Science and Technology : what do you think about PC hardware

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by rnojonson, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    I been playing with hardware for a while now, even work as a technician. I know folks want a desktop but will buy a laptop just because......
    I like the laptop except for the display you are stuck with. I propose a laptop case minus the display and call it the new desktop. That would leave the typical PC case for the modders and server folks. So what your opinion?
    [​IMG]

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I like both and have both but often then any on the desktop!

3. dexxtreme

dexxtreme Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    This reminds me of how they used to do it waaaay back in the day. Back when computers didn't come with monitors and had to be hooked up to your TV (e.g., Commodore 64).

I see pluses and minuses with this type of setup.

Pluses
    * The entire computer only takes up a little more room than a regular keyboard
    * It will most likely produce little heat and low power consumption

Minuses
    * There is still limited upgradability for certain components
    * It is not really portable since you wouldn't have a monitor to connect it to
    * There is a huge amount of market inertia encouraging users to stick with standard laptop and desktop machines

My main issue with laptops isn't the size of the display (mine has a 17" screen), but the keyboard being either too small or having too many keys slightly in the "wrong" position (makes it hard to touch type certain keys if you are used to a full size keyboard). The other issue I have is the inability to upgrade the video card to a more powerful version.

My issue with desktops is the large amount of space taken up by the case. Most people don't need a full- (or even mid-) tower, and many people can get away with a mini-itx case. Unfortunately, there are few options for that outside of pre-built computers. The Mac Mini is a good alternative for that issue, but you are still limited by upgrade options (e.g., video card).

4. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    thin desktop vs the ATX PC standard case

Sometimes a concept is great but not tried again because it reminds of the past. The Commodore 64 however, did not have a modern keyboard, built-in hard drive, optical drive or USB ports, so it's not really a revisit. Then, the AT/ATX PC case has been with us for-ever. I think it's time for an update.

I do agree that most portables have cramped and multi-functioned keys. So maybe the difference should be a full-sized keyboard with the laptop type components under it. Then being a flat desktop, you can forget the battery-pak, the attached display and the internal power supply, because portability is not an issue. Maybe add the ability to fire up dual displays.

In my laptop fixing travels, kids laptops, the family laptop gets dropped often. The desktop machine survives because it stays on the desk. The light weight and portability can make laptops short lived.

I think this flat desktop has an image problem because of what we expect a laptop or a desktop to look like. The cool thing is that the whole flat PC can be put on the keyboard tray of the desk. And they can stop requiring PC techs to be able to lift 50 lbs in IT job descriptions. So, keep your netbooks and laptops and stay mobile, but ATX cased PC needs a desktop makeover.

5. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    The "Always Innovating Touch Book" and a few other machines I can't recall at the moment are a bit like your dream machine in terms of form factor(and no, I don't like them...for a number of reasons), and I suspect there may be more of these kind of boxes popping up, so eventually you may get something close to your dream box.

A lot of what you're talking about though is the exact opposite(you know stuff that makes sense)of the way the industry is designed to work, so...

But there are things that are ALLEGEDLY going to hit the market soon that make it seem like the market is going to at least half-way respond to things like this.

6. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    Peace,

I'm a computer builder, overclocker, modder and benchmarker. I think your idea is cool and the good thing about computers is that in this day and time you can tailor them to suite your specific needs. I have laptops and desktops and no matter what happens I always go back to the desktop. :geek:

Peace

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    what he is talking about is the IMAC.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i have a sad story.....

i just bought an IMAC.

i gave thought to having a brother build a PC for me.
    i decided not to and went to the store and bought.
    i spent a significant amount of money.

i am sad because i just did not have the level of trust to go with a brother.
    the cats that i knew of in philly, i just did not feel like going through no drama with my money.
    i been burned too much. sad.

9. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    Peace,

I see you. It is sad yet it's your money to do as you wish. What I know is if we don't give our people a chance then who will?

Peace

10. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    TOTALLY EATING MY WORDS

I almost don't believe it:Zero-Footprint-PC

I still can't believe someone actually did it. :confused: