Black People : What Do We Do With The Mentally ILL?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kemetstry, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    This time of year, while everyone is giving thanks, wishing all a happy and merry. This time of year is also the cause of the greatest depressions and pushing people over the edge. More suicides happen during the holiday season, I am told. But today, they may also make people more homicidal. If you have a relative or close friend, that is going off the deep end. What can you do for this person? Who would you inform? Where could you take them to get help? Because today, people arent just suicidal. They are homicidal. And when they reveal their evil plans to someone, what can they do?

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Unfortunately, around here where I reside (and else where), there are very few places to turn to get the proper PROFESSIONAL help that one needs.

Most of the time people can't tell when someone is "going off the deep end".

I had a friend a couple years ago who attended my aunt's bday party. He seemed fine, looked fine, sounded find, but was not fine, because the next day he committed suicide.

And speaking personally, I have suffered from manic depressive for years...I didn't tell anyone up until this year about my thoughts of suicide. A lot of people won't come right out and say it because of fear of judgement, fear of people not really taking them seriously.

And it is often when people hear of someone talking about, suicide and even homicide that most people think that they are just joking, or are in denial about what they hear.

Most of the time when someone speaks this way, they are crying out for help before it's all too late.

I think the best response is to take time and listen, don't bombard the person with your personal views. Because for the most part they just want to be heard.

Once you do listen to them, seek out whatever professional help you can get ASAP...A lot of states have private funding for mental health and will work with people from low-income on a sliding scale.

A lot of churches offer counseling, non-profit organizations do as well...And I know that those who are active or veterans, that the military has special funding for that as well.

3. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Hmm, I don't much think about it. I don't know too many people without sufficient social networks. So I'm not aware of any at risk. But it's a good question. Though I wouldn't call the suicidal 'mentally ill.

Sometimes homicide and suicide are vogue.

4. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Sometimes I wonder why the government doesn't do as much financially for those who need mental health care....
    And I noticed a lot of insurances don't cover it as well either...
    It's like they want to sweep a problem under the rug or turn a blind eye to it.

5. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Most states had a half way decent mental health program. There were hospitals you could take people to and get them help. The elephant people came in and promised tax cuts in the 70s/80s. Crazy people dont vote. So, guess what got cut for a few extra dollars in peoples pockets?

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Yeah and no one thinks about it until the crazy goes psycho in the mall or theater your loved one is in.

7. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Creepy . . . but that's out of my control. I don't know anyone on the brink. Sigh. That's a pretty sad thought.

8. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

I know a few. Well a few that I think are good candidates. lol But in the past, people I've known have committed suicide. They showed no signs. In fact, they were very happy go lucky

9. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    No signs? Were things going well for them? It's a shame--Suicide.

10. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    This is a very sad subject. It doesn't help that back in the 80's many state funded mental facilities were shutdown..the political climate was such that liberals POV was that the mentally ill had a right not to take medication and it was wrong to take care of people who couldn't care for themselves. Since then, homelessness has increased by the masses. It's so bad that I've heard many stories of mentally ill folks purposely breaking the law to have the security of the prison system..a place that will provide meds and resting place. And with the economy sinking, the resources are few with a host of stipulations and many end up falling through the cracks.

:heart: