Black Spirituality Religion : What does "AD" and "BC" mean?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685
    What does A.D. mean?

It stands for Anno Domini, which is Latin for "year of our Lord," and it means the number of years since the birth of Jesus Christ. That was 2000 years ago, so the date 500 A.D. means 1500 years ago.

What does B.C. mean?

It stands for Before Christ, and it means the number of years before the birth of Jesus Christ. That was 2000 years ago, so the date 552 B.C. means 2552 years ago.

Is this correct?

I got the above information from the following site:

http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/ad.htm
    http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/bc.htm

2. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    If you subtract 2000 years from 2002 we arrive at the year 2 AD...Jesus the Christ was 9 years old at that time. The premise in the second part of your statement is flawed because 500 AD would be a year, not a date. And the year 500 AD means 1502 years ago, or 500 years after the time of Jesus the Christ...

More correctly BCE...Before the Christian Era. Or, to simplify, before the year 0 AD. The birth of Christ was actually 2007 years ago, and the YEAR 552 BC means 2554 years ago, or 552 years before the time of Jesus...

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685
    Thank you Aqil. I've edited my original post so that you (and everyone) can know where I got that information. It could be the page has not been edited in two years, explaining the "2 year difference."

If "AD" means the number of years since the birth of Jesus Christ, and at 0 AD He was 7 years old (using what you said above, that he was 9 years old 2 AD) ... why aren't His first 7 years of life represented in the term "AD?" It seems "0 AD" should be the year He was born. Am I missing something?

Okay, please bear with me because I'm trying to understand ... if Jesus Christ was born 2007 years ago, would the following be true?

2000 years ago = 2 AD
    7 years before that = 5 BC

So Jesus Christ was born in 5 BC? A little different than my question above, but still, He was born before 0 AD?

From that same web site, it did mention "BCE." It said the following ... Some people use B.C.E. instead. That stands for Before the Common Era, and is used in order to avoid Christian references.

Thanks Aqil.

:heart:

Destee

4. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Yes you are. "AD" (i.e., "Anno Domini") does not mean the number of years since the birth of Jesus Christ. It means, "in the year (or time) of the Lord," which would include the first 7 years of his life. He was born in the year 7 BC.

Jesus was born in 7 BC, which is before the year 0 AD. The years descend before the year 0, and ascend after. For example, Jesus was born in 7 BC; he was a year old in 6 BC; 2 in 5 BC; 3 in 4 BC; 4 in 3 BC; 5 in 2 BC; 6 in 1 BC; 7 in 0 AD; 8 in 1 AD; 9 in 2 AD; 10 in 3 AD, etc.

5. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    This is crazy! If there was a calender already in place when Christ was born, Why did they structure a new calender around his year of time?

This says to me, before Christ was born, a calendar was already in place, counting back from his birth. How could they count back from Christ Birth if he hadn't been born yet? If a calender wasn't in place then why wouldn't they structure the calender on the exact year that he was born?

What this tells me is, that they don't know the year when Christ was born. If they did, they wouldn't be counting backwards from his birth. which means that there was no calender in place. Then why would they assume that he was born in 7bc and not in, for example: 2000ad? Who put this calender into place anyway?

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel you...completely. :D

7. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Stop laughing at me Money! I'm tryin to be serious here. Ah man! See what you done did? You got me over here laughin at myself too! :lol: :lol: :lol: But still! Shoot! :insane:

8. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I thought it would be kewl to add links to this thread that gives some estimates of when the books in the Bible and the Qu'ran was written. I read that the Quran was written around the time of the Great Prophet Muhammad. Much of the information had been written down or memorized by numerous people. The actually dates are unknown.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of the links below will also tell you approximately when the Era of christianity began.

Moses initiated Judaism about 1600 BC. Hebrew religion began to give rise to Judaism after the destruction of the temple and the exile of Judah in 586 BC. A link is provided for this infomation too.

The oldest known worship, is the worshop of the Egyptians/ethiopians, but it is documented Hinduism is the oldest religion known in the east. Hinduism religion was born in india.

Heres are the links below:
    http://www.carm.org/bible/biblewhen.htm
    http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomf...ampTest=1&remove_url=http://www.muhammad.net/
    http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomf...http://www.quranicstudies.com/printout89.html
    http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomf...rl=http://mb-soft.com/believe/txo/judaism.htm

9. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Here is a list of calendars in current use around the world (including some dating systems which are not really calendars):

53-week calendar
    Bahai calendar
    Chinese calendar
    Coptic calendar
    Discordian calendar
    Ethiopian calendar
    Fiscal year calendar
    Gregorian calendar
    Hebrew calendar
    Hindu calendars
    Iranian calendar
    Irish calendar
    Islamic calendar
    ISO Week-Date calendar
    Revised Julian calendar
    Japanese calendar
    Julian calendar
    Malayalam calendar
    Metonic calendar
    Thai solar calendar
    Zoroastrian calendar (including Parsi)

A calendar was already in use, Purple, but not one counting back from his birth. Astronomers and historians – both secular and ecclesiastical – unanimously agree that December 25th of the year 1 AD was not the authentic date of the birth of Jesus Christ. As a matter of fact, December 25, 1 AD is incorrect in regards to both the day and the year...

The responsibility for this error lies at the door of the Scythian monk Dionysius Exiguus, who made several mistakes and miscalculations. He lived in Rome, and in the year 532 AD he was instructed to fix the beginning of the New Era by working back through the years. But he forgot the year 0, which should have been placed between the years 1 BC and 1 AD. He also overlooked the four years that the Roman Emperor Augustus had reigned under his own name, “Octavian.”

They didn't...

The Hebrew calendar was in place then...

2000 AD was five years ago...:) The Jews of that day used the Hebrew calendar, which was basically a lunar calendar. Some still do...

10. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Thanks for the interesting links, Purple...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 1500 bc means

2. what does 500 ad mean

3. 2000 bc means

4. what does it mean 1500 bc,
  5. what does bc and ad mean,
  6. 2500 bc means