Black Sports : What Do You Think Of Larry Bird's Comments?

Joyce

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 23, 2001
Florida
Occupation
people
I am not surprised that he think that, but I was surprised that he let it come out of his mouth. Whites are usually good about keeping this type of discussion "among themselves", rather than out in the open. Quite frankly, I'm glad he let it out for I belief it is a reflection how many whites feel. It a combination of envy and jealousy I believe. :bowdown: The brothas are truly gifted in the physical realm...yes lawd. This is one gift the white man has not be able to sucessfully duplicate nor...steal. :rolling:

Some of what Larry Said: In an interview for an ESPN special set to air Thursday at 7 p.m. ET, Jim Gray asks Bird: "Does the NBA lack enough white superstars in your opinion?"

"Well, I think so," Bird replies, according to an ESPN transcript. "You know when I played, you had me and Kevin (McHale) and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because as we all know the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Thus as Larry said, it will always be a black man's game. If he feels there are too many black men on the court and not enough whites, is that the black man's fault? Sure black man dominate the sport, but who owns it? Who's running it? Answer: The white man. I like what Magic said...Basketball needs more Larry Birds. So with that I say that white players are gonna have to step their game up if more of them are to be seen on the courts. After all, isn't that what they've been telling us in the job market and college entrance tests? You're not qualified enough??? Well then, how about a dose of your own medicine baby or better yet, get a (borrow some from Shaq) melanin transplant. Melanin is all natural and guaranteed to give you the "boost" you need in getting that ball to the goal. :D

What do yall think?
Larry Birds Comments - Click Here

Joyce said:
Jim Gray asks Bird: "Does the NBA lack enough white superstars in your opinion?" "Well, I think so," Bird replies, according to an ESPN transcript. "You know when I played, you had me and Kevin (McHale) and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because as we all know the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."[/B]

Historical backdrop: The NBA started to intergrate in the 1960s with Players like Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain. Russell led the Boston Celtics to 11 titles in 13 years (an unprecidented feat). It did not take long for the NBA to pick players for their talent over their color. With talent being the criteria....blacks were obviously going to dominate. By the 1970s the NBA was so black dominated that people were calling it the Negro Basketball Association (and they didn't use Negro). Durings these years rumors of drug abuse was widespread, and the black players were considered too militant & angry, as a result basketball was probably the least popular of the major sports. This changed when Larry Bird & Magic Johnson came into the league in 1980. Magic Johnson was the smiling, happy go lucky black man....Bird was the great white player that had been missing. Throughout the 80s & early 90s Bird drew white fans back to the NBA. Most NBA Fans are white....that's true, and they want to see athletes that look like them. Owners want to win though, so they pick the best players: black. It is definately true that Blacks are the best athletes in the world! :) No harm no foul. There are more white players in the NBA than the past 2 decades though (European players)...it should no longer be an issue. But as we all know, we don't live in a color blind society.

It seems as though black players are the more dominate athletes. Also, as far as pure, natural talent. That's what makes the basketball such a great sport. Sometimes it seems as though white players are too pasive and not aggresive enough to compete on the same level. They'd rather sit outside the line and shoot 3-pointers all night instead of mixing it up inside, where the real damage is done. Take the Dallas Mavericks for instance. Bird was a great player as far as an understanding of the game and shooting, but he obviously was missing the physical part. His comments are an example of how most white NBA fans probably feel. One thing I didn't get was if he was saying it as something that was bothering him or was he stating that he aknowlegdes that black men will always rule basketball out of sheer talent and physical dominance needed to be a successful well-rounded basketball player?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back