What Do You Do?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by river, Jun 3, 2005.

?

You've decided to be a vegetaran but you have a freezer full of meat. You...

1. Eat the meat and then become a vegetarian

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Give it away

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Throw it away

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Keep it in the freezer in case you change your mind

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Feed it to your dog

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Sometimes the adjectments we have to make when we embark on a new life style require tough decisions.

2. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    One the eve of my vegetarian journey several years ago, I had opted to have a couple of "dinners" for friends where still meat-eaters.

However, my journey was not one that was sudden; I had been weaning myself from meat for years anyway.

It got to the point where, by the time I'd officially made the decision, there was very little meat left in my home anyways.
    So it all worked out.

PEACE

3. MieNYu

MieNYu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    well, are you temporarily going to be a vegegitarian? or is this for good? If temporarily I would just keep it frozen -- does anyone you live eat meat? I would just give it them -- why did you choose to become one?

4. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    This is true, however for me the decision was not very tough once I realized what I was putting into my body. I made my transition April of 2003 and have been moving forward. That is what life is all about making decisions, right

5. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    Your right sister its not always the easiest to change old habits...

personally when I made the transition it was somewhat difficult seeing as how I am from

Blak & Samoan Background and BOTH LOVE them some meat...

BUT if I were in that proposed scenario I would have just tossed out the meat...

If its meat from MY home from money that came out of MY pocket than its gotta go...

If I dont deem it good enough for my body I will not feed it to someone else who comes to my home.

Now on the otherhand my grandmother raised me cooking soul food and island dishes and if someone ELSE were to ask me to assist them in cooking it I wouldnt hesitate because vegetarianism was my choice not theirs.

6. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    I would give it away, especially if it’s expensive or good cuts (as meat or fish goes)…if that was the case…

I really didn’t have any meat I can think of in my refrigerator that I can remember having to pitch or give away, when I made a decision to get away from meat…even when my journey was rough over the years and sometimes I slipped back into the omnivore world a few times at someones else house, I never let anything that "use to have a head” enter my refrigerator or have a place on my table…I am not dogmatic or anti-omnivore so I would give the meat to those who still ate that way… I had to make some of the same decisions when I went vegan for a few years (which is truly vegetarian), which I’m slowly journeying back to. I also try to stay as organic as possible (around 80-90%) which can also be a bumpy road also.

But let say this, I’ll throw somethin’ out in a heartbeat if it’s givin’ me a “head-trip” or is a stumbling block.

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Me too

I'm in the same situation. My wife still eats meat but slowly she is scaling back her meat consumption. My son eats meat but he's at the age where he'll eat just about whatever I or my wife cook. Though it's hard to condone the spread of poison, I realize some people can eat meat and not suffer immediate adverse effects. So I suggest you give it away to friends and family or the homeless shelter or urban ministry. I had a bbq and grilled all my favorite meats left in the freezer for our men's ministry at my church. I still have some meat items left that my wife doesn't eat and is too tempting for me to prepare for someone else so I will just give them away. These are canned meats like tuna and salmon. My house will eventually be meatless.

Peace........