Black People : What do you think?:Qaddafi apologizes for Arab involvement in slave trade

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Amnat77, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Oct 12th, 2010 | By Sallie Pisch | Category: Featured, North Africa

CAIRO: Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi apologized for the slave trade on behalf of Arabs at the second Afro-Arab summit in Libya on Sunday. It may be the first time an Arab leader has admitted – much less apologized for – enslaving Africans.

While completely unprecedented, the statement falls in line with Qaddafi’s decade-long policy of aligning himself with African nations.

“I regret the behavior of the Arabs… They brought African children to North Africa, they made them slaves, they sold them like animals, and they took them as slaves and traded them in a shameful way. I regret and I am ashamed when we remember these practices. I apologize for this,” Qaddafi was quoted as saying.

A number of African leaders, including Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir and Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, were in attendance at the summit which covered topics ranging from the Palestinian issue to Sudanese separation.

Gaddafi continued his statement by saying, “Today we are embarrassed and shocked by these outrageous practices of rich Arabs who had treated their fellow Africans with contempt and condescension.” Gaddafi’s statement was broad, leaving a time reference open for debate.

There is very little documentation about the African enslavement in the Arab world. Most documentation and research focuses on the trans-Atlantic slave trade, but until the turn of the 19th Century, Arab slave traders dealt in a lucrative business in African slaves from the Congo, Rwanda, and particularly East Africa. In the middle of the ninth century, a revolt of the Zanj, African slaves held in modern-day Iraq, lasted for nearly fifteen years.

The Arab slave trade was also excuse used by Europeans, including King Leopold II of Belgium, to move into Africa during the age of European colonization.

There is some documentation of Arab enslavement up until the mid-1900s. According to a report by the United Nations in 1957, as much as 20% of the population of Saudi Arabia consisted of slaves. The report listed the worth of a girl under 5 years of age to be between 200-400 British pounds on the Jeddah slave market, while a man under 40 averaged 150 British pounds.

It is plausible that Gaddafi’s statements referenced modern enslavement by Arabs, from the era of European colonization to the present day. “We should now recognize this issue, denounce it vigorously and place it in its true dimension,” Ghaddafi said in his statement.

In September, UK Channel 4 released a film version of the story of a Nubian woman named Mende Nazer. The film, titled “I Am Slave,” tells the true story of a girl who was abducted from the Nuba mountains and was eventually sold into domestic servitude with an Arab family in London.

In 2000, Nazer’s story made international news when she managed to escape. Although the numbers of people living in such circumstances are difficult to determine, an August article in the UK’s Telegraph estimated around 5,000 people are currently working as domestic slaves in the UK.

Either way, the Libyan leader’s statement is remarkable, even for a man who likes to make headlines.

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=18517

2. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Timely 'apology' eh?..I SMELL A RAT!:em2300::court:

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    On the surface it seems like an admiral gesture. Lets see if he can convince some of the rich Arab states he referenced to admit their guilt and talk about reparations.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :SuN049: where my forty acres and my camel?

5. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    From what I've read the Arabs have been enslaving S.S.Africans for centuries before people were carted off to America and weren't they the ones who helped the Europeans all through the time of American enslavement. If this is supposed to be a genuine apology where is the concrete backup that needs to follow it - what is he going to do to improve the lot of the people in the countries from where these people were enslaved.

6. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Unless he was voted in by 53 reperesentatives to the AU,
    as president,
    by "putting a spell on them from Aladin's lamp"

, then this is no biggie.
    For any , man to achieve that much support from that many diverse Africans, it has to be sincere

but we as Africans have to be wary enough to draw the line when they get themselves in a mess and start thinking,
    we will run to their aid

7. wetac0s

wetac0s Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +272
    Unfortunately, many libyans are mixed with Black africans today so it is complicated.

What I do know is that Gaddhaffi nationalized the oil in Libya and kicked out western companies - just like Mugabe. His rule is questionable, but there is no doubt that the west wants him out for their own interests.

8. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Wow! it hurts to hear this...really painful. My great grandmother was sold into American slavery from East Africa byway of Arabs. America did the same thing, apologize during the Obama presidential campaign. I don't want an apology without compensation...of which I know they cant give...

9. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    There are reconciliation movements all over this planet, and they are like death bed confessions--completely worthless. Such are typically done not in the spirit of genuine rectification, but to escape justice.

10. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    So true.

But it's like pouring salt on a wound. i can't believe anyone would have the nerve to apologize now, at this late day in time after these systems are running out of funds, so to speak. I don't want crumbs. I want justice that I know they can't give. They can't wipe away the memories of our ancestors or how many of us are still severely affected by these systems of which causes us to be victimized by racist people almost everyday on our jobs and everywhere we go.

I feel his confession will be used as a ploy or a trick by others to entice many Black Africans into going into places like Libya...only to be set up for genecide...because most of those Arabs over there have no intentions of making any death confession on behalf of Black African exploitation.

I can't believe these things are happening, but I realize that I should not be surprised. It's so frustrating though.