Black Parenting : what do you want for your children in life?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by Full Speed, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    What do you want for you children in life? Do you believe it is/will be obtainable for them? What are you doing to equip them to obtain that goal? What do you see as the obstacles to hinder their progression towards that goal?

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    1. Good times. Happiness. Satisfaction.

2. Yes.

3. Living my example. Teaching what I know.

4. Human Nature. Artificial Nature (aka white supremacy).

3. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Off, I'm expecting and in a very tough situation so this question is hard fam :)

1. I want them to have freedom - and the wisdom to see it, courage to choose it, determination live it and love to spread it.

2. Yes, but not without a (lifelong) fight.

3. My child is not born yet, but I will impart all my knowledge and wisdom - as well as historical and ancestral lessons. Practical information, know-how, books, lots of love and respect plus guidance and mentorship from myself and the (extended) family.

4. The social fabric they are born into, the power-structure they are surrounded by and the education system they will have to pass through.

One,

- Ikoro

4. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    1. Safety

2. Knowledge of self

3. Happiness

4. A good self esteem

5. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    1.) Self-determination- I really like the way Ikoro put it.
    I want them to realize that they can be whatever/whoever THEY choose to be. I don't want them to place any self-imposed barriers to them reaching their potential. I want them to have the strenght to overcome any man made or society imposed barriers to their potential or self-determination.

2.) I think self-determination is now available to them, but I fear we are going backwards to times when liberty and freedoms will be restricted.

3.) I teach them to be independent of this worldly system. To be in the world, but not of the world. To have survival skills that they can sustain themselves should hard times or an economic collaspe occur. I teach them to hunt, fish, to be protectors of our home and theirs as they become adults.
    I was talking with my teenage son yesterday about racism and the "glass ceiling".

4) While self-determination allows them the freedom to accept or reject my belief system, I want them to accept it and embrace it for themselves. As a Christian, doing so comes with a certain amount of pursecution as witnessed in this very forum. So, the external obstacles for my children would be christian persecution, racial prejudice and lets not forget HATERS of all stripes. Internal obstacles would be self motivation, drive, work ethic, and tenacity (among many other potential self imposed show stoppers)

6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    full speed.. this is an example of a good question.. it doesn't proposition
    division or conflict.. every response deepens the pool...

7. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Thanks for your input. As I look down the thread of recent post, I see much more division and conflict than I see positive, supportive, unity. It should be obvious that each of us have different desires and ideas. As a people, we should be supportive of the self-determination of our brothers and sisters. We are in this thing together and should therefore look for things we can unify around rather than things that divide us. If we are of the opinion that we have to agree on everything in order to unify, we will never advance to our potential.

This thing with religion that is going on in the threads right now has gotten rediculous, not to mention EXTREMELY COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. Why can't we all just get along. :) Why can't we live, and let live. Why can't we share our belief system with one another (if they want to hear it) but still respect them if they choose not to agree with us or believe that what we believe is truth?

Again, thanks for your input. I look forward to seeing more of our people articulate what they want out of life for their children, as well as themselves if they so choose to share it.

8. Emerald_Queen

Emerald_Queen Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +83
    "The hand the rocks the craddle is the hands that rule the world." We hold the key in helping raise our children to pursue their dreams and recognize their ambitions. It's a hard task that each parent is faced with, yet it is our obligation to love, nurture, discipline, guide our children. No every time our children will make the best decision but showing how there mistake got them this consequence (whether good or bad), should allow them to make better decisions in the future.

I want my children to be determined to do their best and not rely on Mommy or Daddy for things they have the opportunity to earn on their own! It's easy do it for them or solve their problems over and over again because it's a quick fix. Though, what will they get from that? What will they learn? They will learn to run to whoever is doing it for them so they won't have to deal with it.

Having the right tools to give your children in the relm decision making, being confident in who they are, is just to name a few. I will root, shout and support my children when they are doing something positive and good. If it's not they will get the oposite reaction from me. Overall, being the best parent that I can be but continuing to evolve in my techniques to ensure the best for myself and for them.

ETA:

1. Happiness
    2. Drive
    3. Determination