Black People : What do you see in this picture?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsVeraisblessed, Jan 20, 2013.

1. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    What messages were they sending their young ones?

[​IMG]

2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    are you referring to the little sisters playing with white barbies? i've been trying to remember if they had little black dollies back then? on the other hand, i'm not so sure it would be any different today. but to the little one's credit, they didn't go out and buy the dollies...their parents, or someone else did. I GUESS THAT QUESTION WOULD BE...what message were they sending their young ones?

or, am i on the wrong track with this?

3. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    That would be the best question for this pictures. As a matter of fact, i will edit my post and put that in..

4. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Marcus Garvey warned against white dolls. He even specified how White doll babies will make Black recipients want White children. I went to an interracial's home--so much White art!

Many of our folk don't understand Whites are propagandist. Sometimes you just let them be.

5. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I see the oppressed indoctrinating the next generation into a life long obsession with outward appearance. They have probably all been told how cute/ugly they are 10,000 times by this age. The dolls being white are nothing in comparison to the limits that gender-role will place on their conception of existence and possibility. It goes far beyond feeling like black is beautiful or not.. it goes down to why beauty even has anything to do with Female identity, worth and self-esteem. That's what I see.

6. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    The fact that these are black children are playing with WHITE dolls. This is a problem that many black children are faced with. Parents are not teaching them to appreciate their own. On the other hand it is very difficult to find black dolls for black children. My grand daughter is five years and she loves to go on the computer and look for barbies, but she changes the colour of the skin and the hair. I told her mother about getting dolls that look like her. The problem is that black folks will have to make them...White folks are not going to make black dolls. I have tried for so long to purchase a black looking doll and it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I have explained to her the importance of being black and being proud.

Several years at church one of my friends whose daughter was playing with a white doll and was with her white friend. I told the little girl, your mom should buy you a black doll and my friend was very upset. The mother told me in a conversation some years ago that IF SHE HAD TO REMAKE HERSELF SHE WOULD MAKE HERSELF WHITE.:( She told me IF she could get a white man she would marry one...I guess she has instilled that negative attitude in her daughter. I believe the responsibility rests with the parents. People might see this as unimportant but it is sending a wrong message to black children. No wonder we have so many of our black folks bleaching their skin.

These celebrities have been accused of bleaching their skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rihanna's parents.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One other thing, our black children need to see books that they read reflect their ethnicity. Colouring books, history books... No one will do it for us...we must begin to do it NOW... When our black celebrities believe that they must change the way they look what do you expect...

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace

I see some black children ignoring those ugly. White dolls, except for the one girl, top left who is obviously sick of looking at them, so she has decided to throw them in the trash One by one.

8. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    What's the time-frame?
    The clothes, hair and eyeglasses suggest 1970's....
    Hell -- they just STARTED making black Barbies with black features in the 2000's.
    http://www.barbie.com/activities/friends/soinstyle/#/toys/
    [​IMG]

The dolls are gorgeous. As a little girl in the 1980's it was hard enough to find a black doll that didn't have that hot pink lipstick....
    If you make a black doll, black kids will buy them. Otherwise, they'll play with what's available.
    Kids are smart but they're not THAT smart. Developmentally, they don't 'get' subtly and nuance.
    They see a... toy.

What messages are they sending?
    Who said there is/was one ...and I'm not reading into it.
    Black barbies probably didn't exist in large quantities in those days.
    Little girls like dolls. They rec'vd white dolls. What else are they supposed to play with?
    Doesn't mean that anyone was telling them to love any but themselves...or that this is the only mssg they absorbed.

Also?
    If anyone cites that Black/White Doll study? I will scream....
    I was just talking about that in another thread.
    Don't believe the hype. Not every little black girl had/has color issues.
    I didn't and I'm a chocolate black chick...(with 'good hurr').
    *laugh*

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    White Jesus pushed when it is written He had bronze skin

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician