Black Women : What do you mean when you say ... "Be a Man"

I fully understand what is meant usually if a woman tell a man to be a man, but what i don't think what a lot of woman don't understand is to be a woman in the traditional sense. I say this because when words like "be a man..." are said it's awayz in the traditional sense of the man taking care of everything. So if any woman was to tell me that I'd tell her to stay in a woman's place. Why because she obvious thinks there's a place for a man, which I have no problem as long as she has a place for a woman.

very good points Im_the_truth and Triniti. A lot of women are quick to tell a man " be a man" have no Idea what it means to be a man, especially a black man, simply due to the fact that they are female. I can't tell a woman to be a woman. I can observe how feminine a woman can be, but not what makes her a woman. I believe... in many cases, that women who often say this, have some issues with the dominant male in their childhood. Perhaps the father was not around or if he was, he was very abusive in one way or the other. So, as a consequence they were never exposed to a healthy experience and/or proper guidance from the father while growing up. To be very frank here... many women who say this are angry at men.

truth:

1. in traditional african communities of west africa. women officiate the rites of passage for girls.
2. in traditional african communities of west africa. women confirm the passage of girl to a woman.
3. in traditional african communities of west africa. men officiate the rites of passage for boys.
4 in traditional african communities of west africa. women and men confirm the passage of boys to men.

5. contemporary women hold too many emotional (read biases) hangups to continue to do so.

BUT -

until black women can resolve the following issues, they are can not and should not make qualitative judgements about manhood.

1. men are not all dogs. and the debate ends.
2. boys will not "just" be boys, as an excuse for bad behavior.
3. the majority of men are capable of thinking above the waist, but socialization, not nature inhibits that.
4. there is no gender war worth continuing in the black community.
5. release any hate or resentment of the black male.

Originally posted by ifasehun
truth:

1. in traditional african communities of west africa. women officiate the rites of passage for girls.
2. in traditional african communities of west africa. women confirm the passage of girl to a woman.
3. in traditional african communities of west africa. men officiate the rites of passage for boys.
4 in traditional african communities of west africa. women and men confirm the passage of boys to men.

5. contemporary women hold too many emotional (read biases) hangups to continue to do so.

BUT -

until black women can resolve the following issues, they are can not and should not make qualitative judgements about manhood.

1. men are not all dogs. and the debate ends.
2. boys will not "just" be boys, as an excuse for bad behavior.
3. the majority of men are capable of thinking above the waist, but socialization, not nature inhibits that.
4. there is no gender war worth continuing in the black community.
5. release any hate or resentment of the black male.

I have to also say that I agree with what is stated here, especially about how contemporary women hold too many emotional hangups...ain't that the truth!!! I often hear some women I know claim, "I'm a woman, we are just emotional." But I have always wondered if we over-exaggerate this base on this society's conditioning or if this is a universal truth. However I will rely on my instinct and say that in this society women have been conditioned to be over emotional..
In my opinion Ifasehun your commentary is on point....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back