What do I tell her?

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by NDeep, Sep 29, 2004.

1. NDeep

NDeep Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ignorance is so rampant in our generation. Let me tell you what had happened:

I've always grown up around a multiracial group of people but it always seems to me that our brothers and sisters are acting the most ignorant, most. There was an incident today where a group of black kids were tossing food across the cafeteria at a group white kids, a group mind you that included a few of my friends, who were minding their own business. They did the right thing--well I don't know if it was the right thing, I would've spoken my mind--they walked away. It was so embarressing to watch. Later on, a friend of mine who was apart of the group being disrespected, asked me questions like I represent every black person in America. Questions like: "Why do they act that way and you don't?" "How can they treat us like trash and call us racist?" "How can they say we're holding them back?" At the time, all I could do was shake my head...

What do I say to her?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Sister NDeep ... there are all kinds of folk in every group / race of people. For whatever reason, White folk often want us to answer (be held accountable) for the actions of every Black person they know ... but they don't feel any obligation to answer (be held accountable) for every ugly action by other White folk.

Has she offered to explain to you why a White man would eat and have sex with dead bodies (Jeffery Dahmer), or how a White man can blow up a building full of people, including babies (Timothy McVay), or how a White man can go into a sovereign nation, kill thousands of its citizens, capture the President, kill his sons, and parade their dead bodies all over the television (George Bush)?

You do not expect her to speak for them, and she should give you the same courtesy.

All you can do is answer for what you do. Your opinion of why someone else does a thing, can never be more than a guess. If she really wants to know why other folk do what they do, tell her to go and ask them personally, at which time you'll find she's really not "that" interested in finding the answers to her questions.

Hope this helps.

:heart:

Destee

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    That's right!

You be responsible for YOUR actions.....Nobody elses. Just be as isolated from trouble as you can be.

Cedric Denson

4. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    it may be just me, but for some reason i would have been offended if a group of white people had walked up to me and asked me a question on behalf of my whole race. because it is small minded to think we all act the same. now those group of black people were wrong for doing what they did, but are you sure it was a racial joke. it could of been plain bullyin, you really never know. if it wasn't of course it was wrong, and maybe it is a little testy for the white group cause if they would have said anything, they would have been shut down. a lot of black people don't trust whites at all and have some resentment towards them. i can say myself that i will get upset for things like a white person commenting on affirmative action for instance. i may not agree wit it, but i dont' want the white person complainin. cause i neva hear them sayin anythinga about slavery, unless it's a white person that hangs out with black people or studies their specific history.

5. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    Why does this bring to mind this book, "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" I forget who wrote it, offhand. But, this book should be a must read for everyone.

Now, what do you tell her? Explain that you cannot speak for millions of Black people, you can only speak for you. There are something like 30 million Black people in America, and no one has meet them all, so there is no way that ANYONE can "speak for" Black folks.

One of the points in that book (man, who wrote that book? :thinking:): someone (white) asked someone (Black) why they were sitting with other Blacks at lunch; the Black person was told that separating themselves from others (whites) was rude, yada yada yada. And I believe the response was "Well, don't all the white kids sit together?"

6. mahoganyqueen

mahoganyqueen Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Everything or nothing

What to tell her? Two choices: Everything or nothing. We have our reasons for acting a certain way individually. One of those kids might have been throwing stuff because he was having a bad day. Or he might of been throwing stuff because he's studying the Civil Rights Movement in class and saw pictures of his people getting attacked by dogs. Like I said, everything or nothing. You make the decision on how you want to school her.