Black Sports : What Do You Think Of Larry Bird's Comments?

Okay now that I read Bird's interview....I think he said what a lot of people are thinking. The NBA would like to have more white players (to draw more fans-white fans with deep pockets); however, it isn't going to happen because blacks are vastly superior in most cases. Ideally I think the NBA would like to be the NFL....where there are as many white stars as there are black ones. In the NFL most star quarterbacks are white. Even though there are more black quarterbacks than ever, and many are stars (Michael Vick, Duante Colepepper, Steve McNair, etc). White quarterbacks are winning the superbowl....and this is how white america likes it. My much loved boxing is another example of a sport that has been black dominated (it is also Latino dominated), and suffered in popularity as a result. Now that a white man, Vitali Klitschko, is heavyweight champion watch that sport increase in popularity. For me this is no shock, for those who are suprised/offended.....welcome to America. The NBA is black dominated....so is Boxing....that is probably why they are my 2 favorite sports!!!!!! :grin:

panafrica said:
After thinking about this some more...I have a different outlook. As a player I have no problem with Bird's statement...I think what he said was the reality that many people don't want to admit. However, Bird is also a GM....in that context his comments are dangerous, if he was to act on them.

I totally agree with you Pan. When I first heard about it through "hearsay" I was irked. But then when I read it for myself, I could understand where he was coming from, but at the same time, I felt he should no more make an issue of it than blacks would about there not being enough black hockey players :look: I told my daughter yesterday that maybe he'll hire himself an all white team one day...of course he wouldn't win any championships like that but he will have the reassurance of having a lot of :jumping:"excited" white fans :look:

panafrica said:
After thinking about this some more...I have a different outlook. As a player I have no problem with Bird's statement...I think what he said was the reality that many people don't want to admit. However, Bird is also a GM....in that context his comments are dangerous, if he was to act on them.

That's true. Never looked at it that way pan. Even if he didn't act on them. It may make players that he's associated question him if taken out of context.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back