Black Education / Schools : What do you care about Public Schools? Lets watch them Fail.

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by MsInterpret, Apr 6, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    This thread was influenced by Sister Medusanegrita. She is right there is not much discussion on the public school...Why is that? Does no one care?

Public schools are closing everywhere, all over the country. Teachers are on strike, budget cuts, classes are jammed packed with kids, and too many days off.

Kids are literally being pumped out of schools. Children who still have not received the full amount of credits required to graduate are still receiving their high school diplomas.

Teachers being hired don't even have the proper degrees to teach.

Books are not up-to-date. And school programs such as, after school programs, sports, music classes are being cut.

Teachers and parents have little interaction or involvement with each other to discuss the needs for the students.

I can say from my own experiences in being enrolled in Private School and Public schools there is a HUGE difference in the education system.

For one obvious reason, money.

Private schools are funded individual. Tuition that is paid for that student goes directly into the school the child is attending. The parent sees where the tuition is going.

Public schools funding comes from tax payers and is widely distributed through out the state to ALL the public schools. However, one may not see where this money is going. A small example would be like having 20 people and having $1000 and dividing it 20 ways. Still not enough money.

The problem is that not everyone can afford Private schools. But what if it was required that Parents would have to pay some monetary amount to the school their child attended each year? It would go directly to that school. State Taxes would still go to Teachers, but the rest would be towards school supplies, books, food, programs.

I'm just throwing some suggestions out there.

What are some of yours?

2. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    oh smack me :getout: :SuN021: :qqb007:

I read the other one I inspired. Something about 'intellectuals' preaching useless crap? :rolleyes:

But I know what thread you are referring, and I will put my (abbreviated) comments from there here.

Full content and context of this quote is here....
    http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64043&page=3

I think that's a start, and others can chime in or go off that. If I get the courage and the wherewithal to try to do something again, other ideas would be good.

3. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Schools should have endowment funds that are controlled by professional money managers.

If the school is able to allocate the proper amount of money to the fund every year(I think it should be at least $10,000), and the portfolio manager is able to get an above average return on the money over the long run, the school will be totally self-sufficient within 20- 30 years after it started.

In order for schools to raise the money for the fund, I'd say get the best fund raisers in the world to do it: The Boy Scouts(and Girl Scouts, too)

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I too agree and second what brother Knowledge Seed said.

5. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I think that was part of the problem.

this sounds like an investment... along the lines of money markets, stocks, bonds, that sort of thing. Is that what this is - your idea?

Sounds feasible... if there is a return. But the key to all this is risk... and the possibility of losing money (especially in this economy. I got an old 403b still in effect and it's been losing money). I'm not sure if a public school can manage that risk if they begin to lose money. Panic may set in... and they would not be as sufficient as you think could be in 20-30 years.

It's possible... because from what I hear the stock market has it's downturns but it's been steadily increasing over the last 50 or so years.

6. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Yes, but it is could also include buying mortgages, tax liens, etc.

It's all in the investment philosophy of the money manager that the school hires.

If they decided to hire someone who strictly follows the same value-based investment philosophy as Warren Buffet, the likely of losing a single penny would require a microscope to see.

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    The Public "fool" system (as Bro. Djehuty Ma'at-Ra calls it) has become a major source of business and economic investment; it is no longer about educating folks and ensuring they receive beneficial knowledge and information. The purpose has become to "dumb" children down then "build" them back up in a way that they learn to build big business and corporations. Today via public education you learn to make a living and not live your making. It is very political nowadays.

I personally feel that we need to build community-oriented schools where we become the teachers and serve our own children's educational needs.

KWABENA

8. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    just like anything we pay taxes for

we should be concrned about anything that is going from public to private partnership , but especially after what we have endured and survived for 400 years ,
    we must be now , more dilligent then ever in returning parental input into the education of our children.

9. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    I went to private schools.

SO WHAT!!!

When I was in 6th grade I helped some public school kids do their science project. In fact I suggested their science project. We built a telegraph set. I designed it. But was it because I learned so much science in private schools.

NO!

Those nuns couldn't teach math worth a ****. They had science books sitting on the shelves and we never used them a single time.

So why can't Black Americans create a recommended reading list for kids by age and subject. Why do we need White people to define what EDUCATION IS. Yeah right, memorize useless junk from European culture. What General said "NUTS!" to the Germans at the Battle of the Bulge? Who cares?

um

10. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    For some reason I can't post links even tho I used to be able to do it.

I suggested this before:

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics by Stan Gibilisco

I wish someone had told me about a book like that when I was in 7th grade. Most "educators" Black and White act like a kid can't learn anything unless a teacher stands in front and gives lectures and then the public and private schools select crappy books. Excellent books are more important than teachers if the kid actually wants to learn.

Now I have found an electronic simulator but I can't post a link to it.

um