It promotes growth and "If ya not helping me live (grow) you're helping me...die."

*Complimenting your mate. Showering them in verbal adulation. It's like milk "it does the body good." Tell your man or woman they look good a few times. After a while even if they look fantastic already they will go into another zone when it comes to looking good for you (and essentially it helps them out, on a feel good level).

*Telling your mate "I Love You." Yeah, your mate may know this, but, they never get enough of hearing it. Those are three words that can dang near change your physiological make up. It makes you what...you know...feel good.

I can go on forever regarding this. But those are some of my thoughts.

In addition to this blak love is helping mate understand who he/she is on an African level. If you need to break it down and say "baby, you know you have royal blood flowing through your veins well ****, say it!" If you don't understand your history, read and learn it. that probably can go without saying, but, I'm saying it. If we understood the greatness that flows through each other how can we, with a conscious mind, mistreat each other? Knowledge as we know is "empowering" and we want our mates to feel as such. For Queens to feel like Tabiry and brothers to feel like Piankhy (a King of Kush of the twenty-fifth dynasty)

When we support and love each other on this level and many of those mentioned. Then we can raise our kids iin a healthy environment and serve as role models of how young brothers need to grow and treat these future queens and vice versa. This love will put us in direct correlation to protecting one another and moving in the same direction when it comes to the struggles we experience as a people.

And in the beginning of "destroying" us as a people one of the first things that was done was destroy our "connection." That needs to be mended on a global level (but as they say take care of home first)

I'll end there as I could go on forever. So this questions is have I been there. That is the question.

one love, blakverb

On a whole diaspora level. I love all my blak people, from the crook to the saint. Some just need more to heal than others. hmmm....is this another conversation in the making?

Black Love Is Black Pride and wanting to see UR community Grow

Black love to me means to love UR community so much that U want 2 C a black owned grocery store,movie theater,shopping center. Black luv to me means if U have 2 walk that X-tra mile away from a more convienient store just to shop at a black store, that is black love. Black love 2 me is paying 20cents more 4 an item U could get at the 99cents store or the dollar tree.Black love is husbands supporting black women and the children they make, black love is the woman supporting the black man and understanding him , and telling him how 2 luv U, black luv is wearing the hair in it's natural state. Black luv 2 me is teaching the children not 2 feel low self worth because of their african slave /american indian heritage.Black love is God and he will lead & guide us 2 luv our selvels in this sick society today, black luv is 2 luv a brotha or a sista without that Lincoln Navigator truck. :love:

Black love is something that can not expressed into words. It's like looking at yr man or girl and knowing that they love u. It's the way we express our feelings toward each other. For me, it's feeling when u know that yr man loves u and there's nothing that can erase that feeling.
THAT'S BLACK LOVE!!

Re: Black Love Is Black Pride and wanting to see UR community Grow

Originally posted by Abisha
Black love to me means to love UR community so much that U want 2 C a black owned grocery store,movie theater,shopping center. Black luv to me means if U have 2 walk that X-tra mile away from a more convienient store just to shop at a black store, that is black love. Black love 2 me is paying 20cents more 4 an item U could get at the 99cents store or the dollar tree.Black love is husbands supporting black women and the children they make, black love is the woman supporting the black man and understanding him , and telling him how 2 luv U, black luv is wearing the hair in it's natural state. Black luv 2 me is teaching the children not 2 feel low self worth because of their african slave /american indian heritage.Black love is God and he will lead & guide us 2 luv our selvels in this sick society today, black luv is 2 luv a brotha or a sista without that Lincoln Navigator truck. :love:

ITA:toast:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Savarnas Beauty Spa
It's a lot going on and I know I have not been here for a long time but it is about to change.
Back